• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HBOS screwed up account closure

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI everyone

OK

On friday past i went into my BOS branch in town and closed my account - below is what happened.

1 - spoke to man behind counter - made him check that no DD were coming out of my account and that no money was due to be taken

2 - man agreed nothing was due out and i wasnt in debt

3 - man showed me forms to sign to close account - i read and signed my name - he showed me another form - £8.99 in cash to be returned to me.

4 - cash of £8.99 given - slip signed - account closed.

5 - me happy to be rid of them!

Nope ............

Today i recieved a letter saying that i am overdrawn by £6 and i will be charged a £35 fee on 30th september.

1 - account not in arrears - account at £0.00 when closed??????

Phoned up telephone banking - they said that on tuesday i had £20 come in - i agreed.

£8.99 for pizza hut

£10.00 for money

Now - i know HBOS takes about a year for Autopayments to come out propery but even the woman told me that on account closure i was £2.88 in credit.

She basically said that the man didnt tell me everything and she would do nothing to help me!!!!!!!!!

I told her about the £8.99 the man gave me - she told me i needed to speak to that person directly or his manager as its obviously a mistake but i would still be charged the £35!!!!!!!!!!

Now - im going into the branch tomorrow to speak to the manager and get this sorted out as it just proves the incompetence of HBOS, but should i go in armed with anything?

They obviously have all the proof on the systems and i can demand a SAR and further action - anyone had this kind of problem????

help!

No is the answer. I think you need to go into the branch and explain that clearly there was an error from the person in the branch and you would like them to refund the £35.00 and close the account as you are not going to use the account ever again.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Hi

well the branch in question is a little out of my way and since this is a matter in BOS - i should be able to go into any branch and get this sorted.

Obviously im not paying any charge - i have a hardcopy of all charges in last 10 years from them, but surely im a winner in this argument as it was obviously bank error!

Hi

well the branch in question is a little out of my way and since this is a matter in BOS - i should be able to go into any branch and get this sorted.

Obviously im not paying any charge - i have a hardcopy of all charges in last 10 years from them, but surely im a winner in this argument as it was obviously bank error!

If it is not the branch that you closed the account then they cannot resolve it immediately without investigating it so the other option is a letter in writing to the branch manager directly of that specific branch.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Ah - oklies!

Better to go into the branch then and speak to branch manager!

Ok - just hit them with parking ticket for the cock-ups!

Just simply say that this happened and you would like them to refund the charge and shut the account since the employee told you that there was nothing due out and got you to withdraw funds which subsequently drew the charge. If it was a payment out of the account then ONLY pay what you have spent rather than charges on top or interest. Does that make sense?

3 - man showed me forms to sign to close account - i read and signed my name - he showed me another form - £8.99 in cash to be returned to me.

4 - cash of £8.99 given - slip signed - account closed.

Presumably the branch will still have these, which will support your case, (unless, of course, they have mysteriously been 'mislaid')