still Statute Barrred if made payment??

sparty101
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have tried to find a thread that decribes this fully so hope someone can help me.

I was contacted about 12 months ago by a DCA for a debt from approx 2000 - 2001. They threatened all manner of collection tactics and 'persuaded' me to make a payment arrangement with them. The debt itself was for about £10,000 and I have been paying them £50 per month for about 1 year.

Recently I was contacted by a different DCA regarding a different debt and was advised to look into it being statute barred which I have actioned (thanks to the templates from here)

this has made me think about the first debt, as I have seen somewhere that if 6 years passed before making any payments then the debt is still considered unenforceable even though I have made the payments and probably in doing this acknowledged the debt. Is this correct? if it is how should I go about advising the DCA? is there a template letter that would fit this?

sorry its so many questions, hope someone can help

You are correct, once Stat barred always Stat Barred.

Send this

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

Expct them to come back saying you have paid or adapt letter saying you have become aware that 6 yrs had passed before they bullied you into payment.

Also report them to OFT, TS etc.

Jogs

No. If you made the payment after 6 years with no acknoweldgement it does not become "unbarred". You have to have made a payment within the 6 years for the clock to start ticking again.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 2 months later...

Hello all, I have finally now had a letter from the DCA (instant silver) involved in this (I have misplaced any previous correspondance so didn't have the reference number) because I had made payments towards the debt I tweaked the template a little. Could anyone have a look over this and let me know if I am making a mistake with my changes?

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

We would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

A period of time greater than this transpired between the occurrence of this alleged debt and any payments coerced from myself towards it. Therefore we believe the act applies and this alleged debt is Statute Barred.

Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to CPUTR2008

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Perhaps you should add that if they continue to pester you without providing proof that there is no six year window where you have not paid into or acknowledged the debt, then you will, without hesitation, report them to trading standards.

What the heck.... ring trading standards anyway (08454 040506) and report them because you can be sure that they know it's a statute barred account.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have received a letter back from the DCA today which may change this a little for me :(

Their rather short letter states 'The agreement has already been enforced and judgement entered' it goes on to say immediate proposal for payment is required to prevent further court action.

it quotes Uxbridge county court and a claim number.

I don't specifically remember a CCJ against me, but at the time of the original debt there was a number of financial issues and did bury my head a little so could be accurate.

do I have any further options to stop me having to pay them anything? I am not really in a position to offer much.

I have read on other threads about asking for proof of the original agreement amongst other things could I or should I pursue this? or does the CCJ over ride this anyway

any help you can offer is greatly appreciated

thanks

you need to find out if you do in fact have a ccj and when it was granted. either call uxbridge cc and ask or check your credit file

i would not trust a dca to be clear about ccj's so would always advise to check yourself

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)