Robinson Way CCJ/CO Cap1 card debt - was unable to respond - now want to set aside **LOST** - appealed - **WON** Claim reset - **WON - Case dismissed**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4714 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HANSARD 1803–2005 1980s 1983 November 1983 3 November 1983 Written Answers (Commons) TRADE AND INDUSTRY

Consumer Credit Act 1974

HC Deb 03 November 1983 vol 47 cc434-5W 434W

Mr. John Taylor asked the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry when he will lay regulations and orders to implement further provisions of the
Consumer Credit Act 1974
; and if he will make a statement.

§ Mr. Alexander Fletcher I have today laid regulations to implement all the remaining major provisions of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 together with a draft order to increase certain monetary limits in the Act. With the exception of those monetary limits mentioned in my statement to the House on 25 October 1983 which will come into force at the beginning of 1984, all the remaining provisions will come into force in May 1985. I have proposed the 18-month lead-in period to allow the credit industry time to adjust to the new legal requirements.

Consumers will benefit from new protection over the whole range of credit and hire agreements. Traders will benefit from the rationalisation of the law on credit, some of which is over a century old. Extensive consultation has taken place and I am satisfied that a careful balance has been struck between consumer protection and the need to limit the burdens on the credit industry.

The statutory instruments I have laid are as follows:

• S.I. 1983/1552—Consumer Credit (Agreements to enter Prospective Agreements) (Exemptions) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1553 — Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1554—Consumer Credit (Payments Arising on Death) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1555 — Consumer Credit (Credit-Token Agreements) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1556 — Consumer Credit (Guarantees and Indemnities) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1557—Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1558 — Consumer Credit (Notice of Cancellation Rights) (Exemptions) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1559 — Consumer Credit (Repayment of Credit on Cancellation) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1560 — Consumer Credit (Linked Transactions) (Exemptions) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1561 — Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1562 — Consumer Credit (Rebate on Early Settlement) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1564 — Consumer Credit (Settlement Information) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1565 — Consumer Credit (Conduct of Business) (Pawn Records) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1566 — Consumer Credit (Pawn-Receipts) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1567 — Consumer Credit (Loss of Pawn-Receipt) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1568 — Consumer Credit (Realisation of Pawn) Regulations 1983 435
  • S.I. 1983/1569—Consumer Credit (Prescribed Periods for Giving Information) Regulations 1983
  • S.I. 1983/1570 — Consumer Credit (Running-Account Credit Information) Regulations 1983
  • Draft Consumer Credit (Increase of Monetary Limits) Order 1983

I have also made the following orders:

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All amended by 2004 regs. Problem is Reg 2 was, as far as I can see, replaced by 2004 regs and can't seem to work back using the 2004 regs. Reg 2, before being replaced is what I believe I need.

robin are you saying that the 1983 regs are not in force after 2004 i am confused which is easy

I'm confused as well lilly. If you look at the start of reg 2 it states:-

"UK Parliament SIs 1980-1989/1983/1551-1600/Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553)/[2 Form

and content of regulated consumer credit agreements]"

I assume the square brackets relate to SI 1983/1553, which is fine. However after the heading "2 Form and content etc", it starts with the left square bracket [(1) and is closed off at the end of (10)

Also (4)© is enclosed by square brackets.

At the end of regs 2 the following is stated:-

"Substituted by SI 2004/1482, regs 2, 4 (as amended by SI 2004/2619, reg 2(1), (2)).

Date in force: 31 May 2005: see SI 2004/1482, reg 1; for transitional provisions see reg 18 thereof."

Its this that is leaving me somewhat confused as it would suggest that reg 2 has been changed effective from 31/05/2005 and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to find the regs pre SI 2004/1482.

As you rightly say, the 2004 amendments show reg 2 as being replaced in its entirety. IMHO it would only take some smart axxxd barrister to produce something different and the form and content argument could fail. See my point. or am being a bit slow?

well i would feel that when you sign or not any agreedment on whatever dated that would be date to look for

so before 2004 1983 regs.

After 2004 the 2004 regs come into play ets hope this helps

Edited by lilly white

General question about SAR made to one of my other creditors MBNA. My SAR has been returned with a request for "a form of positive identification" they have asked for a copy of my driving licence or passport.

Any guidance please on how I should respond (didn't get this with capone)? Can they actually ask this? if yes, should I draw a line through the copy of my signature so that they can see it but not reproduce it?

Robin

I dont think they can actually insist on a copy of a passport or driving licence.. after all, what if you dont have either?

A utility bill should suffice alternatively you could advise that in the light of indentity theft, you are happy to phone them and go through security questions. remember to blank your phone id by using "141" first if you are using a landline :) ALthough they have already probably sent you sensitive information so what's their problem. Are they just being obstructive ?.. dont answer that one:rolleyes:

How long have they had your request before deciding they require this information ?. They are supposed to ask for any further information in a timely manner.

If you are happy to send a copy of your DL or passport (and I wouldnt) then yes, I would obscure the signature.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I dont think they can actually insist on a copy of a passport or driving licence.. after all, what if you dont have either? Agree

A utility bill should suffice alternatively you could advise that in the light of indentity theft, you are happy to phone them and go through security questions. remember to blank your phone id by using "141" first if you are using a landline :) ALthough they have already probably sent you sensitive information so what's their problem. Are they just being obstructive ?.. dont answer that one:rolleyes: Ask a silly question, as they say :)

How long have they had your request before deciding they require this information ?. They are supposed to ask for any further information in a timely manner. Not a timely manner in my book 14/12 - 11/01

If you are happy to send a copy of your DL or passport (and I wouldnt) then yes, I would obscure the signature.

Thanks for advice citizenB.

Robin

Message for LillyWhite or anyone else who may be able to help. Lilliy kindly brought to my attention 2 pieces of case law Rank Xerox Finance Ltd v Hepple and Walker v SPPL.

I have try to find copies of the judgments without any success. Can anyone help to point me in the right direction for these.

R

Have you looked here ?

BAILII - England and Wales Court of Appeal (Civil Division) Decisions

Will ask around for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have you looked here ?

BAILII - England and Wales Court of Appeal (Civil Division) Decisions

Will ask around for you.

I have CitizenB. I have subsequently found walker v sppl, but it is cited as SPPL Ltd v Walker [2009] EWCA Civ 1218 and where SPPL won their appeal. Just trying to find Rank Xerox v Hepple now as I understand in this debtor had debt reduced from £5k to £500 as result of 1 defect in agreement in respect of its form and content.

R

:rolleyes: No wonder I couldnt find it.

I am having no luck with Rank Xerox, will keep plugging away. :)

BCOBS

:rolleyes: No wonder I couldnt find it.

I am having no luck with Rank Xerox, will keep plugging away. :)

This was a case PT referred to in a letter and brought to my attention by Lillywhite. I'm wondering if walker v SPPL as referred to and subsequently appealed was from the County Court and could be Rank Xerox v Hepple may be from county court as well. Basically, what I'm looking for is case law that I can cite for a breach of Consumer Credit Agreement(Regulations) 1983 Reg 2 Form and Content and setting some kind of benchmark for how much a debt can be reduced for a breach of these regs (ie IEA only enforceable by an order of court) and the remedy in CCA 127(1)(ii)

R

Robin, I have flagged the previous post for PT, if he has referred to the case law then he will more likely know where it can be found :)

BCOBS

Have you checked out the case law in the CAG library..

The Consumer Forums - Cases

There are two pages of links, which then take you on to others.

scroll to 18 which deals with consumer credit. But there might be others lurking.

BCOBS