Buying debt and giving address for Credit Report

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5352 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a couple of points that are different from the ones raised in my earlier post:

Has anyone ever been able to BUY their debt from a CC company or DCA? If I am to pay, say, 50p in the £1 to "settle it" then for a CC company or DCA does it matter how it is "structured"? IF I BUY the debt then I can make the necessary reports to the CRAs (report debt cleared etc) and also I know, since I own the "debt" no one else can chase me on it. A simple one page Sale and Purchase Agreement would suffice. Any thoughts?

On another topic, when I got to get copies of my Credit Reports from the CRAs (Experian etc) they ask for proof of address. If I provide will that information somehow wind its way onto my credit file? Will creditors be able to find it - or is it just between me and the CRA?

The reason for my query is that when I moved I had most mail forwarded to a PO Box (which refueses, on my instruction, to accept any recorded or signed for documents) so creditors have an address for me - but no way to serve me and it is not my residential address. Clearly the utility and other bills come to my home address - and it is these Experian want as "proof" in order to ensure they are sending the credit report to the right person (and I do agree with their approach).

While I want to see my credit report, I do not want to do so if it risks (however inadvertently) getting my residetial address into the public domain. Does anyone know a way around this?

Credit Reference Agencies have agreements with financial institutions about recording information and there is an industry-wide agreement about how that information is recorded. I doubt they would record information about how you conducted an account given by yourself! The CRAs are linked to certain DCAs and if you make a credit search sometimes a DCA comes out of the woodwork and tries to pursue you for a debt. As for your address, it would be posted on your report with the CRAs - it is one of the first things listed on your report and anyone who searches your reports can see it.

Thanks for the response. In terms of buying the debt, I would NOT do it myself but via a third party (company) so that the "settlement" with the DCC ocmpany or DCA would be along the lines of me informing them at X company wants to buy the debt for 50p say, and if they agree, that is one way (the only way) they are likely to get their money. Then it would be the purchasing ocmpany making the credit report - not myself.

On the address point, it sounds as if I need to skip this. Is there any way off accessing a credit report WITHOUT having to provide proof of address?

The purchasing company would have to be approved by the CRAs as a bona fide lender who had an agreement with them to make entries on credit reports. I expect one of the conditions is that they have a consumer credit licence. Since your address is one of the key ways of identifying you, your address has eo be given to access your report - there is no way round that.

I can confirm the above. My daughter recently changed banks and of course a search of the CRAs was made at the time. Within a couple of weeks, no more, she was receiving 'phishing' letters from several DCAs trying to see if she was the person they were after (she wasn't) but just her name(s) were enough to set this off.

Some of the letter were quite threatening, just assuming that she 'must' be the person they are 'chasing'.