• Tweets

• Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕
    • Though it would be Highview you would  pursue. DCBL are nonentities-on their best day,
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

RBS Visa......debt in dispute

sythe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

In January 2008, due to prolonged unemployment, I wrote to RBS to tell them I could no longer keep up with required payments to my Visa card. The account went into default. RBS/DCA refused to accept my reduced payment offer and continued to apply interest to the account after the DN was issued. I complained and referred the matter to the FOS. The FOS have now sent me a letter with a settlement offer. The settlement offer is that RBS will deduct the interest + 8%. That amount will reduce the account balance by about 25%. However due to DCA continuing to pursue the account whilst it was in dispute I have considered making a request for a copy of the original signed credit agreement.

Can anyone give me some advice here........should I accept the FOS settlement offer and progress with my credit aggreement request?

....also the only income I have is Child Benefit and Tax Credit, how much of that should I be expected to use to pay to the Visa card account?

Can you scan the default notice, remove identifying details & post it up?

You should certainly request a CCA to see whether the agreement is enforceable, the a/c is still in dispute until you decide whether to accept or not so the DCA cannot do anything. Did the FOS give you a time-frame to respond in?

Can you scan the default notice, remove identifying details & post it up?

You should certainly request a CCA to see whether the agreement is enforceable, the a/c is still in dispute until you decide whether to accept or not so the DCA cannot do anything. Did the FOS give you a time-frame to respond in?

Hi.........I don't have a scanner..........what is it about the DN that you think is relevant?.......

The FOS have given me until 11-August-2009 to sign their acceptance form.......I sent them the following email :

"Thank you for your letter Ref. xxxxxxxxxxx, dated 28-July-2009. The contents of which have been noted.

I would in principal accept the offer to refund all the default charges + 8% statutory interest.

However I require a response from RBS on a couple of issues. On 02-June-2009 I received a letter from Wescot Credit Services pursuing the account.

That letter is in clear breach of the Consumer Credit Act where it states :

UNFAIR BUSINESS PRACTICES

h. ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment

Therefore I wrote to Wescot Credit Services to complain and request a copy of the original signed credit agreement.

I received a letter from Wescot Credit Services dated 31-July-2009 which states that when they sent me the letter, dated 02-June-2009 they were acting on the instruction of their client Royal Bank of Scotland, they also advise that if I wish to request a copy of the signed credit agreement I should write enclosing a £1 fee to:

Royal Bank of Scotland

Consumer Credit Act Request

Cards Customer Care Services

PO Box 5747

Southend on Sea.

It is clear that RBS were in breach of the Consumer Credit Act when they instructed Wescot Credit Services to write to me on 02-June-2009 as they were fully aware that the account was in dispute.

I will now write to RBS to complain about that and request a copy of the signed credit agreement. Once that matter is resolved and I have to hand the document I require I will be in a better position to sign your settlement form.

Your sincerely

xxxxxxxxxxx"

I also sent the following email to Wescot:

"Clients: Royal Bank of Scotland

Client Ref No. xxxxxxxxxxx

With reference to you letter to me Refxxxxxxxxxxx, dated 31-July-2009, the contents of which have been noted.

It is clear from that letter that RBS were in breach of the Consumer Credit Act when they instructed Wescot Credit Services to write to me on 02-June-2009 as they were fully aware that the account was in dispute.

I will now write to RBS to complain about that and request a copy of the signed credit agreement.

Can you therefore please supply to me the contact address of the department of The Royal Bank of Scotland who instructed Wescot Credit Services to write to me on 02-June-2009. Once I receive that address I will consider the matter of my complaint against Wescot Credit Services to be fully resolved."

Edited by karenruthj8
spelling

It is Wescott's responsibility to comply with your CCA request;

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

The reason I asked about the DN is they must give you 14 days from receipt of the notice to rectify the default, it must be date specific not just say 'fourteen days from the date of this letter'.

It is Wescott's responsibility to comply with your CCA request;

The reason I asked about the DN is they must give you 14 days from receipt of the notice to rectify the default, it must be date specific not just say 'fourteen days from the date of this letter'.

I did point out to Wescot that it was their responsability to comply with the CCA request, their reply is that as soon as I made them aware that the account was in dispute the a/c was closed and returned to RBS on 15-June-2009. My CCA request was made to them after that date. So I suppose that makes sense. I will CCA RBS very soon, It seems to me that to sign the FOS acceptance form might somehow adversely affect my position if it should turn out that RBS cannot supply a copy of the original credit agreement......

The DN reads as follows :

12 February 008

"Account Numberxxxxxxxx

Current Balance:£2,061.25

Credit Limit: £1850.00

Arrears: £70.00

We enclose a Default Notice as your account is in arrears and you have exceeded the credit limit.

Please read the Default Notice carefully and ensure that a payment is received to either bring the account within the credit limit (211.25) or bring your payments up to date (£70), whichever is the greater. The payment should be credited to your account within 17 days starting from the day after this notice. If this is done, you will be able to retain your account and use it in the future. You should allow at least four working days for your payment to be credited if paying over the counter at a bank or seven days if posting your payment.

if you do not comply with the Default Notice, you will no longer be covered by any Payment Protection Insurance you may have and we will withhold any renewal cards."

........which is interesting as I am not sure whether I had any PPI on this account........if I did then should that not be deducted from the outstanding balance?......as i have not been able to enjoy any benefit from it?

Edited by karenruthj8
rougue smileys

........which is interesting as I am not sure whether I had any PPI on this account........if I did then should that not be deducted from the outstanding balance?......as i have not been able to enjoy any benefit from it?

ooopsey........I just dug out the old file on this a/c and I did have PPI and did claim on it in April 2007.

It would be better if you can scan and upload it because there are several things which can make a DN defective which means that they would only be able to reclaim the arrears not the total amount.

It doesn't matter whether you accept their offer or not because the amount will be deducted from the amount owing, besides that it wouldn't affect the enforcibility of the debt. The debt is still owed but your arguement would be as to the enforceability of any agreement which was in place.

Wescott's passed it back because they don't want to get their fingers burned. ;)

There are a couple of things wrong with that default notice, firstly it's not laid-out in the prescribed manner also it doesn't give a specific date to remedy by, just saying 17 days from the date of the letter is not acceptable.

Do you still have the envelope it came in, if so what postage was it? Also have they terminated the a/c yet? If not when they do all they will be able to claim are the arrears not the full outstanding balance.

What you need now is the CCA to see if they're in fact entitled to enforce any payment at all. ;)

The DN is invalid. 17 Days from 12th February gives you a date to repair the breech by 1st March.

12th February was a Thursday. If they posted the DN by 1st Class mail, then they have to allow two working days for delivery (4 working days if 2nd class), so it will have been delivered on Monday 16th February. The 14 clear days required by the act would start on Tuesday 17th, which means that the breach would have to be repaired by 3rd March.

They have only allowed you 12 days, not the required 14 days, so making the DN invalid. If they terminate on this DN, then you are only liable for the arrears stated on the DN. Have you had a Termination Notice yet?

Alan

There are a couple of things wrong with that default notice, firstly it's not laid-out in the prescribed manner also it doesn't give a specific date to remedy by, just saying 17 days from the date of the letter is not acceptable.

Do you still have the envelope it came in, if so what postage was it? Also have they terminated the a/c yet? If not when they do all they will be able to claim are the arrears not the full outstanding balance.

What you need now is the CCA to see if they're in fact entitled to enforce any payment at all. ;)

Okey dokey........I'll digest your advice.

I can't find the envelope that the DN came from......at the time that the a/c went haywire I was not up to par with filing..............my father was approaching the end of his life after a long and difficult illness and I'd been diagnosed as suffering from fatigue and anxiety again..........

kindest regards krj8

these might help you understand the position of the DN,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/170345-tale-dodgy-dn.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/208663-tale-dodgy-dn-further.html

so you still have the termination notices?

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

these might help you understand the position of the DN,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/170345-tale-dodgy-dn.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/208663-tale-dodgy-dn-further.html

so you still have the termination notices?

Ida x

Hi Ida..........i will read your info and learn..........thanks again

krj8:O)

I don't know if they've terminated the account.....what kind of document would that be?.......I read through Ida's "tale of a dodgy DN"......but I just don't get it............can you explain it in very simple terms.....sorry for being so thick..........krj8

Hi again............I just trawled through the file and found a letter headed ACCOUNT TERMINATION, it is dated 07-March2008........also found a letter dated 14-March-2009 stating that the PPI cover had been cancelled.

I still don't understand the relevance of these letters.......help please

kind regards krj:O)

Edited by karenruthj8
spelling

the DN has to be in the ocrrect format:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/200901-anatomy-default-notice.html

which means if a DN is not in the correct Format then they terminate the account. You are only liable to pay the amount of arrears on the DN because they have terminated the account wrongly so breach their on agreement.

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

the DN has to be in the ocrrect format:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/200901-anatomy-default-notice.html

which means if a DN is not in the correct Format then they terminate the account. You are only liable to pay the amount of arrears on the DN because they have terminated the account wrongly so breach their on agreement.

Ida x

okey dokey.........I think it's becoming clearer...

If the DN is faulty as Cerberusalert says, then it would seem that all I'm actually due to pay back is either £211.25 or £70......I'm not sure which?

.....anyhoo...I'll bear all the info. in mind.....at the moment however I'll request a copy of the original signed credit agreement.........that way I'll hopefully get some clue where I stand as far as enforceability is concerned.

If there's anything else you could suggest I'd be much obliged.

kindest regards

krj8:O)

you got it.

send the cca to see what they come back with ,

Ida x

Hi.............I've also twigged that the DN seems to be based upon the idea that I was in breach of the card agreement......so if they cannot produce a copy of the original signed credit agreement, how can I be in breach of something that they don't have to hand?

...............does that make logical sense to anyone else? Having suffered so much troubles with credit agreements I most certainly wouldn't want to ever make myself vunerable to the frankly extortionate interest and charges etc that these contracts seem to thrive on......

.....I just wish I had the money to settle this thing and forget it........seems I've been carrying this heavy weight around for far too long.

regards

krj8 :O)

Edited by karenruthj8
spelling

Hi..........I got the the following reply today from the FOS.

Thank you for your e-mail of 1 August 2009.

Whilst I appreciate you have further concerns with the bank's administration of your credit card debt, I need to respectfully point out that I can only consider in isolation the actual complaint you brought to this service. This specifically related to your offer of repayment and the bank continuing to apply interest and charges.

Therefore if, on reflection, you would now like to accept the offer detailed in my letter of 28 July 2009 in full and final settlement of this particular part of your complaint, I would ask you to sign and return the settlement form attached to my letter no later than 18 August 2009.

This would not have any bearing on the additional issues you have raised which would need to form a separate new complaint to the bank. If you then remain unhappy

with its response to these additional issues, you would be able to bring that separate complaint to this service for independent arbitration.

I look forward to receiving your signed settlement form as soon as possible, however, if I have not heard from you further by 18 August 2009 I will assume that you do not wish to take your current complaint further with us and I will let the bank know and close my file.

any advice?.......I really feel I want to pursue the CCA request. So long as accepting the FOS settlement offer will not adversly affect my position.

I was so angry I sent the following reply :

Thank you for your reply.

With the greatest respect, I have waited over 18 months for The Royal Bank of Scotland and the Financial Ombudsman Service to respond satisfactorily to my complaint.

In the interim several Debt Collection Agencies acting on behalf of RBS have harassed me with regard to this disputed account.

As a result of their actions I have now decided to request a copy of the original signed credit agreement with a view to clarifying my position in this matter.

I find it utterly unacceptable that I should now only be granted a matter of weeks to consider my next best course of action. With that in mind I now ask that the FOS grant me enough time to acquire the documents that I am legally entitled to have.

I will in the very near future send a CCA request to RBS and I will contact you again as soon as that is done. As I understand it RBS will then have 12+2 working days and then a further 30 days to comply with my request.

I would appreciate your due diligence in replying to this email

kind regards krj8

Edited by karenruthj8
adding more + spelling

Hi..........I really am going to have a rant now...........of all the slippery, underhanded, unfair, unjust......unreasonable.........RBS stands for Really are lower that the Belly of a Snake.

I am going to hit these people with everything I've got.........faulty DN's.........wrong charges..........pursueing a/c's in dispute............the lot.

I'm going to sit down later today and draft one doozey of a letter to RBS..........it takes a long time for my birse to go up.........but it takes even longer for it to go down again:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x

REVENGE IS A DISH BETTER EATEN COLD.....krj8:O)

any advice?.......I really feel I want to pursue the CCA request. So long as accepting the FOS settlement offer will not adversly affect my position.

Accepting the offer does not affect the CCA.

RBS only have 12 working days from receipt of your request, the 30 days was removed from the Act last year.

Accepting the offer does not affect the CCA.

RBS only have 12 working days from receipt of your request, the 30 days was removed from the Act last year.

thanks cerberusalert.............i'm not going to accept the FOS offer on principle.........how dare they treat me like this..........further to that i'm not going to let wescot off the hook either.......i requested the CCA in June they're not going to get to slope shoulders about that....i intend to fight this thing until RBS no longer hold a credit license.........if it is at all possible...........i brought Thompson Regional Newspapers to their knees several years ago and RBS don't scare me in the slightest.