You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

Jenny54321

Have I been ripped off on this MOT?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3998 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hey guys,

I'd be grateful for any help you can offer.

I took my car for an MOT this morning. It failed but the fault was identical to a fault their sister garage had failed it on 2 years ago. My dad took the car then and paid them the £190 for the repair but I got the impression he felt ripped off even back then. He never went back to that chain of garages again.

This is the fault. (The wording on the MOT failure sheet is identical to 2 years ago when £190 was paid to repair it.)

Nearside (and offside) Macpherson strut has excessive movement at the upper attachment.

Since the repair 2 years ago the car has done 900 (no that's not a typo) miles and that's over normal road, no speed bumps.

I've owned cars for years and never had this fault before let alone twice in 2 years on a car that I don't use much so I don't know what to think. Can I get this car tested somewhere else or is the fault already recorded on the national database?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jen

You always go to another garage and ask them to check this strut out, doesnt have to be another mot check, just a quick look and opinion and see what there say, if there say its fine, just get them to do the MOT then

If you should decide to have it replaced, discretely mark each of the parts so you can see if they have been changed

what type of car is it?

i am at the moment training to be an mot tester. firstly what car is it as certain cars have an amount of play in theses components by design and they must be tested with the weight on them, if you are unhappy you can ask the test staion for an appeal form though proving negligence is difficult without the [faulty components] the best course of action would have been to appeal before having the work done then a VOSA rep would check the car and if he disagreed he would warn the testing station and he would test your car.

get it checked at another test centre. If you thought you were ripped off last time, why go back to the sister garage anyway?

Its not Arn*ld Cl*rk* by any chance?

go to a local council test centre, look in yellow pages for location or google, they do straight tests but no repairs!