Cabot : Has anyone ever tried this .....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm having a battle with Cabot over a Morgan Stanley/Goldfish account which they have purchased. See this thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/131660-fred-bassett-morgan-stanley.html

Now, I think their argument is full of holes for many reasons, chief of which is the lack of an enforceable CCA.

As it happens, I will be visiting the area where Cabot are based in a couple of weeks time and it occurred to me that if they have the valid paperwork, they ought to be more than happy for me to visit their office and view it.

Is this a good idea? What have I got to lose? Are they likely to do it? etc. etc. I can see a few pitfalls in this approach and would appreciate any advice I can get.

Regards to all.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been tempted to do the same thing, however, my fear would be that Id get there and they'd say, Oh sorry all our paperwork is at the branch in Switzerland!!!! or something like that.

Just my opinion though, if you do go, please let CAG know what happened, Id love to know.

OH has often mentioned taking a nice little gift for them, but then we might end up spending the rest of our lives behind bars, so..... we thought better of it. Then we found CAG, WAHOO!

Red

Righteousness & Justice Will

One Day Rule

:p:p:p:p

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ive been tempted to do the same thing, however, my fear would be that Id get there and they'd say, Oh sorry all our paperwork is at the branch in Switzerland!!!! or something like that.

Just my opinion though, if you do go, please let CAG know what happened, Id love to know.

OH has often mentioned taking a nice little gift for them, but then we might end up spending the rest of our lives behind bars, so..... we thought better of it. Then we found CAG, WAHOO!

Red

Well I didn't intend to go unannounced. My intention is to write to them first and try to set an appointed time. Essentially I want to call their bluff. The way I see it, If they've got the valid paperwork they ought to be more than happy to show it to me. If they haven't, they've got something to hide.

What I'm not sure about is whether they would have received all of the paperwork from Goldfish in the first place. Cabot bought the debt. Would they have got the original paperwork to go with it?

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

Cabot bought a Morgan Stanley account in my name. I argued it was uinenforceable but at a push they could probably have had it enforcead. Sheer chutzpah won the day and they never pursued me for it again.

On the point you raise, I doubt anyone would even come to reception to see you.

Cabot bought a Morgan Stanley account in my name. I argued it was uinenforceable but at a push they could probably have had it enforcead. Sheer chutzpah won the day and they never pursued me for it again.

On the point you raise, I doubt anyone would even come to reception to see you.

Like I said Pinky, I don;t intend to turn up out of the blue. It's 'gesture politics' if you like. I will invite them to let me see the original documents. If they refuse then it won't look very good on them if they then produce the same if they take me to court.

I just wonder if anyone has done this before. I'd be very surprised if it hasn't happened.

Regards.

Fred

The question now is: Would Goldfish have handed over all of the original paperwork when the debt was sold to Cabot? To my mind it would be crazy if they hadn't, but this is the world of DCA's where nothing would surprise me.

Fred

Oh well, it's done now. Let's see what happens.

Cabot Financial

PO Box 241

West Malling

Kent

ME19 4NA

FAO xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

6rd August 2009

Dear Sir,

Account In Dispute – I Acknowledge No Debt to your Company

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I refer to your letter dated 29th July and my emailed reply of 3rd August.

I will be in Kent between 15th – 17th August, not very far from your offices. I would be grateful if you could let me visit your office so that I can see the original agreement, bearing my signature, in relation to this account. I would also like to see any other documents relating to this account. As my request amounts to a Subject Access Request, I will of course be willing to pay the £10 fee normally associated with such a request, provided that you let me utilise your copying facilities for any documents that I feel I need.

I imagine that the best day for me to do this would be on Monday 17th August, but am quite happy to visit on either the Saturday or Sunday if this is convenient. Cabot always seems to be very keen to threaten its customers with doorstep visits, so I feel quite sure that you won’t mind me visiting you. If you are unwilling to allow this, please would you be kind enough to let me have your reasons in writing.

If I do not hear from you then I will assume that it is OK to visit your premises to view these documents and will do so on Monday 17th August 2009 at approximately 11 am. As I am one of your valued customers, feel free to invite me out to lunch.

Yours faithfully,

Fred Bassett

• Haha 1

The question now is: Would Goldfish have handed over all of the original paperwork when the debt was sold to Cabot? To my mind it would be crazy if they hadn't, but this is the world of DCA's where nothing would surprise me.

Fred

I would be very surprised if they had any paperwork. Remember, these debts are sold in large tranches. Generally,they are provided with a electronic 'file' which contains all the information the OC knows (date agreement taken, debt outstanding, etc.)

I would be very surprised if they had any paperwork. Remember, these debts are sold in large tranches. Generally,they are provided with a electronic 'file' which contains all the information the OC knows (date agreement taken, debt outstanding, etc.)

I'm sure you are right. What can they do without the original though?

Regards.

Fred

Cabot always seems to be very keen to threaten its customers with doorstep visits, so I feel quite sure that you won’t mind me visiting you. If you are unwilling to allow this, please would you be kind enough to let me have your reasons in writing.

Love it :D

the comment about lunch...magic!

:lol:

Successfully claimed back mis-sold PPI (Barclays Bank) 2009-10 (£8500)

Ran a paid-for DMP. Deeply respect those who self-manage a DMP; it is possible to do with the help of fellow CAGGERS

Offered F&F to all my creditors. All closed out including a particularly intransigent and stubborn one - who eventually saw sense after 10 months of nonsense!

Does not condone debt avoidance but violently disagrees with the antics of debt collectors and their behavior towards the ones trying to pay. I am a great believer in what goes around, comes around. Keep up the good fight!

I have seen the future and the future contains a World where DCA threat centres are open to their 'customer' just like any other 'reputable' business.

I have asked Link Financial 'when would be a good time for me to pop into the office to sort it out once and for all' as yet I've no reply.

There's a real argument for not discussing sensitive financial business over the telephone or via a protracted written dialogue. Invite yourself and charge them for the privilege you are after all a 'client'.:D

You have the right to food money.

If you don't mind a little investigation, humiliation, and if you cross your fingers rehabilitation..............

I've made this offer with 2 creditors both of which supplied signed cca.s however they alleged prescribed terms were on the reverse. I offered to vist there offices to confirm that the prescribed terms were genuinely on the reverse of the original documents. I Stated I was prepared to visit there offices to examine the original document which they would be required to produce in court if they indeed intended to carryout that threat.

My job takes me all over the country so I could have visited them.

Both Creditors seem to have shut up. One since September last year and one since march this year. These creditors were very aggressive but my offer to visit seems to have tripped them up.

Take Care

Jon

I've made this offer with 2 creditors both of which supplied signed cca.s however they alleged prescribed terms were on the reverse. I offered to vist there offices to confirm that the prescribed terms were genuinely on the reverse of the original documents. I Stated I was prepared to visit there offices to examine the original document which they would be required to produce in court if they indeed intended to carryout that threat.

My job takes me all over the country so I could have visited them.

Both Creditors seem to have shut up. One since September last year and one since march this year. These creditors were very aggressive but my offer to visit seems to have tripped them up.

Take Care

Jon

Thanks Jon. This is what I'm expecting with Cabot. In my case, I'm wondering, if they did actually accept my offer, which of the 3 different sets of terms and conditions would be with the 'original'.

Regards.

Fred

Evening Fred - I would love to see what kind of response you get from this - I have 3 ongoing battles with Cabot - One is a major pain in ass one i haven't hear from since complaints to various bodies and the latest re morgan stanley/goldfish for hubby where was told acc on hold whilst looking for cca then out of the blue a couple weeks back a letter requesting the full outstanding amount. Goodluck & Take care,

Mpols x

'Confidence grows & heartbeat slows to a steady stronger beat, as each member unites, against DCA fights & we all sail aboard the CAG fleet!' :rolleyes:

:pKeep smiling peeps!

Oh well, it's done now. Let's see what happens.

Cabot Financial

PO Box 241

West Malling

Kent

ME19 4NA

FAO xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

6rd August 2009

Dear Sir,

Account In Dispute – I Acknowledge No Debt to your Company

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I refer to your letter dated 29th July and my emailed reply of 3rd August.

I will be in Kent between 15th – 17th August, not very far from your offices. I would be grateful if you could let me visit your office so that I can see the original agreement, bearing my signature, in relation to this account. I would also like to see any other documents relating to this account. As my request amounts to a Subject Access Request, I will of course be willing to pay the £10 fee normally associated with such a request, provided that you let me utilise your copying facilities for any documents that I feel I need.

I imagine that the best day for me to do this would be on Monday 17th August, but am quite happy to visit on either the Saturday or Sunday if this is convenient. Cabot always seems to be very keen to threaten its customers with doorstep visits, so I feel quite sure that you won’t mind me visiting you. If you are unwilling to allow this, please would you be kind enough to let me have your reasons in writing.

If I do not hear from you then I will assume that it is OK to visit your premises to view these documents and will do so on Monday 17th August 2009 at approximately 11 am. As I am one of your valued customers, feel free to invite me out to lunch.

Yours faithfully,

Fred Bassett

Theres some lovely pubs in West Malling Fred...but somehow i doubt you'll hear anything so i reckon your buying your own lunch lmao !!!!:D:D:D

Interesting, very interesting.

CahootLetter120809.jpg

Cabot Financial

PO Box No 241

West Malling

Kent

ME19 4NA

FAO xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

13th August 2009

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

With reference to your letter dated 12th August 2009. Thank you for confirming that you do not have a copy of a properly-executed agreement in relation to this account.

I trust that you will now accept that this account is in serious dispute because of your failure to provide this information. I trust also that Cabot will now obey the law and cease collections activity on this account until such time as you are able fulfill your legal obligations in this respect.

Yours sincerely,

Fred Bassett