chased for a student overdraft from 1997 ish with Barclays

tosh1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a letter to my mum's address demanding payment for a student overdraft that was taken out in 1997 ish with Barclays.

The amount is around £350.00 and has now been passed to Booker Management Services.

To be quite honest I can't remember that far back and

I seem to remember there being a mistake on Barclays side with the overdaft but I thought that was all sorted out.

i have uploaded the letter i recieved below -

barclays.jpg picture by tosh1_bucket - Photobucket

I'm sure there was no cca agreement.

Can they persue something that old.

I don't want to tell them my new addresss and also I don't want them to hassle my mum who is a widow and will proberbly panic.

Any advice appreaciated.

Hi Tosh

This Is Usual Dca Tosh

How Dare They Try And Collect On A Debt Thats 12 Years Old

Send The Statute Barred Template

Any Letters To Your Mum Would Be In Your Name So No Reason For Her To Open It

The Next Letter From These Cretins Will Be That They Have Closed The Account Down

send it and put your mums address.

as postggi says they should tell you they are closing their file(meaning sh*t another one who knows we are greedy bar stools trying to con on a debt 12 years old:mad:

anything else from them and report to OFT and TS

or call consumer direct 08454 04 05 06.

SAM

• 3 weeks later...
an update regarding this. they have closed the account.

Thanks to everyone

Good, but you must still take the time and report their sorry a55e5, one to the OFT;

The Office of Fair Trading: Contact us

Consumer Direct Who will pass it directly to Trading Standards.

Complaints - Privacy & electronic communication - ICO

How to Complain

The more people complain about the unlawful tactics used by these lowlife companies the better for everyone in the long run!;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

an update regarding this. they have closed the account.

Thanks to everyone

This letter is probably also relevant so they don't think they can just rattle peoples cages with near impunity!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/585-letter-following-up-after-a-debt-collection-agency-has-closed-its-files-

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 3 years later...

Hi

After another 4 years they are still after this. I cannot remember the account. As always any help appreciated. Basically it states -

Got a letter today from gpb solicitors who have taken by way of assignment the debt due above.

Basically the letter says that notice of assignment has been given and that the debt remains outstanding. It says that I need to contact them within 14 days.

Tell them you informed the last cretins Booker Management 4 years ago that the debt was statute barred. Inform them that any further demands for payment would be subject to section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. Demand they send you a copy of their complaints procedure. Send the statute barred template again with the above by recorded delivery to the solicitors

We are not talking of Geoffrey Parker Bourne solicitors are we ?

Edited by squaddie

It is the Geoffrey Parker Bourne. GPB have the same address in Stratford.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Same game - different name.

Can't hurt to do as squaddie says tosh then forget about them.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I cannot believe this OLD post flagged up in my inbox!! They are seriously kidding aren't they?

Well well well, I would go to town on these fake sols, and the previous clowns who clearly knew the state of the account before flogging it on.

So, complaints too, the OFT & TS, your local MP, and finally the SRA, and what the hell send your story to BBC Watchdog.

• 1 year later...

Does the letter mention court ation?

Have you already told them that you will not be making any payments because the debt it statute barred?

When a debt is statute barred it doesn't cease to exist. They can still chase you for payment, it just means the debt can't be enforced.

If the debt is statute barred and because the debt originated from so long ago you would think they were wasting their time. But that makes me think the debt might not actually be statuted barred yet? I don't think you've actually given us enough information to say ascertain whether that it is (like have you acknowledged the debt at all?) - previous posters have just made assumptions.

Hi

Thanks for replying

The letter does not mention court action.

I don't believe that I have acknowledged any debt to them. I have not called them or anyone. I did receive a letter from Booker Management services back in 2009 and I did send them a letter and they did reply back saying that would close this account.

Then in 2013 it was passed to gpb solicitors and I sent them a letter too.

This time I have replied via email to Global Debt Recovery, also forwarded the email to the oft and my MP.

Regards

Debt collectors are NOT bailiffs, they are powerless nobody's, who work on commission.

Next doors cat has more powers to be on your Mums property than these clowns.

So this has been doing the rounds, from one bottom feeder to the next.

What letter have you been sending them?

Have you been making formal complaints each time they try and con you out of money?

This is the letter that I have been sending -

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5:

“An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

I would point out that in their Consumer Credit sourcebook, the Financial Conduct Authority states the following rules:

"...a firm must not attempt to recover a statute barred debt in England, Wales or Northern Ireland if the lender or owner has not been in contact with the customer during the limitation period." 7.15.4

"A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred." 7.15.8

The last payment or acknowledgement of this debt was made in 1997 and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed. I would also like to point out that I have informed the Office of fair trading & trading standards.