You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

Surfer01

Extended benefits on returning to work?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4002 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Last year, at the end of October I was made redundant and it took me until the end of June 2009 to find employment again. I was therefore unemployed for a period of more than 26 weeks. I signed on every 2nd week and when they stopped paying me Job seekers allowance I still continued to sign on.

When I got employment I went straight to the Jobcentre and went through all the rigmarole to advise that I would be starting employment the next day. The benefits agency were updated by the Jobcentre in addition to myself updating them by phone.

I applied for the Extended Housing as I was unemployed for longer than 26 weeks without a break, but they are refusing it stating that as my Job Seekers allowance ended in May I am not entitled to the Extended Benefits when I returned to work. I did not claim income based benefits as my wife works full time.

This council has to be one of the most incompetent councils on the face of this earth as from day one they have messed up our benefits.

As far as I am aware I am entitled to these extended benefits on Housing and Council Tax.

I have had a read of the council tax regulations at The Council Tax Benefit Regulations 2006 and also the housing benfits at The Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 but it does not make much sense to me.

Can any one please advise?

You can only get the extention if you have already been receiving it. If housing benefit and council tax benefit ended in May along with jobseekers, you are not entitled to it.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Prior to starting work we were receiving Housing and Council Tax benefits which is why I thought it would continue. We only started receiving this when the JSA payment stopped and had been receiving it for 3 weeks prior to me starting work.

I have recently been told that I'll get benefits incl housing for an extra 4 weeks when I get a job. Because I've been on Jobseekers (both bases) for more than 6 months though.

Seems there is one rule for one and another made up by the local council!

Sorry - it's not your council - it's the regulations. You need to have received income-based jsa for part of the period or you do not qualify. Only getting contribution-based jsa means you do not qualify for extended hb/ctb.

If you are on a low income between both of you (and if you have dependant children) you could always see if you qualify for any hb/ctb. Nothing ventured and all that........

If my advice has been helpful tip the scales

West brom SETTLED

Halifax current SETTLED IN FULL

halifax curent (2nd) stayed. Visa - SETTLED

2nd visa LBA sent

halifax for the 3rd time. LBA sent

Egg - SETTLED GE Money - SETTLED Barclaycard SETTLED twice

Sainsbury's - Awaiting court date

Co-op cc SETTLED IN FULL 2nd claim. Settled in full

National Westminster Settled in full. 2nd claim. N1 submitted

HFC bank SETTLED. HFC 2nd claim - lba sent 21/10/08 Time Retail N1 filed Argos settled in full Creation - SETTLED IN FULL

I received contributions based Job seekers allowance as signing on qualifies you for this as you still "receive" NI, but was told I did not qualify for the income based allowance as my wife worked more than 24 hours a week. Try living on no income especially when returning to work in the first month. I am now begining to regret returning to work because of all these hassles which are not of my making. Should have become a professional sponger except my ethnics will not allow me to do that.