Can a bank do this?

Jaleruke

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4499 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

We have had 2 shock pieces of news and I need advice on what to say to the bank, and whether they can take this action

1. My husband's old bank (from when he was working in the Channel Islands),said they paid him money they shouldn't have in 2007 and therefore had to take this money back. As he still had the old bank acct but no money in it, they took it and made him over 2k overdrawn, for which charges will be mounting till we pay money in. Can they do this? We have no statements going back to 2007 and don't even know what they are talking about? Does anyone have a letter to send them?

2. My husband was 1 mth late with a credit card payment (the minimum) aas he was overdrawn and the bank bounced his payment. He was also slightly over his credit card limit that month. He got back from a training course to find the bank hadn't paid his credit card as he was od'd and was going to pay the credit card (as his salary had just cleared), but when he rang the card people they said they had closed the acct. This was the only time in years that this had ever happened. I am not sure if they want the whole amount paid in 1 go. Can they just close an act like this? And does anyone have a letter to send them disputing this or the bank situation above?

We are really worried so would appreciate any pointers or advice.

I think you would need to send a SAR to the bank (although if it is the Channel Islands does the data protection act differ at all ?)....as for the credit card account, then they really should have given some sort of notice, have they sent a default notice or termination notice ?

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

Thanks for the reply. No,. the credit card company have not called or written any letters. We only found out when we called them to make a payment as we saw the DD had bounced, and it had never happened before, nor had my husband been over the limit.

Have you spoken to the cc company to see why they have closed the account

and send the bank in question a sar as 42man says, if a sar is no good in the channel islands then demand written proof of what they are refering to. has for paying charges on an account that they effectively made overdrawn I would tell them where to get off

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

The channel islands are covered by DPA act.

They do have a seperate complaints procedure and commisioner tho..

Data Protection - About Jersey

As advised SAR the bank.

S.

Are You as Anonymous on CAG as You Think You Are? *Link*

The CAG is a free help site,should you be offered help that requires payment,please report it to site team.

Deal with your debts:

STEP ONE - Dont Panic! | STEP TWO - Priority & Non Priority Debts | STEP THREE - Personal Budget Sheet | STEP FOUR - A SAFE bank Account | STEP FIVE - Dealing with Priority Debts | STEP SIX - Non-priority Debts | STEP SEVEN - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt1 | STEP EIGHT - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt2 | STEP NINE - Perils of Consolidation | STEP TEN - RE-Evaluate Frequently

***** SERIOUSLY IN DEBT, DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, TRY NationalDebtLine's MoneySteps *****

IMPORTANT: Please take my advice in the spirit it is given and on the basis that I am expressing my opinion, These opinions are not endorsed by CAG in anyway and are offered informally without prejudice or warranty of any kind. These opinions are solely based upon the knowledge I've gained from this fantastic site and life in general. I have NO legal training.

Thank you, all of you for the good advice. The credit card said they were closing the acct just because my husband missed a payment! I couldn't believe they gave no warning.

As for the Channel Islands bank, they say my husband made 'a request for payment' (he used to have to make a fax request for them to transfer to his UK based acct), and the money was paid out to him although funds were not there. This baffles me. Surely this is their responsibility/liability as they made this payment? I am trying to draft a letter saying this- and also asking for some written proof that this actually happened. It sounds really odd.