Kearnez

Barclays Default Help Requested

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4022 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

This is simply a superb website with an excellent wealth of information. I hoped somebody might be able to help me out please:

I've only recently found out I have a default when I applied for a student account with Halifax. They obviously rejected my application on the grounds of this default. The default is from 2008 and relates to a bank account which I'd closed but forgotten to change a direct debit to my new bank, as such the charges started rolling in! The end balance was £238 but my default balance was £270. The lovely manager at Halifax advised me to pay the default so at least it shows satisfied so I paid it last Friday (24/07/2009).

It only occurs to me now, that at the time of the default being placed on my credit file, I did not live at the address so have no way of knowing if the default notice was served correctly.

My concerns are, as I've paid, have I completely weakened my bargaining position to remove this default? Will I still be able to reclaim my money as it is bank charges? And lastly, what on Earth should my next step be?

I've not entered into any communication with Barclays, only to pay the balance over the phone last Friday.

PLEASE help as otherwise I'll find my student years being the most difficult I've ever known!

Hi Kearnez,

Getting a default removed is difficult and time consuming in most cases.

From what you've said, the DN may have been made legitimately. Even if the DN was sent to an address you were no longer at, that is not the bank's fault.

The only saving point may be if the default balance included any bank charges which you can try and recover. If so the DN will be inaccurate.

To get sight of the DN and bank statements, which you'll need to reclaim the bank charges, send the bank a SAR with the £10 fee.

Read Article #2 from here - The Consumer Forums - Bank charges templates (consumer)

Also, read this - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/data-protection-default-issues/149449-put-your-credit-reference.html#post1581179

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)