• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

letter from ruthbridge-bankruptcy

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4095 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

i have just recieved a letter from ruthbridge stating that they are advising their client to commence bankruptcy proceedings, which may include costs and interest! we only owe them 839.88! it then goes on to say that in order to avoid this i should pay them £503.93 before the 13th aug. obviousley i dont have 500 spare cash oe i would pay them. also we are with a dmc ant the moment! what should i do?:(

Can you get the account below £750. If you can their petition would fail ;)

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)

Its just threats, very rare a DCA or company makes anyone BR.

Would cost them too much & wouldnt be worth their while to just get back £1 per month if anything at all.

Note the use of the words "advising" & "may" - typical DCA speak :rolleyes:

i could get it bellow 750 next week but im with a dmc and if i pay them to get it below 750 then they will know that i cud pay more than what im paying em thru dmc! what do you think is best? i have emailed my dmc but havnt had a reply as yet! dunno if they open on saturdays! ta:(

I wouldnt advise paying them anything at all as they will just see you as an easy target then & harrass you even more.

They wont do anything - just send threats.

Report them to the OFT if you wish...

The OFT has a complaint form on their website:

The Office of Fair Trading: making markets work well for consumers

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

Yes, report Ruthbridge to the OFT - I had the pleasure of doing so twice a few weeks ago. Builds the case against them having a licence up nicely.:D

Are there any unfair/illegal charges they have applied in the £839? If so deduct them, if it is then below £750 you have achieved your aim.

Yorky

Great idea, get a charges reclaim in and dispute the amount owing :)

Ruthbridge are well known on these forums for being purveyors of DIAHORREA of both the verbal and the written kind. Totally ignore their empty threat, It would cost their so called client far more than you allegedly owe to make you bankrupt and even if they were foolish enough to follow the ropey advice of Derek then there is no guarantee they would even get back what was allegedly owed.

OK

what is the alleged debt

credit card loan hp

how old is it

any charges PPi

Have you CCA them.

DiD you get a notice of assignment

Have you SAR the OC.

LILLY

Id quot circumiret, circumveniat.

please do not take my word for anything please do your own research All that i make comments on are done in good faith and to the best of my knowledge

I don't understand. The whole point of a DMC is that they handle this for you! I know most people on this forum do it themselves, but post the threatening letter onto the DMC and forget about it...as said above who is going to spend the money required to make you bankrupt when you're showing willingness to pay off your debt by being in a DMP int he first place! I spoke to mind recently about EGG and they have been handling and will fill in any court forms etc that get sent. Incidentally, they are not against this forum...!

:lol:

Successfully claimed back mis-sold PPI (Barclays Bank) 2009-10 (£8500)

Ran a paid-for DMP. Deeply respect those who self-manage a DMP; it is possible to do with the help of fellow CAGGERS

Offered F&F to all my creditors. All closed out including a particularly intransigent and stubborn one - who eventually saw sense after 10 months of nonsense!

Does not condone debt avoidance but violently disagrees with the antics of debt collectors and their behavior towards the ones trying to pay. I am a great believer in what goes around, comes around. Keep up the good fight!

Not dealing with 3rd parties regarding your debts is in breach of OFT guidlines and should be reported as such.

I don't understand. The whole point of a DMC is that they handle this for you! I know most people on this forum do it themselves, but post the threatening letter onto the DMC and forget about it...as said above who is going to spend the money required to make you bankrupt when you're showing willingness to pay off your debt by being in a DMP int he first place! I spoke to mind recently about EGG and they have been handling and will fill in any court forms etc that get sent. Incidentally, they are not against this forum...!

IMHO DMP are when it comes to crunch time are just that.

i am sure you aware that whatever way you deal with any issues are down to you, but and this the big but, you need to understand and take control.

i wish you a good evening and enjoy the weekend.

Id quot circumiret, circumveniat.

please do not take my word for anything please do your own research All that i make comments on are done in good faith and to the best of my knowledge

I spoke to mind recently about EGG and they have been handling and will fill in any court forms etc that get sent. Incidentally, they are not against this forum...!

Just be careful, a DMC will normally get you to admit the debt and then you end up with a CCJ.

It is very very rare for a dmc to dispute a debt on your behalf

??? Of course I admit my debts, that's not what this is about. This is about someone having the correct agreement in place to enforce a debt. Also, when it comes to court action it's perfectly OK (and infact wise) to admit you owe money but dispute the amount! Asking for a CAA to ensure it's been correctly implemented is not about admitting to a debt.

Ran a paid-for DMP. Deeply respect those who self-manage a DMP; it is possible to do with the help of fellow CAGGERS

Offered F&F to all my creditors. All closed out including a particularly intransigent and stubborn one - who eventually saw sense after 10 months of nonsense!

Does not condone debt avoidance but violently disagrees with the antics of debt collectors and their behavior towards the ones trying to pay. I am a great believer in what goes around, comes around. Keep up the good fight!

OK, I will rephrase that. The DMC will admit that the debt is enforceable.

I would also disagree with you when you say that it is wise to admit a debt - that is never a wise thing to do unless the claimant has proved that the debt is enforceable.

I meant in court in front of a judge. The issue in court is an enforceable credit agreement in place. Also, the fact that you can't agree a figure as in most cases the Creditor has not provided the necessary records for this to be ascertained. I am talking to my DMC about EGG and they are aware of CAG and the advice it gives. So far they've given me nothing but support and encouragement and if I decide to take EGG on they'll remove them form my plan accordingly. Its up to me to give the instruction.

i phoned my dmc and they said that they would ring ruthbridge and sort them out, also they would ring me back and let me knw what they say! if they still insist on this course of action then i think i would get it below 750 just to be on the safe side!!! thanx everyone!:sad: