You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• look up on land registry who owns the property then get in contact with your local environmental heath dept.   dx  
    • Hello all,   I have recently moved into a new property. The bedroom window is facing a bunch of commercial crates which have trash on top of them. The trash is maybe two metres away from the window, making it impossible for the window to be open (I am also afraid of rats being there).   The other windows of the property are facing a communal, enclosed area, which is making it difficult for the property to be properly ventilated. I have already raised this issue with my estate agency and they are trying do to something about it (to be honest, if I leave everything to them, this issue won't be solved until my tenancy is finished, and that is more than one year away).   I am asking for advice, or how could I approach this issue.   I have spoken to my council and, since they do not deal in private property, there is nothing they can do, at least this is what they have told me.   The property with the trash is not owned by my landlord. It is an open space, with big crates, closed off by a fence. If I could, I would climb those crates and remove the trash myself but I cannot. I also cannot climb out the window to reach the trash, as the window is too small.   At times, I see a car in that property but I have never seen the driver. I left a note in the car's window explaining the issue and giving my number. This was around a week ago and nobody came back to me.   
    • Hi   First off ALL Tenants need to re report all the different repairs again via their repairs procedure. Yes its good to get a list of all properties repairs with photo/video evidence signed by all property tenants but you all need to fight this individually as well as a group.   Next you all need to look up your rights on Repair i.e. The Right to Repair Scheme and also their Complaints Procedure.   http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/133/made   https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/right_to_repair_for_council_tenants   All Tenants need to take control back with these repair and ask in writing titling any letter 'FORMAL COMPLAINT' and stating the repair and why it hasn't been carried out to date and an exact date when it will be completed.   You also require clarification whether these Repairs come under the Right to Repair Scheme and if so why we were never informed of this. (delete or amend)   You also require copies of the following:   Right to Repair Scheme Policy (Not the Leaflet Repair and Maintenance Policy (Not the Leaflet) Solar Panel Policy (Not the Leaflet) Complaints Policy (Not the Leaflet) Equality & Diversity Policy (Not the Leaflet) When you get the above policies you need to take your time reading them and just think to yourself 'DID THEY DO THAT' in relation to your issue and if not mark it this way you build a list of what they haven't done/followed as per there own Policies and use it against them.   They will have time limits to complete repairs within for Emergency, Urgent, Routine repairs and if they exceed that time limit and need to extend it remember it is with you the tenants agreement not them telling you and tough you can wait.   (bear in mind any repairs during COVID-19 the time limits are now different and most routine repairs are stopped)  
    • I was on UC in late March, and recently received some quite non-committal message that the commitments would be returning, but no indication when.     If I remember correctly the expectation was that we could find at least one job per day to which to apply, or some such nonsense.   Given that the government can only guess how many workplaces will be safe :  1) to commute to/from at the time of job application; 2) to work in at the time of job application;    3) to commute to/from at the date of starting a job ; 4) to work in at the date of starting a job,  5) to commute to/from at the date permanent WFH is dropped; 6) to work in at the date permanent WFH is dropped,    and given that we have lost 20% of our economy, I fail to see how they can both reasonably and immediately mandate any minimum figure of jobs we must apply for whilst this virus just killed over 135 people in the UK (stats released today).  That is only down from 155 last week, and about 175 a fortnight back.   At this rate it will be another 7 weeks MINIMUM before the mortality rate is zero - if it ever reaches zero before the inevitable second wave.  
    • who has sent this 'letter of claim' come from and doe sit mention the pre action protocol and include a separate response pack? 
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 12 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
thecookiemonster

Need urgent help regarding a returned item

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3975 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Last week a bought a EEE TOP all in one touchscreen PC from Aria Technology, I took it out of the packaging and had a quick go with it and decided that it wasn't for me so i packaged it up securely in all the original packaging that i got with the item.

Today i receive an email saying it has been rejected due to apparently having scratches on the screen which i know is completely wrong.

Me and my partner packed it back up and was very careful with it plus we checked the screen and there was no marks on it whatsoever.

I will take the matter to Court if required but what do you think about this matter? It was sent back within 2 days of getting it.

Edited by thecookiemonster

You have rights under DSR if you bought it by mail order or online. However, if they are saying it is damaged (and it may well have become damaged in transit) you would be liable (or more properly, your carrier).

How did you arrange to return it?

You have rights under DSR if you bought it by mail order or online. However, if they are saying it is damaged (and it may well have become damaged in transit) you would be liable (or more properly, your carrier).

How did you arrange to return it?

I bought it online, But like i said it was packaged just as i had received it, and was packed in 3 different boxes, there is no way it could have been damaged in transit in my opinion but i am seething and fuming, as they are going to send an unwanted item back to me.

It was sent back using Parcelforce which i had to pay for.

sounds like a [problem], ask for photographic evidence;could be faked though! If you are going to make a claim against the carrier they will want to see the evidence; Arrange for carrier to go to premises and inspect it!

sounds like a [problem], ask for photographic evidence;could be faked though! If you are going to make a claim against the carrier they will want to see the evidence; Arrange for carrier to go to premises and inspect it!

Exactly what has gone through my mind!

I used it for 5 mins, i didn't use it long enough to scratch it and it was packaged very very securely and i just cannot understand it for one minute, I have 4 witnesses who checked it before it was packed, It was just like new when it was sent back and now they are refusing to refund my money and said i will have to pay to get the item sent back to me but i don't want it back.

I'm not sure that's the case. The OFT guide for business on distance selling (parts 3.62) state that "If the consumer does not exercise reasonable care and the goods are damaged, [the retailer] may have a claim against them for breach of this statutory duty."

If reasonable care was taken, then the retailer has a statutory duty to make a full refund of all monies, other than the direct cost of returning the goods (and then, only if they had stated so in their terms and conditions).

Any got any advice on what kind of email i should send to the company? Aria Technology Ltd?

I'm not sure that's the case. The OFT guide for business on distance selling (parts 3.62) state that "If the consumer does not exercise reasonable care and the goods are damaged, [the retailer] may have a claim against them for breach of this statutory duty."

If reasonable care was taken, then the retailer has a statutory duty to make a full refund of all monies, other than the direct cost of returning the goods (and then, only if they had stated so in their terms and conditions).

More than reasonable care was taken, It was packed just as i had received it and there was not a single mark or scratch on the screen and i paid Parcelforce to collect the item and deliver it back to the company.

Write asking for refund or proof of damage?

Did you pay by credit card, then you can do charge back.

Write asking for refund or proof of damage?

Did you pay by credit card, then you can do charge back.

No unfortunately i did not pay by credit card, I paid by debit card :(

The trouble is Parcelforce are well-known for being sonewhat careless, so if the goods were not the same when delivered back to the company, then your claim is against Parcelforce - which is complicated because you don't wat the item.

To protect your interests, you NEED photographs of the item as it was delivered to the firm. If they do not recieve it in a saleable condition, they do not have to refund, as it is immaterial to them WHO caused the damage. Incidentally, you'd be amazed at how well-packed stuff can be wrecked whilst the outer packaging remains intact.

The dealership are within their rights, if they do not recieve it undamaged they cannot resell it, so the responsibility is with you as they got it to you safely. Incidentally, the fact you paid for the return is correct - you changed your mind, so any return would be at your expense.

I believe claiming against Parcelforce is your only realistic action for resolving the issue.

I don't believe for one minute that the item has scratches on the screen not at all, I am totally fuming because i feel like i have been conned.

Any got any advice on what kind of email i should send to the company? Aria Technology Ltd?
An LBA, outlining their statutory duties under the DSRs.

You could use these as references:

The OFT's Business Guide to DSR , and The OFT's Consumer Guide to DSR.

Edited by My Real Name

The trouble is Parcelforce are well-known for being sonewhat careless, so if the goods were not the same when delivered back to the company, then your claim is against Parcelforce
If this were a contractual arrangement, then yes. However, this is a matter of statutory duties.

If it can be determined that employing Parcelforce was not taking reasonable care, then the claim might be against them.

To protect your interests, you NEED photographs of the item as it was delivered to the firm. If they do not recieve it in a saleable condition, they do not have to refund, as it is immaterial to them WHO caused the damage. Incidentally, you'd be amazed at how well-packed stuff can be wrecked whilst the outer packaging remains intact.

The dealership are within their rights, if they do not recieve it undamaged they cannot resell it, so the responsibility is with you as they got it to you safely. Incidentally, the fact you paid for the return is correct - you changed your mind, so any return would be at your expense.

DSRs do not afford the retailer the right to be able to resell any item returned under the DSRs. Section 3.59 of the OFT guide covers this to some extent.

"The DSRs do not link cancellation rights with a supplier’s ability to resell items as new."

I believe claiming against Parcelforce is your only realistic action for resolving the issue.

In issues like these, it becomes an issue of 'he says/she says' - What is so different about your return of an item? They will have refunded people and dealt with returns before. You used PARCELFORCE who have the Olympic record for throwing cardboard boxes - so you are in no position to confirm the level of damage on reciept, only that it left you undamaged.

Without proof, you've nothing to fall back on.

Other than the OFT guidance on Distance Selling Regulations.

"The DSRs do not link cancellation rights with a supplier’s ability to resell items as new."

You made this link, not me. The shop mist recieve the goods back in a saleable condition. If scratched, this is not a saleable condition, and they are not required to make a refund.

In issues like these, it becomes an issue of 'he says/she says' - What is so different about your return of an item? They will have refunded people and dealt with returns before. You used PARCELFORCE who have the Olympic record for throwing cardboard boxes - so you are in no position to confirm the level of damage on reciept, only that it left you undamaged.

The item was sent to me in a big box, then that had another box inside it and then another box, and it was packaged so securely that it would have had to have been thrown around at some force to damage the actual item was also had been been packaged very securely in it's box and bare in mind that this box was put inside two other very securely packaged boxes.

Other than the OFT guidance on Distance Selling Regulations.

Which is worth...? Not a lot if they assert the goods were damaged. I'm impressed you are prepared to accept that PF is a respected shipper! :)

The item was sent to me in a big box, then that had another box inside it and then another box, and it was packaged so securely that it would have had to have been thrown around at some force to damage the actual item was also had been been packaged very securely in it's box and bare in mind that this box was put inside two other very securely packaged boxes.

Is this the issue? I thought it was fine when you recieved it? You just changed your mind and sent it back. THEN it goes pear-shaped! So it is the retailer who has the task of confirming safe delivery or not.

Is this the issue? I thought it was fine when you recieved it? You just changed your mind and sent it back. THEN it goes pear-shaped! So it is the retailer who has the task of confirming safe delivery or not.

As i said it was fine when i got it, i did not want it so sent it back, it was packaged very very well indeed so how the hell did it supposedly have scratches on the screen when it got back to the retailer?

Yes i didn't think the item was as good as expected and sent it back for a refund which has now been refused.

Sorry i messed up that other post, I meant to have said that the item was sent back to them in a big box, the actual item was packed securely in it's box and was then put inside another box and then another box just like i received it, It got to me fine and it would have got back to them fine in my opinion.

You made this link, not me. The shop mist recieve the goods back in a saleable condition.
By what authority?

If scratched, this is not a saleable condition, and they are not required to make a refund.
But they are required to make a refund under the provisions of the DSRs.

From what I've read concerning returns, I would certainly insure any goods I return under the DSR's.

But how do you prove to the carrier that the goods were undamaged when they were packed? A series of photos during the packaging process?

I realise none of this helps the OP. Apologies.

I arranged with the company i bought the item off to send the item back 2 days after i bought it, Isn't that under the DSR?