1st Credit asking for medical history

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, After a Debt being passed around for over a year at last, 1St Credit have agreed to my payment plan. All's well that end's well you may think but in my letter to them I explained that due to poor health reasons I have been unable to work for the last 3 years. In their very "sensitive" letter their words not mine they will only agree to this if I supply a G.P letter or covering letter from one of my Consultant's confirming my medical history. Now I have nothing to hide but why should I have to have the extra embarrassment of asking my G.P or Consultant for a letter for a Debt collection company. Does this firm have any legal rights to ask for this letter? and if they have and I refuse is it a good enough reason to refuse my offer?.

Hope someone can give me some advice, thanks.

LEE.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, After a Debt being passed around for over a year at last, 1St Credit have agreed to my payment plan. All's well that end's well you may think but in my letter to them I explained that due to poor health reasons I have been unable to work for the last 3 years. In their very "sensitive" letter their words not mine they will only agree to this if I supply a G.P letter or covering letter from one of my Consultant's confirming my medical history. Now I have nothing to hide but why should I have to have the extra embarrassment of asking my G.P or Consultant for a letter for a Debt collection company. Does this firm have any legal rights to ask for this letter? and if they have and I refuse is it a good enough reason to refuse my offer?.

Hope someone can give me some advice, thanks.

LEE.

If you are receiving a benefit that is illness related, DLA/IB etc then that should be proof enough.

They have no "rights" to anything

S.

They have absolutely no right to any of your personal information, least of all your medical history!:eek:

File that letter as evidence and make a formal complaint to them and the OFT, TS, ICO, FOS, what a bloody cheek!:mad:

Edited by Bazooka Boo
Typo............again!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I am getting IB, that is related to my illness and could send them proof of that. I am not happy about them having my National Insurance number though that is printed on the DWP letter can I block that out?. Thanks for good advice LEE.

You dont need to send them proof of anything. Just send if you want a letter stating you are in receipt of relavant benefit and dwp considered your illness proof enough. Seriously though they are not going to show anymore sympathy knowing more details. They will just say ok we realise your situation but you must pay. In fact it could cause you more pressure than needed.

I do not believe your creditor has any legal right to the production of a report from your GP on your medical history or on anything else for that matter. These things are confidential. However, if your creditor believes (rightly or wrongly, it doesn't matter) that such information is necessary in order to assess the reasonableness of your offer they are free to ask for it, just as much as you are free to tell them to get lost.

As you say, you have nothing to hide, so if you adopt a position where you decline the creditor's request the creditor may conclude that you do have something to hide in which event, your reluctance to give full and frank disclosure of something your creditor believes is necessary in order to make an assessment, may result in your offer being rejected. It may be rejected after disclosure of the medical report as well of course.

Ultimately whether to agree to disclose a report is a matter entirely for you after weighing up the pros and cons.

x20

I am getting IB, that is related to my illness and could send them proof of that. I am not happy about them having my National Insurance number though that is printed on the DWP letter can I block that out?. Thanks for good advice LEE.

Its your choice, personally I wouldnt send anything just advise them that you are receiving it and let them stew.

If you do feel you have to send anything remove anything you dont want them to see, reference numbers/nat insurance numbers etc. Give them the bare and I mean bare minimum!!!

I once sent a wage slip with just my name and the amount I'd taken home left on it, everything else blacked out :-D

S.

IMHO and sheer bloody mindedness I still wouldn't send them anything relating to my ilness or disability, in fact I would find that extremely offensive, my disablilty is my own business and certainly not for them to make any judgement on my ability to pay an alleged debt.

My only response to their impertinent request woul be to demand their complaints procedure and to again re-iterate what I could comfortably afford to pay them, failing that I would tell them if they would not accept the offer to take me to court where a judge could decide, I find it incredible there is even any question over whether or not to send them this confidential information:mad:

Although I am nursing a bit of a hangover:D

Boo;-)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Shadow said it.

If you've been awarded invalidity benefit and obviously therefore, been medically assessed as entitled to it, that would seem to me to bury the need for the disclosure of a 3 year medical history. All they need is evidence that you are in receipt of the benefit.

x20

Thank's Boo,

I totally agree with you but understand that after this Debt being passed from one company to another for 15 months and me writting over 12 letters I want it put to bed and any threat taken from over my head. I do find it insulting and am not happy but also want to make it as easy as poss to deal with these P**T'S.

LEE.

Thank's Boo,

I totally agree with you but understand that after this Debt being passed from one company to another for 15 months and me writting over 12 letters I want it put to bed and any threat taken from over my head. I do find it insulting and am not happy but also want to make it as easy as poss to deal with these P**T'S.

LEE.

No worries, I understand, after all it's not me they are harassing, and it will eventually grind the best of us down I guess;-)

Good luck, keep us all posted if you need anymore help.

Boo;-)

Nighthawk

In the days, not so long ago but before I decided to take control of our situation, I was in a similar situation where Rossendale's asked me to provide proof of my DLA award, proof of child benefit award, proof of tax credits etc etc etc so that they could 'consider' my offer. I also sent an I & E sheet showing my essential outgoings.

I stupidly complied & they INCREASED the amount they wanted by 600%!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

THIS WILL NEVER EVER EVER HAPPEN AGAIN!

They totally ignored my I & E and said that there were too many non-essential costs (that'll be mortgage,food,pet food etc etc then).

They can ask but they cannot have is my motto now for DCA's wanting proof of my personal & private affairs.

PS I got my MP involved & they're taking the case up with Rossendales so I feel that in itself is a small triumph!:D

Something that hasn't as yet been mentioned in this thread is what they might then do with the information you send them as in pass it on to their 'partners' yeah right.

Send them nothing, if they want medical evidence let them apply for it via the proper channels as they have no 'proper channel' to gain access to it then it should give you the answer.

If you do send them what they're after they may keep you at your offer and of course you offered them the information in the first place and they're only trying to qualify your comments......which is feasible...but not plausible....as if they give a fig.

I would be more worried about your medical information being in the hands of 1st credit and what/who they may pass it on to. They're not qualified, they have no medical training etc.

I guess you could have them write to your Doc requesting the info...and then tell your doc that under no circumstances are you prepared for him/her to divulge any information to a third party without your consent...(not that they would anyway) so you've been plausible but your Doc has given them a brick wall.....etc etc..

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.