Direct debit guarantee? Any help please

kilic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Really hoping someone can clarify this for me as getting to the end of my tether with Barclays. On the 13th July a direct debit was taken from my husbands account for £94 for car insurance. Our payment is supposed to be £31 per month and is supposed to be taken on the 19th. I now know why they took too much money but they didn't give us any advance notification of the change nor any reason why it was taken early so we approached Barclays to claim it back under the dd guarantee on the understanding we would get 'a full and immediate refund' as stated in the guarantee. However, it is now the 4th August and no money has been refunded despite 5 visits to Barclays. They insist that they need to claim the money back from our insurer before returning it to us and that there is no timescale for how long that could take. They will only say that it will be refunded 'as soon as possible'. We are on a seriously limited income with 2 children to feed so i can't afford the messing about but am fed up of keep going into Barclays and being told the same thing.

So am i wrong in thinking it should be refunded immediately or are they wrong in keeping us waiting? Please help.

Yeah i've checked with them and it's because my previous insurer will only state 'more than 4 years no claims' but not the exact amount. In our case it's 21 years so the original premium was based on that when we got the quote but now the insurers say it can only be based on 4. However they didn't give me any notification that it had been increased and that the dd had been changed. I only found out when i checked the account online. I cancelled the dd straight away anyway and have now changed insurers.

Really hoping someone can clarify this for me as getting to the end of my tether with Barclays. On the 13th July a direct debit was taken from my husbands account for £94 for car insurance. Our payment is supposed to be £31 per month and is supposed to be taken on the 19th. I now know why they took too much money but they didn't give us any advance notification of the change nor any reason why it was taken early so we approached Barclays to claim it back under the dd guarantee on the understanding we would get 'a full and immediate refund' as stated in the guarantee. However, it is now the 4th August and no money has been refunded despite 5 visits to Barclays. They insist that they need to claim the money back from our insurer before returning it to us and that there is no timescale for how long that could take. They will only say that it will be refunded 'as soon as possible'. We are on a seriously limited income with 2 children to feed so i can't afford the messing about but am fed up of keep going into Barclays and being told the same thing.

So am i wrong in thinking it should be refunded immediately or are they wrong in keeping us waiting? Please help.

The Direct Debit Guarantee says immediate refund and it means that the bank themselves have to ask the company for the money back themselves. It is BARCLAYS that must wait and not you. I would suggest you put something in writing to the bank asking for them to refund the money and to compensate you for the 5 visits you have made to sort this out plus inconvenience.

The Direct Debit Guarantee:

If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change, the organisation collecting the payment will notify you normally 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed

If an error is made by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid

You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by contacting your bank or building society. We also recommend you notify the organisation concerned.

The above is from the British Bankers Association of which Barclays is a member. Can you see anywhere that say you have to wait?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Thanks very much for that, i'm going to go to the bank again today with a print out of the guarantee and argue with them but i'll also take a letter asking for the refund plus compensation for the inconvenience and if i get nowhere i'll hand the letter over for the attention of a manager. Fingers crossed.

Hi Kilic,

Sounds like a good idea as they may not want, or be able, to resolve this in your branch.

Also, if this results in any charges being made to your a/c, you must reclaim these too. Ask your branch to confirm if charges have arisen, and look out for them on your next statement.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)