Jump to content

You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds


You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds



BankFodder BankFodder


BankFodder BankFodder

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • ok again thanks for all advice , im going to continue and struggle on paying the wifes debts and maybe look at getting reduced payments but as for mine i think ill go down the DRO route and try get it sorted but will see and open new bank account somewhere first
    • Nothing to do with your own Bank.     Try to withdraw the money from Parentpay early next week and if no joy contact them.   It may be that the money is showing, but has not fully cleared on their system,
    • Hi all,   Just an update with contractual terms. These terms are from a contract at a similar time to when Tracey started as we think they have changed since.   The contract reads as follows:   Termination of employment  Xxxxxxx (Nursery) will provide written notice of termination of your employment in accordance with statutory requirement (currently 1 week’s notice for each year of continuous service, up to a maximum 12 week’s notice).   Once you have successfully completed your probationary period for the company you are required to give 1 month’s written notice of termination of employment.   Regards   Matt             
    • Thanks for helping with the post;   Still waiting for a reply from the DPD.
    • I thank the Consumer Action Group Members for getting me this far in my case which is still in progress.   Situation: The Court has reversed earlier permission for me to rely on witness summaries.    The question upon which I am seeking help, please,  is - do I need to bother myself as to why the Court has reversed permission to rely on witness summaries?  If so, what line of logic or law can might I follow because clearly, the Court has said one thing and then another a few weeks later, of its own motion, the Court has reversed the earlier decision. I find this development quite extraordinary in the sense that as a result of being granted permission earlier, I served the three Witness Summons which had the Court stamp.   Background Having given me permission to serve 'Witness Summons' which I served on 3 hostile witnesses several weeks ago, the Court has now reversed it's earlier decision, and refused me permission to rely on 'witness summaries' pursuant to paragraph 32.9(2), citing that I have not shown steps taken to obtain witness statements from the 3 hostile witnesses.  I however, made two attempts to talk to the hostile witnesses who have been non responsive and I can evidence this.   I would be immensely grateful for some steer from Forum Members, please.
  • Our picks

    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 6 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies

Worms In My Baby's Formula Milk

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3991 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

What Should I Do?


I Have Complained To a baby milk powder supplier. Nothing Has Been Done Yet. They Told Me To Send Back The 2 Big Packs (powder) Of the product In Which I Saw Worms. But If I Give Them Away ..i Lose The Proof. So I Am Holding On To Them And Trying To Find Out Where I Can Lodge A Complaint Against This.


Baby's Food - Contamination Of This Can Result In Baby's Death.


Why Isn't Anyone Taking This Seriously...


I Have Informed Everyone I Know About This...to Spread The Word To Avoid Their Babies Having Worms In Their Milk.


Please Help And Let Me Know How To Take This Forward.


Many Many Thanks,


Edited by slick132
Company names removed

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Miamol and welcome to CAG.


You should speak to an Environmental Health Officer at your local council.


The product can be handed over to them. They'll have the facilities to test the product, investigate the problem and, most importantly, deal with the producer as necessary.


I've edited your post to remove the Company's name - CAG cannot publish it at this stage as it could put our Site at risk.



We could do with some help from you

                                                                PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING



                                            Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.


Thanks !:-)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much.


Yes, I do have the proofs - 2 packs (powder packs) with the black worms in it.


I did write to the Mayor of Newham, but have received no response yet.


How can I contact the Environmental Health Officer of Newham? Can you give me any contact details for them? That'll be a great help.




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Food Safety Unit

Alice Billings House

2-12 West Ham Lane

London E15 4SF

Contact Details


Telephone: 020 8430 2000 ext 25283

Textphone: 123

Fax: 020 8430 4434

Email: food@newham.gov.uk

Eform: Online Enquiry Form


Opening Hours:


Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

Emergency Telephone:


At all other times, including evenings, weekends and bank holidays, please call 020 8472 9624

Local Service Centres:

Find your local service centre, which offers advice and information on all council and some non-council services.


This is from the Newham council website, heres the link there is also an online form.


Get in Touch

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much, I contacted the newham council at the number given by you and they told me to call Trading Standards at 0845 4040 506.


I am talking to them now...I think it will help.




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

After a 20 min long call on that 0845 number, i was given the number for Food Safety Unit - 0208430 3831.


Have made a complaint with them. They said someone will contact me on Monday and collect the packs too.


Hope this gets sorted and the Formula Milk company withdraws these contaminated packs from the market.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...