Does anybody know my rights????

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

I moved into a property in Feb and moved out last week at the end of the tenancy. I was there 6 months. The other tenants had lived there 5 months longer than me. Because of this I did not pay a deposit because the house was previously covered, therefore I did not give a guarantor and was neither chased up about it.

I had NO heating in my room for the 6 months I was there and although the agency were made aware of this 3 times in feb, they did nothing. The radiator leaked damp and mold onto my carpet.

I therefore have withheld the last months rent because for 6 months I had no heating. Fair?

I also made a stain on the carpet, which I was willing to pay for the cleaning of until I realised the agency would have to deep clean the carpet anyway for the mold stain caused by the radiator they failed to fix.

Because I am withholding that rent, the Agency are now telling me that they are retaining the other tenants full deposits until I pay the outstanding rent!!!

Are they allowed to do this?

I thought it was illegal, surely the most they COULD do is keep the outstanding dept!?

PLEASE HELP!

No not fair that you had no heating and Not fair that in response you havent paid the last months rent. There are certain steps to be followed to withold rent in order to get something repaired yourself but definatley not to compensate yourself.

If you have stained the carpet, you should contribute towards its cleaning.

I bet the other tenants love you! Whats your contractural arrangements? do you have your own seperate agreement or where you added to the other tenants agreement when you moved in? If its the later, then they are quite right to withold the other tenants deposit up to the amount owed.

What the other tenants will have to do if you refuse to pay is take you to county court.