Re-directed post ...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of my Dad's didn't get any post for a few weeks, but not being a chap in popular demand he only chased it up when he didn't receive his usual bank statement or his wifes new passport. The passport office assured him it had been sent out a week earlier and it should have been received.

He then followed it up with Royal Mail and they told him it had been re-directed as requested by him for all of his mail! The man had not asked for any mail to be re-directed but RM gave him a copy of a form that was signed by someone else and instructed his mail to be sent to an address in Manchester.

Despite arguing that he hadn't signed the form or moved address RM didn't want to know and said they couldn't do anything to help. So the next stop was to the police and they said the same thing. Something isn't quite right if the law is allowing such easy theft/fraud and leaving a person in Manchester free to use all the documents they have obtained, including a passport.

Hi Crapstone,

This sounds very odd, when i last did my redirection with the P.O. i had to take proof of residence for my current address to allow it to go ahead. Have you checked what the correct procedure is now and see if the P.O. have breached their own protocol. It seems strange that the police are not willing to get involved perhaps you could ring the manchester police and ask them to check out the address who knows what it might uncover. There are so many passport scams that we read about.

Keep us informed.

N

When I did a re-direction two letters where sent by RM - one to the new address and one to the old address (with a label stating NOT TO BE REDIRECTED). These letters confirm that the re-direction is to start soon and allows for cancellation.

Good luck,

John

according to Royal Mail's website, two specific forms of ID are required to enable redirection to take effect.

There's also this interesting paragraph -

Your personal details could be acquired by someone stealing your mail, particularly if others have access to your post. Fraudsters may also seek to redirect your mail without your permission. If you suspect your mail is being stolen, or whether a mail redirection application has been made in your name without your knowledge, contact Royal Mail Customer Care on 08457 740 740.

That's where I would start.

but you don't you need to supply card details for payment? This will be used for a background check for authenticity along with your telephone number.

The important thing is that they have a process in place for cases like this.

I'm not personally involved in this but it's very strange and not ideal. I have no reason not to believe my Dad's friend and he seems to have tried all the right channels. Other than stopping the redirection they have offered nothing.

It could all be a mistake but if someone has received a passport in Manchester (innocent party or not) and hasn't returned it then you'd think the police would be looking into it.

I know from experience that it's fairly easily to redirect mail without a person knowing. My OH had all our joint mail and my own mail redirected to a factory unit in a bid to stop me knowing how much debt he had got us into.

Edited by Crapstone

I set up my re-direction on the Royal Mail website & didn't need to send any ID, it was that easy.

Are you sure? You can renew re-direction on the website, but to set it up it must be done in person at a post office

Hi, i noticed last nite when searching the web there is another site for redirection of mail. You just click on the companies that you want to receive your mail from. Ooh no DCA ticked then lol I will try and find it again it was late and i forgot to bookmark it.