You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

sharkfin

Reclaiming charges: New to this and looking for advice please

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3948 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi everyone,

I'm ready to send letters to my building society and three credit card companies requesting a whole pile of charges back, and I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could clear up a couple of points for me..

1. Should I be requesting 5 years worth of charges back? Or six years? Or more? Not sure if the 5/6 year thing is dependent on where I live or where the company is based. (I'm in Scotland, the companies are all based in England.) I also noticed a post about being able to reclaim 20 years (!) worth of charges in Scotland; is this really feasible? Most of the charges from one of the companies I intend to claim against (Capital One) date back to 2001-2004. I requested six years worth of information from them; they sent me details of my entire ten year history with them! Is there any point in attempting to pursue these charges or would it just be a waste of my time?

2. Should the wording of the letters be the same for building societies and credit cards as it is for banks? Just noticed mention of 'bank charges' etc. and wondered if that should be amended in any way in letters to credit card companies and building societies...

3. Adding interest: I've used the simple spreadsheet to calculate interest and was just wondering what would be a 'reasonable' percentage to use in each case. I was intending to go for 28% with the three credit card companies, as that is the amount they themselves charge for cash advances. Is that too cheeky? I was thinking it's better to start high and then perhaps be willing to negotiate downwards at some future point... As for the building society, what would be a sensible percentage to use? Is 8% just the standard amount?

Apologies in advance if any of these questions are dumb, if I'm posting this in the wrong place, or if the answers can be found elsewhere on the forum. I did look around a bit but the site is huge! And I'm easily confused! :-)

Edited by sharkfin

Anyone? Please...

Gee, thanks everyone...

Hang on, sharkfin.

Just reading your post.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi,

1. You can try to reclaim as far back as poss, I'm also in Scotland and with all my claims, I went back 6 years and got the lot.

2. Just change the wording to 'charges'.

3. I'm not too sure about the interest, with all my claims I was paid the 8%.

Regards.

Scott.

Thanks for that Scott, and sorry I didn't see your reply sooner, to be honest I'd kinda given up on the forum... Now feeling invigorated and ready to dash off a few letters! Cheers :-)

Hi,

No problem, I'll keep an eye on your progress ;)

Regards.

Scott.