What happens if your last address does not exist...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5374 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

....and one of your creditors sends court papers there?

I allegedly owe tens of thousands and can't afford to pay any more than the £15 a month i am now paying.

I know this is a situation DCAs do not like yet i receive hardly any letters from them.

My fear is that one of my creditors will send court papers to my old address in an attempt to get a CCJ by default. Thing is according to the Post Office my last place of residence does not exist, although the building is still there it is boarded up and should have been pulled down years ago, but a resident at the other end of the street will not move out.

What happens to mail sent to addresses that do not exist? There is still one residential address in the same street although it does not share the same post code as my last address, could it go there? There is also a Pub and Social club listed along with a listed building that is undergoing restoration but still has some old uses listed.

I know they do not always take notice of the post code and sometimes send letters to similar addresses, because I now live in a newly built house and often get letters for an old flat that used to be down the road back in the 20th century even though it had a different post code and has been pulled down for years, incidentally most of these letters seem to be from DCAs.

Edited by count orlok

....and one of your creditors sends court papers there?

I allegedly owe tens of thousands and can't afford to pay any more than the £15 a month i am now paying.

I know this is a situation DCAs do not like yet i receive hardly any letters from them.

My fear is that one of my creditors will send court papers to my old address in an attempt to get a CCJ by default. Thing is according to the Post Office my last place of residence does not exist, although the building is still there it is boarded up and should have been pulled down years ago, but a resident at the other end of the street will not move out.

What happens to mail sent to addresses that do not exist? There is still one residential address in the same street although it does not share the same post code as my last address, could it go there? There is also a Pub and Social club listed along with a listed building that is undergoing restoration but still has some old uses listed.

I know they do not always take notice of the post code and sometimes send letters to similar addresses, because I now live in a newly built house and often get letters for an old flat that used to be down the road back in the 20th century even though it had a different post code and has been pulled down for years, incidentally most of these letters seem to be from DCAs.

In Scotland the papers will be returned to the Sheriff Court who will then post them on the walls of the Court. Following expiry of the defence date the Decree will be awarded in favor of the Pursuer. If it is for a debt then they will go for a CCJ followed by the usual.......

If you think you can defend it is worth giving your correct address, they have other ways of chasing you these days so ensure it is really what you want to do.

I have informed all my creditors of my new?present address, as well as telling the electoral register and CRA. That said I believe the DCAs are not above a little bit of "creativity" when sending out certain paperwork.

Edited by count orlok

In Scotland the papers will be returned to the Sheriff Court who will then post them on the walls of the Court. Following expiry of the defence date the Decree will be awarded in favor of the Pursuer. If it is for a debt then they will go for a CCJ followed by the usual.......

If you think you can defend it is worth giving your correct address, they have other ways of chasing you these days so ensure it is really what you want to do.

What pray are the "other ways " , just as a point of interest , thank you

I am not worried about the DCAs knowing where I am. I have done all i can to let them know where i live, my concern is if they "accidentally" use my old address to send import papers to, knowing that i am almost guaranteed not to have sight of them.

Edited by count orlok

I am not worried about the DCAs knowing where I am. I have done all i can to let them know where i live, my concern is if they "accidentally" use my old address to send import papers to, knowing that i am almost guaranteed not to have sight of them.

I see, then use Royal Mail's mail forwarding service.

I did that for 3 months when i moved over 2 years ago. My creditors all know where I live. If i could afford to keep paying the PO to redirect my mail the problem would not arise. My worry is they could try "to sneak one in under the radar" so to speak.

I wouldn't worry at all, you can check for CCJ here CCJs, court orders & fines - Search yourself and others - Trust Online

As has already been said by Cerbs, if they do obtain a CCJ without your knowledge, you will be able to have it set aside anyway.

Boo:wink:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I can see where you are coming from, and know who you mean:) as this has been done 'accidentally' on more than one occasion;)

I guess as has been said you could get a CCJ set aside, but youre point is, I believe you do not want it to go as far as this situation, am I correct?

precisely old chap :)