You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

moggieb

Any Gamblers? Advice needed.......

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3985 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. Hubby bets regularly so he's not a novice. However, he placed an accumulator in his regular shop the other day (well known chain). Stood in the queue to place his bet and was told his first horse was a non runner. Clerk said to quickly re-write his slip with another horse which he did. Bet was accepted. All horses won. When he went to claim his winnings there was a disputute as to the time the first race started. They say the bet was placed too late:confused: and they will only pay out on the result of the 2nd & 3rd races-a difference over £100.00. Can he appeal & to who? Area manager has said they will not pay out the full sum:(.

I didn't think the machine would except the horse if the race it was in had already started, however I am just thinking out loud.

I'll ask a friend who works in a bookies tomorrow and post back.

I would say that if they are able to prove that the bet was placed too late then there is nothing you can do about it, I am assuming that you can't prove the bet was placed in time?

On the bright side you had two winners, I hope you'll have more luck in the future, I imagine you'll use a different bookmakers though.

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others. :)

Stood in the queue to place his bet and was told his first horse was a non runner. Clerk said to quickly re-write his slip with another horse which he did. Bet was accepted.
[my emphasis]

I'm not familiar with the specific laws with relate to how Bookmaker's conduct their business, but in general terms it would seem clear that when the establishment accepted the bet, they entered a legally binding contract with the customer to provide a service, and to behave according to all laws and regulations which govern the betting industry.

Arguably, if the bookmaker's are unhappy about the bet, they should not have accepted it. If this means the specific clerk who accepted the bet needs to be given further training, then so be it but from where I'm standing, they would appear to have a legal duty to pay up.

Edited by Tezcatlipoca

Although there are rules and regs for Bookmakers, the actual law states that in fact, they don't have to pay any winning bets out at all (regardless of the time they were put on). It is basically a gentleman's agreement. I once put a bet on a horse at my local bookies and it was running in France. The horse won at the bookies odds of 10/1, but as I "Didn't stipulate I wanted the English odds", the bet automatically went on the French odds. Those odds were less than 5/1:confused:. The shop manager said "Tough". After going back and forth to the shop throughout the day, I finally asked for an envelope for head office, or the email address. Just as I asked for them, the manager was already on the phone to them (I think she actually worked out what was coming) and they agreed to pay me. It was that simple. I think she had earlier been on the phone to them and they told her that if I made too much of a stink about it, then they should pay up. 9 out of ten times, the head office will pay.

Your argument is valid. How many people have placed a bet slightly after the off, and when the horse has lost they have thrown their slips away? When in fact, they should have every right to go up to the counter and say "Can I have my money back please, because I put that bet on after they were racing"? If the horse would have won, they would say "you put it on too late, so here's your stake back".

I have a lot of experience with this and I believe, if you make enough of a fuss about it, they will inevitably pay the full bet (after all, they accepted it). One thing that Bookies don't like is bad publicity (especially the big ones, William Hill etc). Tell him to go back to the shop, get a printed copy of his original bet and ask them what their complaints procedure is. As soon as the manager gets whiff of that, he will be on the phone to head office anyway to warn them. They will normally then ask what the problem is. When that is explained, they should honour the bet without any hassle.

It is my belief that the bookies will say no to everyone, because most people will back down and accept what they say. Pretend they are a DCA and deal with it that way.

Hope this helps moggie.

PS. YOU NEVER SEE A BOOKIE RIDING A PUSHBIKE.

Edited by SOD'EM

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Although there are rules and regs for Bookmakers' date=' the actual law states that in fact, they don't have to pay any winning bets out at all (regardless of the time they were put on).[/quote']

If that's the case, then your partner really doesn't have a leg to stand on, moggieb.

You could argue your case, but - if what SOD'EM says is accurate, and I've no reason to think otherwise - it would appear to be at the discretion of the Bookmakers.

As SOD'EM says, however, I'd certainly complain and threaten to make what you view as unfair behaviour public. Even if it doesn't produce the desired result, it will make you feel better.

That's exactly right Tez. I would shame them into paying. You would be surprised how many Bookies will back down if they think you are complaining about their practices to other punters in the shop.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)