Is this legal? Ticket for parking in a private residents' car park (and I'm one of the private residents!)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in a block of apartments in a town centre, which has its own gated 'residents only' car park. The residents are issued with parking permits (nothing more than a piece of paper with your car registration written on in biro and a year of issue). A couple of years ago I wasn't sent a permit so contacted the company I rent my apartment from and they apologised and said they'd failed to send a few out. They said until I received my new one just to alter the year on the permit with a pen! I did this, and no more than a few days later discovered a parking ticket on my car (in the residents' car park). I refused to pay the ticket on the grounds that this was just plain ridiculous, and have not paid it to this day :mad: That said, I do not like the idea of having this unpaid parking ticket (my one and only ever traffic offence) putting a 'black mark' against my name :(

Therefore, can anyone offer any advice how best to resolve this? Paying the ticket is the obvious answer but I am still reluctant to do so :-| True, I was not displaying a 'valid permit' but this was the fault of the rental company, and they admitted as much but suddenly washed their hands of the situation when I was issued with a ticket :mad:

Is the local authority even within its rights to issue a parking fine to a vehicle that is parked on private property ... property that I am allowed (and actually pay) to park on!? I cannot understand how they even have the power to issue fines when the car park is private and not council owned?!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

As always more information required.

Perhaps a little more diplomacy - especially when you can see the OP is a new member to CAG. A little more of a welcoming approach might be nice.

They have no way of knowing what is "not enough information".

I would hazard a guess that this is a private parking company and therefore nothing to worry about. If this was a council issued ticket believe me you would have heard something in the last 2 years.

Private parking enforcement companies have no legal standing so please don't worry about anything.

Can you confirm who issued the ticket? i.e. the company name.

Oh and Welcome to CAG

ignore totally

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

1st time i read it sounded like a private firm but now it a council ticket on a private car park?

does it say

penalty charge notice?

or private/parking change notice?

i'd scan and post it up [remove pers inf]

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They have no way of knowing what is "not enough information".

Reading the stickies and other,similar threads is always a good starting point. As it stands the O.P is confusing in that it may or may not be a PPC ticket.

Posting the actual document as I suggested would save a lot of time.

Reading the stickies and other,similar threads is always a good starting point. As it stands the O.P is confusing in that it may or may not be a PPC ticket.

Posting the actual document as I suggested would save a lot of time.

Agreed however i still think you could have been a little more patient with a new member.

It may be that the OP has received a ticket from a council acting in the capacity of a landlord, wherein they have no statutory authority to issue fines or penalties.

Agreed however i still think you could have been a little more patient with a new member.
You should refrain from projecting your own inferences and perceptions onto how the OP might read the post, or the tone in which the poster intended the post. Be mindful that most nuance and inflection is lost in th web forum format. If you want to make an issue of it, take it to PM, or take it to the Bear Garden.