Worried09

Council Tax arrears - please help

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4016 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello,

I have been renting an apartment for about 2.5 years which my sister has been living in whilst I have been working abroad.

No council tax has been paid on the property to date and I have just had a call from the council (Salford) saying I owe them £2400 which has been passed back to them by bailiffs.

I briefly explained to them over the phone that I will pay the money but in installments, to which they said they would send out a questionairre.

I presume that the questionairre is going to ask for my employment details, NI number, employers contact details etc.

I want to pay the money back with a direct debit of £75 a month and I will pay installments of around £500 every 3 months however i do not want my employer to know anything about this.

Will they agree to the payment plan?

Will they negotiate with me without employment details?

Will they contact my employer?

Please help.

Thankyou

If this has been passed back to them by bailiffs, then it must have gone to court and a liability order granted.

You should have notice of going and notification of the liability order after.

They will accept the instalments, but if you should default, they will use another method of collection, so don't over-reach yourself and agree to a payment you might not be able to keep to.