Advice on Enhanced CRB - Working with Children

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5351 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Have read some of the other CRB threads with great interest and would appreciate advice on my situation. I am looking to work with children/ youth and received my enhanced CRB check recently. On the CRB, it states that I had been cautioned with Assault on Police, and being Drunk and Disorderly about 4 years ago. What had happened was that the transport police had chided me on something or other and had taken issue with my response. When I walked away from them, they then took hold of me. One of them grabbed at my knee, which I jerked away protectively as I had just been through major knee surgery less than 2 months ago. All of a sudden about 3 or 4 of them showed up and took me away to the station and locked me up for the night.

My partner was with me the whole time and at the station he asked the police what they would be charging me with. They said that there would be no charge and that they just wanted to ensure I was safe for the night. He continually asked them if there would be any record of the incident and they kept assuring him that there would not be any record.

4 years later, I've now got a CRB report with 2 cautions which I do not recall accepting. Thinking back though, I did sign some papers prior to leaving the station but did so just to get out of the place as I just wanted to get home. In addition, the police had continually said that the incident was not on record and signing the papers was just a formality. At no point did they tell me that this could one day hurt my career chances or explain what the caution really meant. If I had known, I would not have accepted the caution as I still believe I was unfairly picked on by the police.

I am looking to lodge an appeal against these cautions; can you advise if I have a chance here? What is the likelihood of the caution being expunged from my record or will the police now have a vendetta against me? Also, as only relevant cautions are included on a CRB, would you consider this sort of information relevant to working with children?

Thanks all.

Dont worry about your cautions...your cautions are irrelevant to the jobs that you want to do.

Cautions of the nature you describe are disregarded otherwise 1/3 of the working population in the UK would be unemployable.

Cautions also only stay on record for no more than five years after which they become spent.

Good luck.

Dont worry about your cautions...your cautions are irrelevant to the jobs that you want to do.

Cautions of the nature you describe are disregarded otherwise 1/3 of the working population in the UK would be unemployable.

The registered officer responsible for the CRB check will have guidelines (obviously confidential and unpublished) as to what offences can be disregarded for employment giving weight to the type and age of offence. The assault caution is likely to be considered most relevant. However, unless you 'fessed up to them in your application, you are liable to be fired for lying in your application.

A CRB disclosure does not have to be 'clean' in order to be employed.

Cautions also only stay on record for no more than five years after which they become spent.

Good luck.

No caution or conviction is ever spent as far as enhanced CRB disclosure is concerned.

Also, any job with children will be exempt from the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act as regarding convictions being spent

Edited by patdavies

Also, as only relevant cautions are included on a CRB, would you consider this sort of information relevant to working with children?

This statement is incorrect. All cautions and convictions are included on a CRB disclosure. An enhanced disclosure may also contain police suspicions and.or arrests

@ patdavies - Thanks very much for your response.

The assault caution came as a shock to me as at no time during the night or even in the morning was it mentioned by the police. I am very upset that this is on the CRB as to me, assault is quite a serious matter. I would have thought that if I had really assaulted a police, I would have been arrested and charged, rather than just cautioned? I have been reading up what I can do next but there doesn't seem to be (or I haven't found) an official way forward. Do I take this up with the CRB, or with the Police or with an independent body like the IPCC? If anyone has been through a similar sort of situation, I would appreciate it if you could let me know it panned out.

If you wish to appeal a caution, you nave to get it reviewed by an an officer of Chief inspector rank or above. That si your first line of action.

There is no point in appealing to the CRB - they are only reflecting that which exists; they are a recording function only and cannot enter into appeals of this nature.