Unauthorised Maestro transactions online

Mr Happy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son aged 10 has an account for an online game, you have the option to play the game for free or pay for members which give you a lot more things to do, there is also an option where you can pay cash for extra in game items like clothing and weapons.

I paid for his membership because he is off school and it helps him pass the time when it is raining, I returned home from work one day and he had spent £60 on game content by using the buy option and selecting default card, apparently there is a parental control option that allows you to restrict his actions but it was not made clear and he needs to start playing before it can be set up, I have since set up parental control and could see no reference to blocking use of my card.

I contacted NatWest to see if I could get a refund or cancel the charge but they said I have given them my card details and they can use it as they see fit, whether it was authorised by me or not, the only option was to speak to their fraud department and possibly prosecute my son.

As you can imagine I will not be taking my 10 year old son to court so I am basically stuffed.

I also contacted the game company and they said he needs to enter a CCV2 code before he could use it, my son showed me and you do not need to enter the code, they did kindly offer to close the account for me, very kind considering I have just spent £60 on virtual clothes for it.

Any ideas or am I well and truly.

Guest Old_andrew2018

Well yes you are well and truly, in reality might you son buy more options if he continued playing on line games

Andy

I find it very scary that a company can take as much money from your account if you give them permission to use it once, perhaps they should make people aware when they open new bank accounts.

My son has been using on line games for years this is the only one that lets a minor use the parents credit card when they feel like it, he will no longer be able to because I will no longer pay for memberships for him.

I find it very scary that a company can take as much money from your account if you give them permission to use it once, perhaps they should make people aware when they open new bank accounts.

My son has been using on line games for years this is the only one that lets a minor use the parents credit card when they feel like it, he will no longer be able to because I will no longer pay for memberships for him.

It is because you are registered with the site. Is there anyway of setting limits to the amount on their list of options on the site(that same as you can do for betting sites, for example)? Can you remove your card details from the site?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

There is a listed way to remove your card from the site but when you get there you can only change it, you can not actually change the number but the expiry and valid from date, I guess you could remove it if you added another but I am not going to be doing that in a hurry, I have changed the valid from date and expiry but this seams a dodgy way of making a card unusable.

I have been told that the player can not use the card unless their is a CCV2 entered but my son showed me that is not the case.

take a screen print of the page where it shows not need for the ccv2. then i would challenge the company stating u have proof the company does not ask for that to be provided.

I know most companys ask for a cvv and a password but as i am a visa customer then i dont know if it is the same with maestro. Tho i would assume it is as i am a visa debit card holder and that requires a password. My partner is also a visa debit holder and he is required to have a password aswell.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

sorry just googled verified by maestro and found this link.

Introducing MasterCard® SecureCode

MasterCard SecureCode | Cardholder Services| MasterCard Worldwide UK

Mods it is not a advertisement for anything just explains about the verify by mastercard password.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.