You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• threads merged  please keep to one thread per issue.   dx  
    • read it proprly.. it doesn't say WILL anything and original creditors don't do court as they don't want the judge delving into their business model nor the bad publicity.   as for the FOS you just have to let it run. yours is a very short time since yo put it into them typically it always takes 6-9mts normally before they move on anything though they usually send you an ACK they have the complaint.        
    • Since the last post on this thread I have sent a complaint to the FOS but have not heard anything from them as yet either, I'm guessing they're rather snowed under and on reduced staff so no real surprise.   Still had nothing approaching help from lending stream but today they emailed me default notices for the loans, again demanding I phone them and pay up in full or they will begin court proceedings.   Any advice as to how I should proceed please?
    • Hi,   I received two PCNs in October 2019 from Havering Council. All the below applies to both PCNs, as the correspondences were at the same time:   Fast forward to February 2020, I file witness statements on grounds that I made representations within 28 days but did not receive a rejection notice.   The TEC cancelled charges.   Havering write to me asking for supporting evidence of representations that I made.   I email them screenshots with timestamps of the representations.   In early March Havering reply to me by email 'confirming receipt of email and both cases are now on hold pending an investigation. Please allow time for a full response to be sent.'   Fast forward to 18th June Havering write to me the attached:  Havering Charge Certificate.pdf   Now, it seems as though the sender of this letter is not up to date with both cases and is unaware of the TEC's decisions, as well as the email correspondence.   My questions are, 1) What should I do next? and 2) Is there a way to use their misstep to avoid paying for the PCN entirely?   Thank you.
    • New app launched by Veteran owned UK     READ MORE HERE: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-app-launched-by-veteran-owned-uk
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 6 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
Marushi

HBOS broke its own T&C?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3984 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi everyone, new member here just came across the site, some great stuff here :)

So, my problem. Bank charges. I've had a load over the last few years and also received numerous over the last few weeks, the usual £35 and just now, a £28 unarranged overdraft fee + interest. I called up to see if i could get any waived as i've had one or two done in the past (I guess you just need to find the one person in the entire bank that's even a little bit considerate, eh? ).

Anyways, they kept turning me down, throwing the "you agreed to it in the terms and conditions when you opened the account", so i asked for a copy of said T&C sent to me. They've arrived the other day and I've been reading through.

Now, from 4 years ago and up until about May, I had a student current account with the bank, and graduated in June. Since then, I moved onto the 'Ultimate Reward' account.

The terms and conditions (marked april 2009) state that bank fees for Ultimate reward, High Interest and Current Accounts are £35 and can be applied three times per day. However, as a student, the charges are £20 and can only be applied once per day.

The term Student is defined in their Bank Account Conditions, which they were nice enough to send along with the T&Cs and state also that the bank considers a consumer a student up to 1 year following graduation.

What I'm looking for is clarification here that what I've read means 1, that the banks gone and broke its own terms and conditions and 2, I can use this as ammo in a claim.

A lot of reading, but thats for stoppin by :)

Edited by Marushi

I would question the bank as to the dates it had marked on your account for being a student, for example, if you changed courses after one year but didn't tell the bank, then you haven't really got a case apart from them changing your account back to a student account for a further 10 months.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Registered with them as a student before leaving, never changed courses or dropped out or anything. Been a student for my four years, and the bank told me that they give people a year after graduation to clear their overdraft. Will stop by this afternoon and check if i still am.

Assuming I'm still a student in their eyes, does this appear as a breach on their part?

Registered with them as a student before leaving, never changed courses or dropped out or anything. Been a student for my four years, and the bank told me that they give people a year after graduation to clear their overdraft. Will stop by this afternoon and check if i still am.

Assuming I'm still a student in their eyes, does this appear as a breach on their part?

Never assume anything when it comes to a human being entering information on a computer to open an account. Ask the question and then you can go from there because if they tell you that they have it wrong then you have bank error and automatic REFUND :)

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Awesome. Went in before work this morning, apparantly its not the kind of information they're asked for often and will have to send my request off to some processing centre. Takes 5 days apparantly, lol.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the info yourbank

Awesome. Went in before work this morning, apparantly its not the kind of information they're asked for often and will have to send my request off to some processing centre. Takes 5 days apparantly, lol.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the info yourbank

That sounds quite frankly crap from them. When I used to work in NatWest I could find the information in roughly 30 seconds, lol. Oh, well, clearly they work differently for now(albeit their head of IT is a former RBS Group IT man so hopefully it will improve ;)

Take a look at the statement for May and check what the name of the account is.- simple eh?

If it wasn't a student account or an Ultimate Reward a/c, then what was it?

Take a look at the statement for May and check what the name of the account is.- simple eh?

If it wasn't a student account or an Ultimate Reward a/c, then what was it?

Aye it was a student account, then in May i switched. Fact is that according to the Account conditions leaflet, you're still considered a student up to 12 months after graduation. If they considered my changing accounts as me having finished uni, I'm still to this day a student according to their own Terms.

I wanted to make sure that my logic makes sense/is sound before I take it to the bank.

I think you've caused your own problem here if i understood this correctly. I reckon you could have kept the studnet account for another 12 months after graduation but as you switched to the ultimate reward account, you're now bound by the t&c's for that. If you hadn't switched a/c types you would still be on student terms.

No doubt the ultimate reward offers benefits that a student account doesn't but the extra benefits will doubtless bring etra costs and/or responsibilities.

Perhaps the bank will consider allowing you to switch back?

Ok, i've found some of the info online. Heres a link to the account fees page: Bank of Scotland - Interest rates

And the account conditions are here: http://www.bankofscotlandhalifax.co.uk/HelpCentre/pdf/1_450073-5.pdf on page 19, section 31.

According to the table about the fees, I can still be a 'student' with the Ultimate Reward account, and the account conditions can confirm this.

Reading through these two documents I can see why you would think that but moving to an Ultimate Reward account overrides your student status. It says (in the interest rates sheet) that note 2 applies where note 2 advises that studnent status is defined in the Bank of Scotland account conditions. What they are saying, in a very unclear and clumsy way, is that the bank regards you as a student only if you have a student account. I know this because RBS have the same rules but their explanation is clearer.

I'd be interested to know if anyone mentioned that you would be losing the student benefits when you switched to the Ultimate Reward account? If they didn't you may have a case against them for that.

The only benefits I was made aware of when upgrading to the student account, was that I'd get a free overdraft of up to £3000, although I never had it set higher than maybe 1500. So, after your post, rickyd, I've sat and read that leaflet cover to cover, twice :p (I really want to be right on this).

Section 31 states that if you have a BoS Current Account, you can be referred to as a student. Section 1.1 states that a BoS current Account is an Ultimate Reward, High Interest, Moneyback or standard Current account (incl. Student). It also says that they may still apply if the name or number of the account changes.

The account was upgraded to a student account some time in 2005 if memory serves, and to do so, a confirmation of acceptance letter from the university I attended was required. I incurred some charges throughout every year of my uni attendance. Some I managed to have waived, some I didn't, and every charge as far as i can remember was £35, as opposed to the proper amount of £20.

When I was talking to the fella in the bank about upgrading, I was never told that my student status would be revoked. Upon reading through this leaflet I'd say that I still am, and would find it hard for the bank to disagree. Also, the information on the seperate current accounts do not state that using those accounts would revoke any student status and do not state that it's not possible to be considered a student with any of them.

What do you think the best way to take this complaint to the bank is? The method in the FAQs; Subject Access, First Letter, LBA etc?

Once again thanks for the help on this, its really appreciated :)

Edited by Marushi

I'd start by being nice and go ad ask them why you're paying grown ups charges whilst you're still a student. If they tell you its because you no longer have a student account show them the t&c's and register a formal complaint.

I generally find that a pleasant face to face approach pays dividends rather than going in with all guns blazing. Most people will tyr to help but get really defensive if you start off on th wrong foot.

Went in this afternoon, bank confirmed exactly what you said ricky, can't have student status on the reward account. Gonna wait for pay day and get my DPA request in. Thanks for your help mate.

no worries - feedback is always nice.