You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3995 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

When I first moved into my flat 4 months ago the walls of the bathroom were mouldy. Before I moved in I asked the landlord to fix the issue which he promised to do. He painted over the mould, which did not fix the problem.

Over the next few weeks I reported that it had come back nearly instantly and that the bathroom walls appeared to be severely damaged. It turns out that there was a leak from upstairs that had been happening for a very long time. Insurance agreed to cover it and started ripping up the bathroom 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately the walls were still too damp to complete the renovation.

For the last 3 weeks there have been industrial driers running night and day in my flat. The drying company came out this week and say that the moisture levels are higher than when the drying started, meaning that the leak still needs to be fixed, then the drying done for another 2-3 weeks, then the renovation done.

I feel like I am going to lose my mind. My bathroom is disgusting--they have taken all of the tiles off the walls and it's just exposed cement and mould everywhere. There are drying machines so loud that I can hear them from outside the flat when the door is closed. I'm expected to empty the dehumidifier a few times a day, and am being asked to take time off work to meet with the insurance people, etc. Every part of this has been delayed, there are people coming into my flat without warning and I have no confidence that this will be finished any time soon.

I don't really know what to do, as it now appears that this is going to go on for at least another month. I moved out of my last flat because the 2 weeks of promised construction (that were meant to be done before I moved in) weren't done for 3 months, so I moved because I couldn't bear living in a construction site. And now 4 months later, it's happening again!

I don't really understand what the landlord's obligations are in regards to this situation. What would be a reasonable rent reduction in this situation? I moved in on April 1, so in 2 days is my deadline for giving 2 months notice for my 6 month break clause. I don't know if I should just give notice and let them do the renovation once I move. I just can't stomach living through this again. Just the level of noise from the fans/dehumidifier/etc from the last few weeks is making me crazy.

Sorry for such a long post! I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

In my opinion, your "quiet enjoyment" of your home is being seriously affected. I think you should be living either rent free (whose bill is the electricity for the drying equipment?) or your landlord should be providing you with alternative accommodation.

Have a chat with the Environmental Health department at your local council - or with Shelter or CAB. I am sure you do not have to put up with this.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

It's not bad enough to be rent-free, but it's really, really annoying.

I think since I made my last post I've decided to give notice. Can I ask that they delay the renovation work until I move out or must I live through it?

I would certainly ask LL for some compensation, start with rent free for last months if they want to continue or just donyt pay, let him set against deposit? watch he does not try to deduct from deposit so get in first.

You can certainly request that renovations works be delayed until you leave.

A tenant's "quiet enjoyment" is paramount in tenant law. You do not have to permit ANYONE entry to the property whilst you are in occupation and can therefor refuse to allow your landlord, or any of his representatives, workers etc. to enter the property.

Any attempt to do so can be seen as harrassment and is a criminal offence.

I hope you find somewhere nice to move to - don't accept anything that is not exactly how you want it. If anything needs to be done, insist it is done BEFORE you sign the tenancy.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice