• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Who to apply to.....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5180 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

2007, we got a secured loan through Freedom Finance which had PPI which I believe was mis-sold given that I am disabled & have been for many years.

The only documents I have are the ones below & we have so many questions!

a) Which company to apply to - GE Money as they are the ones we pay each month, Freedom Finance as they brokered the loan.

b) The PPI covers both of us under the single policy so how would we deal with that

c) Can we cancel OH's cover since it is no longer suitable for his needs

d) Would any claim be for both parties or just mine

Please help!!!

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5333/gemoneywelcomeletter.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2739/gemoneyppireunsecloan.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6237/ppipolicyschedule.jpg

2007, we got a secured loan through Freedom Finance which had PPI which I believe was mis-sold given that I am disabled & have been for many years.

The only documents I have are the ones below & we have so many questions!

a) Which company to apply to - GE Money as they are the ones we pay each month, Freedom Finance as they brokered the loan.

b) The PPI covers both of us under the single policy so how would we deal with that

c) Can we cancel OH's cover since it is no longer suitable for his needs

d) Would any claim be for both parties or just mine

Please help!!!

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5333/gemoneywelcomeletter.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2739/gemoneyppireunsecloan.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6237/ppipolicyschedule.jpg

Firstly your first link does not appear to be working.

Looking at the latter two links it appears that Genworth financial point you back towards Ge to make any changes to the PPI policy therefore I would suggest you pursue GE for the repayment of mis-sold PPI it is clear that Genworth are pointing you towards GE for any amendments to the PPI cover.

GE will no doubt wash their hands of this and call foul and point you to the broker and if that happens then the FOS or the Courts should make the decision.

Please try and reload the first link in your post so I can have a look.

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Hi aa

Link hopefully now working.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5333/gemoneywelcomeletter.jpg

Will the fact that the policy was for joint names make any difference when it comes to being repaid? I would expect them to ultimately agree to repay one half but welcome your thoughts on this whole claim with any pointers towards a successful outcome!

Edited by mkb

Hi aa

Link hopefully now working.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5333/gemoneywelcomeletter.jpg

Will the fact that the policy was for joint names make any difference when it comes to being repaid? I would expect them to ultimately agree to repay one half but welcome your thoughts on this whole claim with any pointers towards a successful outcome!

Thanks for re-posting the first link from your first post.

For me the first line of the letter says it all.

Welcome to GE Money home lending payment protection. (That's the first point) It then goes on to say that GE Money home lending payment protection is underwritten by etc etc. (that's the second point)

IMO you should go after GE on this one. They are stating that any queries on the policy should be directed to them and not the underwriters ( in a way they are accepting the responsibility of the PPI with this statement IMO) As it was a joint policy both persons named on the CCA should sign any letter making a claim for mis-selling. It may however turn out that only one party is named as the insured on the policy but if the CCA bears both signatures then I believe it would be wise for both signatories to sign any letter claiming mis-selling.

Again Freedon Finance my have brokered the loan but it appears that GE are suggesting any problems with the PPI policy contact them directly and not Freedom Finance. So you now claim the PPI policy was mis-sold you are just following their instructions and contacting them directly as per the link above.

Hope you see my point here. If you do and they do not then maybe the FOS will :D

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Thanks aa - a goldmine of info as usual :D

The PPI covers both of us under the single policy so how would we deal with that so should we cancel OH's cover since it is no longer suitable for his needs or would the claim be for the entire policy being mis-sold?

Sorry if I'm being thick but I'm not having a great day today bacause of pain :(

Thanks aa - a goldmine of info as usual :D

The PPI covers both of us under the single policy so how would we deal with that so should we cancel OH's cover since it is no longer suitable for his needs or would the claim be for the entire policy being mis-sold?

Sorry if I'm being thick but I'm not having a great day today bacause of pain :(

Good question :eek:

I am in a similar situation with Liverpool Victoria. Loan in joint names but I was the named party for PPI cover ie I had to be Ill to be able to submit a claim but of course they did not ensure that the policy was suitable. I have a 40% War disablement pension which would have precluded me from making a claim so I go for mis-selling of the PPI on the loan in both of our names.

Would your PPI policy have covered either one of you if you had become ill, made redundant or is there a person name as the main claimant.

If the policy covered both of you in exactly the same way for whatever illness, redundancy, etc etc then IMO I would suggest the policy should be classed as invalid for both if it was invalid for one of you through disability ie pre existing medical conditions.

At the point of sale if the PPI is covering both parties in exactly the same way ie jointly named for all of the benefits of the policy and thereby all of the exclusions of the policy then it was clearly mis-sold in sofar that:

Would the cost of the PPI have been lower if only one person had been covered and if the answer is yes and they did not ask relevant questions on pre existing medical conditions but just assumed both parties would be covered and that then boosted the cost then it was clearly mis-sold.

This is how I see it but of course I am not fully familiar with all of your details.

Hope this has helped :eek:

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Reading the Policy Schedule, the costs & benefits(!) are equal for both of us so I've just done the SAR to find out all payments to this policy then I'll go for mis-selling of the entire thing - that gives us the option of compromising if they're going to pay out any quicker if we agree to that

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

SAR back today by Special Delivery and only 45 days after requesting it!! Guess they didn't want me complaining that they hadn't complied within the time scale :lol:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9605/secloan.jpg

As you can see, the space for signing for PPI was stamped 'Sign Here' so as well as not covering cos of existing conditions, I think we have a case for not knowing there was a choice of not having it :smile:

I don't know what portion of the monthly repayment relates to the PPI so have no idea how to calculate the refund I need to demand :confused:

The lack of separate figures makes me think this is a multiple agreement but don't know what to do if this is the case.

Please can you help?

Edited by mkb

• 1 month later...

Just updating really....PPI letter received by GE on 16/09 & 2 week 'reminder' posted.

They have til 10/11 to give decision but not holding my breath for a positive one :-|

Rang FOS today about another PPI already with them & they're quoting 3 - 6 months for resolution :(

• 3 months later...

UPDATE

Letter from broker received & I think it's tantamount to a bribe!

As you can see, they deny that the policy was mis-sold, citing a conversation held with hubby during which he confirmed that I had no health concerns that prevented me from working. At the time, this was true & it is only subsequently that I have been unable to work due to those medical conditions.

They then go on & offer a £500 f/f settlement of any complaint against them!! I emailed to ask:

If this means that we would retain the cover it provides for the remainder of its term?

Is your offer of £500 in addition to the ongoing cover?

Assuming the above questions are answered in the positive, does this mean then that the policy can be claimed upon as the need arises?

The response we got was: With reference to your email I can confirm that if you accept our goodwill gesture of £500, we will not insist that you cancel your policy. Therefore you may still be able to make claims against the policy.

Any suggestions as to the next course of action, bearing in mind that

a) my husband is now unemployed so should be able to claim against the policy

b) the account is in arrears

c) this is for a secured loan so could have massive ramifications for us but

d) the lender also has our mortgage which is being paid through income support mortgage payment.

Apologies for the length of the post and thanks for reading this far :)

We feel that we are being offered a sweetener to go away but in accepting this, we're not sure if we would be giving up our legal rights. Whether my hubby would be successful in making a claim against this policy remains to be seen but if it failed, what next???

ffppi1.jpg

ffppi2.jpg

ffppi3.jpg