• Tweets

• Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
    • How does one obtain the permit? The permit team number is only open between the hours of 9am to 3pm Mon - Fri. It says on the website, To obtain an additional 2 hours, the driver must pay a tariff of £3.00 + booking fees in person at our Security Hut, is that how you get the permit also, from the security hut? What a rigmaroll that would be but maybe just another step to take to try and catch people out?
    • Anotheruser0000 bear in mind that not all Judges are equally versed in the PoFA regulations. Fortunately now most of them are but sometimes a Judge from a higher Court sits in who is well experienced  in Law but not PoFA. and so they sometimes go "offkey" because their knowledge can raise a different set of arguments and solutions. It does seem particularly unfair  when the decision is so  bad . it can also be that in some situations the motorist being a lay person is not sufficiently know ledgeable to be able to counter a Judge's decisions in a way that a barrister could.
    • The argument about the date of receipt is now dead because the PCN  does not comply with the wording  of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  First reason Section 9 [2] [e]  "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper—(i)to pay the unpaid parking charges;" Second Reason Section 9 [2][a] "specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;" All your PCN does is mark the time you entered and left the car park. It does not include all the myriad things you do in between-driving into the car park, looking for a parking space-perhaps a disabled space or  parent and Child place@ getting the children or disabled person out of the car then going shopping. Coming back; loading the car with shopping [, getting the children or disabled into the car, taking the trolley back to the store; driving to the exit perhaps stopping to let vehicles/pedestrians cross in front of you etc. so subtracting the driving times from before and after parking can make quite a difference from their time to the actual period parking time. So the upshot is now that only the driver is responsible for paying the PCN and the keeper is not liable at all even if the name of the driver is never known by Nexus so well done for not appealing. You obviously want to keep it that way to make it very difficult for them to win in Court if it ever goes that far. Although your question is now moot since  the same objective has been achieved by the non compliant PCN [ie no keeper liability] just  about the only way to dispute the timing of the PCN would be if one kept the envelope and there was a discernible date stamp on it that did not match the date on the PCN. There is a new Act coming out [and it cannot come quickly enough ] and one of the things required is that parking companies will have to prove the date of sending out their PCNs. We are not the only ones who sometimes doubt the veracity of their dates particularly as the later it is sent [unlawfully] the shorter the period motorists have to benefit [?] from the reduced payment. I haven't seen it on your posts but do you know how long you are permitted to park for free?
    • I was so annoyed and frustrated about the fact this case was lost it's been floating around my head all night. Dave962, are you sure that's what the Judge said? .... It doesn't make sense. Did the judge in fact dismiss the case on the grounds that the defendant did not make an appeal within 28 days? Effectively telling the PPC about the error entering the registration number and providing proof of payment at that time? To me, that's an important point.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

NO NAME DEBT COLLECTOR (For Barclaycard) SOLD TO LOWELLS/RED/HAMPTONS - NOW MUCK HALL /MERITFORCE

alfwithhair
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well Lowells are back on it again this morning.

They are threatening to enlist the help of their RED collection Gibbons if I don't contact them. Pass the buck again.

They will get a copy of my credit file to assess my financial curcumstances?

Are they allowed to search my files without my consent? Or is it just the usual hot air to intimidate me in to contacting them.

What does my credit file information have to do with them determinating what options are available to recover the so called debt?

As far as I am aware there are NONE. no CCA, no valid DN and unlawful termination. all of which they and the previous clowns who have tried to collect on it have been told.

lowellsthreatenRED.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well more drivel from the Leeds Losers this morning.

They say it is the last time they will write to me, (thank f**k for that. LOL)

Bring it on RED, lets see what you've got.

They are going to assess my account, my credit file and my financial commitments? Did I give my permission for you to nosey in my credit file?

They will be making recommendations to recover the balance? Recommedations to who? Themselves?

It could include litigation? It might not as well. LOL.

Insolvency? Go for it, I can include all my other debts then and you can pay for it. LOL.

Is it worth emailing them or just continue to ignore them and see what RED has up the sleeve?

lowellsredthreat2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What a nice letter.

I wonder what criteria you have to meet for them to send you a SD? Lime jelly for a brain brain perhaps, oops sorry that's them.

Maybe you should ask them if they get a copy of your credit report to send you a copy it would save you £2 unless of course you want to avoid this. :lol:

Pumpytums

P.S should it have been strawberry jelly as its red?

Well they are scuppered any road,

Is no CCA so CCJ will be difficult to obtain and SD will be waste of time as don't have any property.

Bankruptcy will get them nothing either as don't have now't, but will help to get shut of my other creditors and they foot the bill.

Will leave it up to them

what ever they decide, it is not going to get any payment going their way

• 2 weeks later...

Well more verbal twable from 'Big RED' this morning when I got back.

You can have a nice discount of the outsdtanding balance (wonder why that is)

and if they had looked at my credit file as the say they have, they would know I couldn't find £6 a month let alone £60 LOL

But you must pay or it will be going to HAMPTON LEGAL, oooooooo, how scary.

RedHamptons.jpg

Well first off all, you do not have to accept either offer. And secondly it is they that have to accept what offer of repayment you can actually afford, even if it was just £1 a month.

But then if the account is in dispute you do not have to make any payments to the dispute is resolved. And as they seemed to have forgotten that they have not produced a copy of the CCA following your request then any legal action they take would be unlawful anyway as they can not enforce the debt whilst in default of your CCA request. So a quick letter reminding them of that is called for i think.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

the proposition that no payments are due from the debtor to the creditor whilst a "dispute" remains unresolved is a fallacy and is not correct

the debtor MUST continue to make normal repayments whilst trying to resolve the issues

of course the debtor CAN cease making payments to force the creditor to listen/take the dispute seriously- but don't expect any mercy from the court in this respect.

The law is clear- if you feel strongly enough about the dispute then you should take action against the creditor and not withhold payments

we all do it- I just want to make it clear that there is no "right" in law or in the agreement for the consumer to do so

by refusing to make payments you are in breach of contract.

the proposition that no payments are due from the debtor to the creditor whilst a "dispute" remains unresolved is a fallacy and is not correct

the debtor MUST continue to make normal repayments whilst trying to resolve the issues

of course the debtor CAN cease making payments to force the creditor to listen/take the dispute seriously- but don't expect any mercy from the court in this respect.

The law is clear- if you feel strongly enough about the dispute then you should take action against the creditor and not withhold payments

we all do it- I just want to make it clear that there is no "right" in law or in the agreement for the consumer to do so

by refusing to make payments you are in breach of contract.

If they are in default of your CCA request then they can not enforce the debt in court. And if no payments or agreement to make repayments to the debt collector has been made, then you are not in a contract with debt collector. So refusing to pay can not be a breach of contract when there is no contract between the debtor and the debt collector.

In fact, looking back through the posts in the thread, it says their was no DN or TN, so that means the original creditor had unlawfully terminated the original agreement (contract). So he/she is well within his/her rights to withold payment since it was the creditor that acted in breach of contract and unlawfully.

Edited by teaboy2

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

If they are in default of your CCA request then they can not enforce the debt in court. And if no payments or agreement to make repayments to the debt collector has been made, then you are not in a contract with debt collector. So refusing to pay can not be a breach of contract when there is no contract between the debtor and the debt collector.

In fact, looking back through the posts in the thread, it says their was no DN or TN, so that means the original creditor had unlawfully terminated the original agreement (contract). So he/she is well within his/her rights to withold payment since it was the creditor that acted in breach of contract and unlawfully.

with the greatest of respect- i think you need to learn more before dispensing advice on this subject- your knowledge is lacking

with the greatest of respect- i think you need to learn more before dispensing advice on this subject- your knowledge is lacking

Am not knocking what you said, because if payments where being made to the debt collector and if the original creditor had not unlawfully terminated the CCA. Then you would be right. But in this case they did unlawfully terminate the CCA, therefore they are in breach of contract not the debtor. I accept that they probably terminated it off the back of the debtor defaulting, but still their are rules and regulations that they must follow when issuing default notices and termination notices.

To put it simply, if they went to court their claim would be thrown out due to 1, lack of a CCA and 2, Unlawful termination, in which the Debtor can claim damages of upto £1000.

To say my knowledge is lacking, when i myself have experienced unlawful termination with MBNA, simply ignores the experience and knowlegde i have used successfully against them. This case is very much similar with the unlawful termination.

Put it this way, would a judge pay a debt back when the creditor unlawfully terminated the agreement for whatever reason? No i suspect they wouldnt!

Now am not for avoiding debt, but i am for standing up against creditors and DC that act unlawfully, and as such, like many here, do not believe, or see why people should keep making payments to them and filling their pockets off the back of their unlawfull actions.

If you read the thread fully youd see that the alledged debtor is not actually making any payments anyway, so arguing over weather he/she should be making payments is pointless and not helpful.

To put it simply, if they went to court their claim would be thrown out due to 1, lack of a CCA and 2, Unlawful termination, in which the Debtor can claim damages of upto £1000.

Not wanting to get involved in this conversation, I would just caution on stating certainties where there arent any... for "Would be" it should read "Could be", it is never wise to pre-empt a judges decision on a case.

S.

Ok just to be clear.

When a creditor is in default of a CCA request

Section 78 consumer credit act 1974

(6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with

subsection (1)-

(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce

the agreement

I.E no judge in the land can enforce the debt whilst the creditor is in default of the CCA request. And even if they produced the microfiche copy that they sent the debtor, it would not comply with leglisation due it being clearly unreadable.

Where no default notice is issued

consumer credit act 2006

section 11

(5)If the creditor or owner fails to give the debtor or hirer the notice under this section within the period mentioned in subsection (2), he shall not be entitled to enforce the agreement until the notice is given to the debtor or hirer.

I.E no default notice issued, no right to enforce the debt.

Failure to issue a valid/accurate Default or termination notice:

Failure of a Default or Termination Notice to be accurate not only invalidates such notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co NLD 14 July 199 but it is an unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the Court enforcing any alleged debt (Wilson v First County Trust Ltd (2003) UKHL 40, Wilson V Robertsons (London) Ltd(2006) EWCA Civ 1088, Wilson v Pawnbrokers (2005) EWCA Civ 147) - but would also give the claimant a claim for damages in the sum of £1000 (Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society (1996) 4 All ER 119).

So its not, "could the court enforce the debt", its, "the court will not enforce the debt". As leglislation and case law prevents them from enforcing a debt where anyone of the above has occured.

Hi TB

I understand what you are saying but this things only happen in the minority of cases.

With only a modicum of searching on here or other sites you will find a number of examples where despite right being totally on the side of the defendant the judge has found for the plantiff.

Alf, apologies for the Hijack, if you want to move these posts to another forum/thread :-) feel free!

Ok just to be clear.

subsection (1)-

the agreement

I.E no judge in the land can enforce the debt whilst the creditor is in default of the CCA request. And even if they produced the microfiche copy that they sent the debtor, it would not comply with leglisation due it being clearly unreadable.

McGuffick vs HBOS... bring legal proceedings is only a step to enforcement, its not deemed enforcement therefore I'm almost positive a judge would allow a s78 response to be given to the defendant during proceedings or at worse allow a claimant to stop proceedings and re-issue after providing a s78 response. The OFT have said they would take a dim view of anyone issuing proceedings without responding to s78 or a lender trying it on when they dont have a signed agreement but as the OFT may disappear next week in the spending review I think I'll not bother relying on the OFT to do anything at present.

Carey vs HSBC... s78 responses can be true copies or even reconstructions subject to meeting a few limitations that DJ waksman placed on them.. i.e original debtors address and true and correct terms as per the original agreement, its down to you to prove they are not correct tho as sophisticated financial institutions dont make mistakes apparently! Oh and whilst Carey was about s78 responses waksman went on to say its the courts discretion about using reconstructions in enforcement proceedings if my memory serves me right.

consumer credit act 2006

section 11

(5)If the creditor or owner fails to give the debtor or hirer the notice under this section within the period mentioned in subsection (2), he shall not be entitled to enforce the agreement until the notice is given to the debtor or hirer.

Brandon vs Amex, Amex were entitled to exit the agreement without default as per clause 16 of their t&c default or no default.

Failure of a Default or Termination Notice to be accurate not only invalidates such notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co NLD 14 July 199 but it is an unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the Court enforcing any alleged debt (Wilson v First County Trust Ltd (2003) UKHL 40, Wilson V Robertsons (London) Ltd(2006) EWCA Civ 1088, Wilson v Pawnbrokers (2005) EWCA Civ 147) - but would also give the claimant a claim for damages in the sum of £1000 (Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society (1996) 4 All ER 119).

As above Brandon vs Amex which is a precedent case now but awaiting further appeal

Just wanted to show how the statutes are currently being "warped" "manipulated" or just flexed to the creditors way/will. IMVHO You have to show the judge that you have TRULY been prejudiced or damaged in some way by the banks/dca actions to win a case (unless you get the right DJ who sticks to the statues and doesnt apply the mischief rule for interpreting them.

S.

Edited by the_shadow

Just wanted to throw a spanner in the works The_Shadow and it does depend upon which CCA or SI your account is determined by but for CCA 1999 and prior;

Brandon vs Amex, Amex were entitled to exit the agreement without default as per clause 16 of their t&c default or no default.

I believe the Brandon v Amex is an unreported case so "may not" be referred to if a point in law had already been defined by a Reported Case and as you said Brandon vs Amex is now awaiting further appeal so cant be referred to.

That being said an OC may not rely on a point in the contract as S173 of the CCA voids anything

173 Contracting out Forbidden

1) A term contained in a regulated agreement or linked transaction, or in any other agreement relating to an actual or prospective regulated agreement or linked transaction, is void if, and to the extent that, it is inconsistent with a provision for the protection of the debtor or hirer or his relative or any surety contained in this Act or in any regulation made under this Act.

(2) Where a provision specifies the duty or liability of the debtor or hirer or his relative or any surety in certain circumstances, a term is inconsistent with that provision if it purports to impose, directly or indirectly, an additional duty or liability on him in those circumstances.

(3) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a provision of this Act under which a thing may be done in relation to any person on an order of the court or the Director only shall not be taken to prevent its being done at any time with that person's consent given at that time, but the refusal of such consent shall not give rise to any liability.

Ok just to be clear.

subsection (1)-

the agreement

consumer credit act 2006

section 11

So its not, "could the court enforce the debt", its, "the court will not enforce the debt". As leglislation and case law prevents them from enforcing a debt where anyone of the above has occured.

you are correct with reference to not being able to enforce the agreement

but what is it that you think constitutes "enforcement"

Well 'Big Red' don't want to write to me anymore, Boooooooooooo.

They have give to account to Hamptons.

So I think best thing to do is sit it out and see if they actually start any court proceedings, unless anyone has a better idea?

RedDoorsrep.jpg