Heading back to the UK - need advice

usablurb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I left the UK in Jan. 2004 and left behind credit card payments. I can't even remember who they were too now ... but anyway. A CCJ was taken out against me in 2002, I was paying the 100 pounds per month (which was the original figure), and under the CCJ was ordered to pay the exact amount of 100 pounds. I struggled to pay it but once I left the country I stopped.

From memory, the amount oustanding was 5,000, maybe slightly more.

Today, I checked the Trust Registry and see that that original figure has increased to just over 7,000 pounds. The date on the Registry is 25 May 2007 but the original CCJ was dated 2002. Does anyone have any idea or thoughts as to why the date is so far ahead?

The other CCJ in the amount of 2,700 was taken out, according the the Registry, on 8 March 04. Well, I left in Jan 04 so that I suppose makes sense.

I was under the impression that once a CCJ had been ordered, that no interest or other charges could be added and the original date i.e 2002, could not be altered?? Maybe Im just imagining that ....

I haven't checked my credit reports - for the time being I'd rather leave sleeping dogs lie ... I realise that once you have a CCJ it's always enforceable but .. its this date of May 07 that keeps "bugging me"...

I am going back to the UK next year .. older, wiser ... but I need to know what I'm going to be faced with when we get there. Can anyone advise what the likeliood of all this mess is going to be??

Once you default on the CCJ the loan reverts to the original conditions, which tend to be the equivalent to un-arranged borrowing so double digit interest of some sort. Stay away for 6 years so the debts are statute barred or move to Aus / NZ if you can their economies are less likely to collapse.

Once you default on the CCJ the loan reverts to the original conditions, which tend to be the equivalent to un-arranged borrowing so double digit interest of some sort. Stay away for 6 years so the debts are statute barred or move to Aus / NZ if you can their economies are less likely to collapse.

CCJ's never go statute barred, they do however drop of your credit file after 6 years.

If you have a CCJ against you and you move back to this country, once you "pop up" they can enforce the CCJ using various means. They will need to provide details of why it took them so long to enforce the CCJ but if they know you've been out of the country I suspect a judge will accept the fact you moved abroad so they couldnt enforce until you returned.

S.

CCJ's never go statute barred, they do however drop of your credit file after 6 years.

If you have a CCJ against you and you move back to this country, once you "pop up" they can enforce the CCJ using various means. They will need to provide details of why it took them so long to enforce the CCJ but if they know you've been out of the country I suspect a judge will accept the fact you moved abroad so they couldnt enforce until you returned.

S.

I never informed them I was moving abroad so not sure how they would know. I do know I have to pay this back before I move back to the UK - I just couldn't face going back home with all this to deal with.

On another note - even though it's a CCJ, if they knew I was out of the country, and NOT ever returning, could I make a settlement offer? and if so, how likely would it be that they would accept? (even though there's a CCJ?). If this were to happen - would it then be taken off the Register/credit report??

Sorry about the confusion over CCJ's. It was late and I thought debt when you wrote CCJ's. Still a good example of the way the site works, nothing better tahn catching someone out;¬) Allways read through the sticky threads yourself and wait for several postings.