You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• This is more than helpful. Thank you so much. I will get the cca done tomorrow and post the reply from them for what to do next. Thank you all again. 
    • 12+2 working days.   a dca can't hurt you credit file any more anyway.   only the original creditor can issue and register a default, on or before the sale of the debt.   what the dca put in the calendar section is immaterial as only you and them can see it it does not extend the 6yrs period whereby the debt shows on your file and after which the 6th defaulted date's birthday causes the whole file to removed regardless to paid or not, paying or not......makes no odds. it still goes, but might still be owed mind, depending upon the contents of the CCA return.   dx  
    • Hello   I agree with dx100uk.   Send them a CCA request which is a request for them to produce the original agreement that gives rise to the debt.  They have a limited amount of time (I think around fifteen days) to send you the document.   Here are the possible follow-ons from that:   1. They don't respond within 15 days and so you are legally entitled to stop paying until they do send a response. 2. They send a letter saying they have gone back to the original creditor to ask for the document and they need more time.  You (legally) stop paying after fifteen days and don't pay them again until they send proof. (This is the most likely first response as they wont have any of your documentation as they bought your debt as part of 1000 others on a spreadsheet on a CD ROM or USB stick). 3. They send you something that looks like a contract or which might be something else that they want you to think is the contract within the time frame.   After either of the above  whatever they send you should be referred back here for an assessment as they will often send you unsigned documents or made up bits of nonsense.  Even if the contract turns out to be the genuine one it still might not be enforceable due to errors made by the creditor at the time of signing.   The only potential downside to the above is that they could try to damage your credit record but probably it is as much damaged as it can be by this debt already so nothing else they can do will make it worse.   Following on from the above you can continue to not pay them.  I would setup an on-line savings account and pay yourself the money instead which has the advantage of creating a resource in case you need to resume payments in the future.   They may send you further letters either inducing you to resume payments by threat or by offering you a deal.  If the document is not valid then the only deal you need to take is the one you unilaterally entered into at T plus 15 days when you agreed with yourself not to pay them another penny.   It is not impossible that they will send you a letter saying the debt is unenforceable (miraculously I have actually seen one!) and asking you to pay anyway which you will of course ignore as you should not be giving any member of this low life industry any encouragement.  
    • I agree and I've no doubt that will happen in the future, but if a court claim is issued and a ccj successfully registered against the debtor then it will never be sb anyway, so are we more likely to see more court claims in the future ?      Can it not work both way though, if the sb date is ultimately aligned to the date of the default notice, essentially giving the creditor 6 years to collect or issue a court claim then regardless of when the debt was last acknowledged / payment made, a debtor could just tell the creditor to eff off after the 6 years is up, figuratively speaking     
    • Received acknowledgement of defence submission from court. VCS now have the option of continuing their claim or not. Watch this space !!!!
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
sparty101

still Statute Barrred if made payment??

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3902 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I have tried to find a thread that decribes this fully so hope someone can help me.

I was contacted about 12 months ago by a DCA for a debt from approx 2000 - 2001. They threatened all manner of collection tactics and 'persuaded' me to make a payment arrangement with them. The debt itself was for about £10,000 and I have been paying them £50 per month for about 1 year.

Recently I was contacted by a different DCA regarding a different debt and was advised to look into it being statute barred which I have actioned (thanks to the templates from here)

this has made me think about the first debt, as I have seen somewhere that if 6 years passed before making any payments then the debt is still considered unenforceable even though I have made the payments and probably in doing this acknowledged the debt. Is this correct? if it is how should I go about advising the DCA? is there a template letter that would fit this?

sorry its so many questions, hope someone can help

You are correct, once Stat barred always Stat Barred.

Send this

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

Expct them to come back saying you have paid or adapt letter saying you have become aware that 6 yrs had passed before they bullied you into payment.

Also report them to OFT, TS etc.

Jogs

No. If you made the payment after 6 years with no acknoweldgement it does not become "unbarred". You have to have made a payment within the 6 years for the clock to start ticking again.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

fantastic, thanks so much for the fast responses. will get the letter out in the morning:)

Hello all, I have finally now had a letter from the DCA (instant silver) involved in this (I have misplaced any previous correspondance so didn't have the reference number) because I had made payments towards the debt I tweaked the template a little. Could anyone have a look over this and let me know if I am making a mistake with my changes?

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

We would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

A period of time greater than this transpired between the occurrence of this alleged debt and any payments coerced from myself towards it. Therefore we believe the act applies and this alleged debt is Statute Barred.

Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to CPUTR2008

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Yes that's fine.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Perhaps you should add that if they continue to pester you without providing proof that there is no six year window where you have not paid into or acknowledged the debt, then you will, without hesitation, report them to trading standards.

What the heck.... ring trading standards anyway (08454 040506) and report them because you can be sure that they know it's a statute barred account.

Hi sparty

Just wondering if you may be able to claim back what you have paid to this DCA.

Regards

SC

As far as I know, if you pay into a statute barred account you do not have grounds to get the money back. You still owe(d) the money. "Statute Barred" only removes their permission to press for payment.

Hi, I have received a letter back from the DCA today which may change this a little for me :(

Their rather short letter states 'The agreement has already been enforced and judgement entered' it goes on to say immediate proposal for payment is required to prevent further court action.

it quotes Uxbridge county court and a claim number.

I don't specifically remember a CCJ against me, but at the time of the original debt there was a number of financial issues and did bury my head a little so could be accurate.

do I have any further options to stop me having to pay them anything? I am not really in a position to offer much.

I have read on other threads about asking for proof of the original agreement amongst other things could I or should I pursue this? or does the CCJ over ride this anyway

any help you can offer is greatly appreciated

thanks

you need to find out if you do in fact have a ccj and when it was granted. either call uxbridge cc and ask or check your credit file

i would not trust a dca to be clear about ccj's so would always advise to check yourself

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

They may indeed have a CCJ but if it's over six years old they would have to apply to the court for permission to enforce it & show very good reasons why they didn't in the past.

Does this CCJ show on your credit file? If not it's over six years old.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT