£1000+ Laptop failed after 2.5 years... SoGA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Long time since I last posted but I am once again in need of some wisdom!

I have an apple macbook computer purchased from a large department store in Bristol in January 2007. At the time the unit was £1014.00 and came with a 2 year warranty (1 year from the manufacturer, extended to two years by the retailer).

During the first year of use the screen/display on the laptop completely failed. It was repaired at a invoiced cost of over £400 under the Apple first year warranty.

Shortly thereafter the keyboard failed - again was replaced in warranty.

In February 2008 the battery failed completely and refused to charge. It was out of Apple's warranty at this point, and the seller had an exclusion on battery replacements in their extended guarantee so I bought a replacement at cost of somewhere around £70.

In July 2008 when I went self-employed it became clear I was relying on the laptop entirely for my income, so I bought a identical model again from the same retailer - and put this first laptop into a drawer to be kept as a backup so that my ability to work was less likely to be compromised.

Roll forwards to July this year - my main mac failed, and had to go away for repair. I took my spare out of the drawer and restored a backup and it was business as usual.

2 days into using the fallback machine it died completely. Refused to boot, and hung on a grey screen.

Desperate times called for an urgent repair so I went to the Apple store here in Bristol and begged one of their techies to take a look, they did and diagnosed a faulty hard disk. Fair enough - these rarely last much beyond 2/3 years I bought a replacement and was back working.

3 days later - the laptop failed again, and would not even power on.

Another trip to the apple store and they initially diagnosed again a faulty hard disc. When I explained it was replaced days earlier they kept it in and did some more testing. Turns out it's the logic / mother board...

In total the repair estimate for the new mother board and another replacement hard disc drive comes to over £400.

At the advise of Trading Standards following reading some of the SoGA online I have sent a letter to the retailer asking for them to put the situation right in terms of repairing / replacing / refunding the laptop. I do genuinely believe that I have just been unlucky and supplied with a dud laptop...

I had an email from the store's service desk manager saying she was investigating and would be in touch tomorrow (3rd August) with a suggested 'route forward'.

From people's experience of attempting to enforce the sales of goods act - any guesses what they'll offer? Apple themselves suggested the laptop was not economically viable for repair given it's age...

I'm concerned from reading other threads that the retailer might try to offer a partial refund that will be significantly below the replacement cost of a similar spec machine... how far can I / should I push for repair / replacement?

Sorry for the extra long post - but I hope it was partly useful info at least...

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi

I'm posting to BUMP your thread, I'd have thought that chasing the retailer for a remedy under the SoGA to be the best way forward.

Andy

Hi

I'm posting to BUMP your thread, I'd have thought that chasing the retailer for a remedy under the SoGA to be the best way forward.

Andy

Hi Andy,

It certainly was - update from today is that John Lewis have agreed to cover the full cost of the repair (around £500) or to provide that same amount towards a replacement if I'd prefer.

Can't fault that response really.

Thanks,

Steve

That's John Lewis for you. They're even nice to their staff too! They are a shining paragon of good service in a sea of mediocrity.

PS I'm using a MacBook Pro right now and I'm getting nervous!