when is statute barred?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

last monetary transaction in or out, or last time your wrote to them.

i e any method of you ack'ing you have a debt with them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no.

as they could then send a default notice and reset the clock if that be the case.

its your last payment or ack of the debt.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi D thanks for that. I have 2 defaults from 2006. I never admitted the debt was mine and never had communication with the DCA'S. However I spoke to a crappy debt company who said the six years starts from the date of the default! Which will make it 2012?! I opened the account in 2001!!!

Hi D thanks for that. I have 2 defaults from 2006. I never admitted the debt was mine and never had communication with the DCA'S. However I spoke to a crappy debt company who said the six years starts from the date of the default! Which will make it 2012?! I opened the account in 2001!!!

But when was the last payment/ack of the debt?

If My debt is not enforceable. How do I get the DCA off my back. Just to let you know they defaulted me in 2006! I have a debt for £1100 and still have not paid it they have said to pay it by the end of this month or they will take 'further action'!

Any help please??

ok lets tackle this another way.

for the debt to be statute barred you must not have made a payment since july 2003.

have you made a payment since july 2003?

if yes then its not SB

simples!

dx

and they

Just to cloud matters a little here, I was speaking to a friendly financial advisor and mentioned a debt that was statute barred by virtue of no payment or acknowledgment for 6 years.

He stated that the 6 years doesnt count if the company tried to contact you in that time and the time starts from the last contact from them....worrying if true.

Of course I will pay you everything you say I owe with no proof.

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

total rubbish

the rules have NEVER changed either

dx

and they

Just to cloud matters a little here, I was speaking to a friendly financial advisor and mentioned a debt that was statute barred by virtue of no payment or acknowledgment for 6 years.

He stated that the 6 years doesnt count if the company tried to contact you in that time and the time starts from the last contact from them....worrying if true.

worrying that he's a financial advisor!!

My understanding is that the date starts from when they could legally take action against you for an unpaid debt. This is generally accepted as being one month after the last payment or written acknowledgement

You can argue that the creditor is out of time or 'statute barred' from taking you to court for this debt if:

• the creditor has not already obtained a judgment against you;

and

• you or anyone else owing the money (if your debt is in joint names) have not made a payment on the debt during the last six years;

and

• you have not written to the creditor admitting you owe the debt during the last six years.

Letter sent when debt is Statute Barred (SB)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

so what is the answer to post 12 then?

dx

and they

Also, if the debt is Stat Barred, any defaults should drop off your credit file after 6 years from the last payment, irrespective of when it was defaulted. If they are definitely chasing you for a Stat Barred debt after you have stated that you won't be paying anything, report them to the OFT and Trading Standards, they are breaking the law.

Hi guys thanks for responses. I just checked through some papers that I have from ages ago and it says I paid in 2006 of £20 and then following month of £50 to bring account back to the agreed overdraft limit. IT WAS A STUDENT OVERDRAFT. Basically I have never paid off the £1100 but have paid money into the student account in 2006 a couple of times. Now does this mean it's not state barred because I paid money into the account?? HOWEVER I paid money into the account but not towards the actual debt owed. It was just to bring my overdraft back under the agreed £1000. Any advise please?