Problem of getting back deposit! Pls help!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4502 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have moved out the house more than a month ago but still haven't received my deposit back. The estate agent said my deposit is held by DPS (which was said in the contract but I don't have any details about that) and it could take up to 90 days to receive the money back. I keep calling him and he keeps saying that he will contact DPS to check if they have released the deposit (but he never did). I am very anxious about my money now as it's been a month already. Is there anything I can do to get my deposit back quickly?

Thanks in advance for your help

You should have been notified at the BEGINNING of your tenancy where and how your deposit was protected. LL and LA have breached the regulations by not doing this.

Telephone the following 3 numbers to see where your deposit was protected:

DPS 0870 707 1 707

TDSL 0871 703 0552

TDS 0845 226 7837

You will need info for them, agent's name, address of property, your name etc.

If you find it, ask them how you claim it back.

If you don't find it, do the following:

WRITE to LA (and copy to LL if you know his address, if not, send it via the agent). Say that unless you receive your full deposit within the next 7 days you will sue them for the deposit + 3x deposit penalty for non-compliance with the deposit protection legislation.

Do 2 copies of each letter, post the first copies from a post office and obtain a "proof of posting" (free) and then post 2nd copies from a different post office (either same day, or next day), again getting a proof of posting. Keep the proof of postings. They will not be able to claim later that they did not get your letter.

Let us know how you get on.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Thanks Kentish for your help. I have contacted all 3 companies and non of them is holding my deposit. I have tried to contact the agent again and of course, cannot get hold of him again so probably writing letter to him now. Will let you know how it is going on.

Just an update of my case if anyone interested. I was able to get hold of the agent and told him he has been illegally holding my deposit as it is not protected by any of the 3 companies. He said he has his own system blah blah blah so I told him then he has not complied with legislation by not giving me the details of where and how my deposit is protected and it has been more than 10 days from the date we agreed how much deposit I will receive back. I have given him a warning if he does not pay in back my deposit within 3 days, I will contact my solicitor.

All thanks to Kentish I know my agent is such a [problem]