You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Hi,  I'm new here, and hoping that this is the right place to post this.   I applied for pip and was awarded standard mobility (10 points).  I did an M.R. but got the same result. They acknowledge that I can't leave my house without having someone with me. They accept that I'm not completely housebound as I go out to appointments, which are not a regular occurrence, they also said that they can't award me enhanced because I'm not out most days.  Is this correct?  Surely it shouldn't matter how often I go out? 
    • The Legal Ombudsman has a wider remit than the SRA, and can always refer matters on to the SRA where they find a breach of the SRA's code.   I'd suggest writing to the solicitors, highlighting these issues, asking them to refund the money. If they don't then complain to the LO.
    • Good morning all,   I have an update for you all, shortly after my first hearing i was told i would need to have a rehearing with another company, Obviously i agreed but after the initial grievance hearing the person then asked me to enter into a private conversation, I have received the settlement offer and are disgusted as its not even half of my monthly  salary, I'm not sure what to do at this stage as i dont have the funds to finance a solicitor,so any advice would be appreciated.  
    • Sorry, but what does this mean?   Who are ARC? It would be helpful if you could be a little bit more clear about what happened. I don't understand why you are not simply proceeding against Amazon – because it is clearly their responsibility as it was their driver or courier company
    • I understand that you were involved in a contentious divorce in respect of which there was a bill for court costs – £850. You decided to challenge the costs in court and you lost and an order was made against you. We decided to appeal the order but before the appeal was heard, the solicitors made you a without prejudice offer of a 50-50 split – £425. You agree to this and you signed the document to that effect which you returned to the solicitors. Despite that the solicitors are now trying to impose the original £850 order. Is that the correct order of events? "Without prejudice" is certainly something that doesn't seem to be very well understood, including by solicitors. "Without prejudice" can protect an offer from being disclosed to the court where the offer has been refused so that it is not binding on anyone. However, without prejudice cannot be used to hide everything from the court – including wrongdoings, unethical behaviour et cetera. It seems to me that once you sign the agreement you effectively had a contract. I'd like to know a little bit more about the agreement that you signed but presumably it was intended to bring a halt to any further proceedings. I don't think there is any difficulty about disclosing a contract to the court in the circumstances. It is only the offer which was made without prejudice. Once the agreement was accepted and signed then the document acquired a wholly different character. It was no longer an offer open to be accepted or refused. It was a legally binding contract which imposed obligations upon both sides. In my view the solicitors have acted in a highly unethical way and I would begin by making a complaint to the SRA. I wonder whether the solicitors proposed the 50-50 split to you without consulting with their client and when they then contacted their client and told her what had been agreed, she refused to accept it and on that basis the solicitors recognised that they had made an error but rather than accept their responsibility and footing the £425 out of their own pockets, they preferred to get it from you. Of course this is just speculation but it seems to me to be quite a possible scenario. I'd like to see the agreement post up here please – that my sense is that you should complain to the SRA and you should tell the solicitors that this is what you're doing.
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
WebMaster

GAP insurance

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3167 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All (think this is the first time I've ever set foot in this forum)

This post is on behalf of a friend, who bought a car last year (before I met her). She's not very good with money etc, and ended up being sold GAP insurance along with her car. The dealership 'helpfully' arranged a loan with Barlcays Finance for her too, and she's paying quite a lot in interest.

With the GAP insurance (provided by AA Warranty), she had agreed to 5 years of cover, and has effectively paid up front, since this had been added to her loan.

We'd like to cancel the GAP (for a start, if she really wanted it, she could get it cheaper by buying directly from the AA). Given that the dealership will almost certainly have made commission on the selling of it, there may be grounds to claim it has been missold; but at the moment I'm simply asking for the insurance to be cancelled, and the remaining 4 years to be refunded.

Naturally the dealership say we can't do this, and it's up to the AA anyway. The AA are trying to fob me off, saying that if I believe the policy was missold, I should speak to the dealership.

The AA have refused to either admit or deny the existance of any secret commission, and I've pointed out to them that - since there are grounds for considerting legal action - I would be entitled to use CPR 31.16 to get this information. I've also made it clear than I'll escalate the matter to the FOS if necessary.

They're still refusing to budge. Any thoughts please? Who should I be going after? The AA or the dealership?

Guest Old_andrew2018

Sounds reasonable however I'm no expert so my reply will at least BUMP your thread.

I've been through the internal complains procedure of both the AA and the dealership. Both have stated that they do not believe the GAP insurance was mis-sold, and are refusing to refund it. I've now submitted a complaint to the FOS re the AA.

One thing which slightly surprised me ... in the dealership's final response, they made reference to one of the letters which I had sent to the AA. I suppose it would have been naive to think that they weren't in communication with each other discussing me, but for them to state this was a surprise. Are the AA allowed to pass on my letter to the dealership without my consent?

I suppose I should now make an FOS complaint about the dealership, but to be honest I'm feeling a bit deflated. I'm not sure if I even have a case to argue, and to some extent I was hoping that a formal complaint (with the threat of a complaint to the FOS) might be enough.

If the FOS don't decide favourably, I don't feel that I'm on strong enough legal ground to take any form of court action (for a start, it seems that cases such as this are judged very much on their own merit, rather than their being hard and fast rules)

Any thoughts on how to procede would be much appreciated

Ok

First Thing

Demand From The Dealership A

Statement Of Price Ref The Selling Of This Gap Nsurance

Its Taken Two Years To Finally Nail Welcome Finance With There Undisclosed Commission Payments, Its The Holy Grail As It Would Invalidate The Finance Agreement.

SO IT WILL BE A SLOG WITH THIS LOT

Wilson V Hurstanger

The Other Way Is A Disclosure Order Through The Court

You Might Request The Fos To Get The Underwriting Sheet Which Will Show Any Commission Payments

Does it automatically invalidate the the agreement? From what I've read, the presence of a secret commission is only an issue if you have paid the dealership a fee to arrange the insurance. In these situations, they are acting as a broker and have a duty to look after your best interests - which would create a conflict if they were taking commission.

The docs from the dealership state 'we do not charge a fee for arranging this service' ('this' referring to the host of extra packages they sell). Perhaps this is to protect them being seen as a broker in the eyes of the law.

However, they did charge 800 pounds for 'doc and interest fees', which could just be a means of making a bit of money. I asked them to provide a breakdown of this, which they didn't do

I'll scan a few docs in tomorrow ....

Yes It Does Invalidate As It Calls The Whole Agreement Into Question

Any Commission Payments Passed On To A Third Party Has To Be Disclosed On The Agreement

Why Would You Pay A Dealership To Arange Insurance

The Dealership Makes There Money On Commission On Selling The Insurance

The Commission Payments Are Normally Worked Underhand Back Into The Agreement So The Customer Gets Shafted Twice

I don't believe this will be easy - it is just as easy for them to claim it was 'mis-bought'. You've not stated why you no longer want it. Sure, it may cost more from that particular supplier, but there is free choice. Tesco are not going to refund me because I can buy the same items in Asda for less.

The main thrust of the argument (to me) appears that someone has paid more money (in hindsight) for the supply of a service. There is no 'fit for purpose' argument, and the policy, as it was fully paid for in advance, is a done deal, and expecting a refund because of a later change of mind - you would need to be guided by the terms of the policy, what does IT state you can do where the policy is cancelled? It may be that the policy is - after 28 days - deemed to be formally in force, and in the case of cancellation, NO REFUND is due. If so, then you don't shout wanting cancellation, as if the policy is cancelled with no prospect of any rebate is the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot. Far better to learn and move on, with the cover still in force.

As for who pays how much to whom and for why - all this depends on when the agreement was reached, but not a foundation stone for trying to seek cancellation with a refund. The commission is paid for the purposes of 'selling' the service or product to the customer. They did this - so stating a change of mind is not enough for the fee to be rebated, there would have to be offering incorrect or misleading advice - and cost does not enter into this.

Can You Post Up The T&c Of This Gap Policy

Ive Seen Some That/ Well Most Of Them Are Not Worth The Paper Written On

Perhaps - but like most things, that's not an excuse for a refund either!

most of the ones ive seen have a limit you can claim of a thousend pounds

that wont cover labour let alone parts and some of these agreements cost 500 quid

And the point is? If it is why pay £1000 for a policy that can only pay out £1000. I agree. However isn;t that kind of question better put to the customer? Why on earth would they sign up to such a carp policy? It's a fact of life we have to take account for the actions we take - not seek to pass the blame on to someone, anyone once there has been time to reflect.

Here we go. Signatures etc were blanked out by me, highlighting was added by them:

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/stoneacre.jpg

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/stoneacre 001.jpg

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/stoneacre 002.jpg

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/stoneacre 003.jpg

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/stoneacre 004.jpg

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/stoneacre 005.jpg

buzby: I appreciate your arguement. Certainly she should have read through the paperwork thoroughly and not signed if she wasn't 100% happy. But the other side of the coin is that she's very inexperienced in these matters, and was easily talked into it by the salesmen. No doubt they saw her coming, and were more than happy to take her money. Don't forget that although the regulars on here might be pretty savvy about these things, a good chunk of the public are very intimidated by finance agreements and the like.

Regarding your Tesco/Asda arguement, if you bought a TV from Tesco for 500 pounds, then found that the same model was on sale in Asda for 250, simply because Tesco had added on 250 pounds for a bit of extra problem, you wouldn't be happy. You may not legally be entitled to a refund, but it wouldn't stop you from kicking up a fuss and complaining to Tesco

most of the ones ive seen have a limit you can claim of a thousend pounds

that wont cover labour let alone parts and some of these agreements cost 500 quid

As far as I understand it, GAP insurance only covers the shortfall if your car is an insurance write off. So say I have £10,000 left to pay on my agreement and write the car off but the insurance only pays out £5,000, The GAP insurance would cover the remaining £5,000.

As far as I understand it, GAP insurance only covers the shortfall if your car is an insurance write off. So say I have £10,000 left to pay on my agreement and write the car off but the insurance only pays out £5,000, The GAP insurance would cover the remaining £5,000.

yep

you are correct

must be tired

i was thinking of that other con

mechanical breakdown insurance

and a point to remember

gap only covers the car, not those mick mouse insurance on the agreement

Ohh - thatsent a shiver! Mechanical Breakdown. I got suckered with this back in 1972. They really only pay for the most limited issues, and a dealer friend said he'd only known of 1 case out of 100s of claims, that they paid up!

If GAP specifically covers the disparity between the actual amount owed and the insurance write-off value, I have to admit in a good number of cases this would be quite useful for the initial part of the loan, especially where the amount owed is far in excess of what the car is actually worth. For this reason I don;t see this as being mis-sold OR mis-bought (at least until the book value = the outstanding loan or is greater).

As to the 'inexperience' of the purchaser. Whilst I have sympathy, we all need guidance with big purchases, so it could be said the purchaser was reckless in trying to do it all herself. GAP meets a need and desn;t scream [problem] in the same way Mechanical Breakdown cover works, but these are warranties, the GAP scheme is insurance/risk based.

Finally had a preliminary decision from the FOS.

Last year an adjudicator ruled in our favour (partially) and stated that the AA should honour our request to cancel the GAP insurance, and refund the remaining amount. The adjudicator didn't feel that the insurance had been mis-sold, but felt it unfair that the AA should refuse to allow a partial refund - my friend had paid for 5 years insurance up front, and was less than 1 year into it. The AA's arguement that she had missed the 14 day cancellation period was rejected.

Naturally StoneAcre/AA appealed, forcing the complaint to be passed to someone higher up at the FOS. After almost 2 years of waiting, they have reached a decision, which is:

* The ombudsman disagreed with the adjudicator's earlier decision that there was no evidence to say the GAP insurance had been mis-sold.

* The ombudsman agreed with the adjudicator's earlier decision that the non-cancellation provision of the GAP policy was a "highly significant restriction" which should have been highlighted prior to sale.

* Ombudsman found no evidence that this restriction had been brought to my friend's attention.

* Ombudsman decided that on the balance of probabilities the insurance had been mis-sold, and that my friend would not have bought it had she understood the terms (as I had pointed out, the insurance cost over 700 pounds from the dealership - buying it directly would have cost around 100).

* StoneAcre charged 215 pounds for "interest & doc fees"; both the FOS and I had requested StoneAcre to provide details of these 'fees' - they refused.

So, the ombudsman is awarding a refund of the policy (717 pounds), the "interest & doc fees" (215 pounds), 150 pounds in compensation for 'distress and inconvenience', and interest on the first two items.

Am I the first person to have a positive experience with the FOS? (even if it did take 2 years)

Hi All (think this is the first time I've ever set foot in this forum)

This post is on behalf of a friend, who bought a car last year (before I met her). She's not very good with money etc, and ended up being sold GAP insurance along with her car. The dealership 'helpfully' arranged a loan with Barlcays Finance for her too, and she's paying quite a lot in interest.

With the GAP insurance (provided by AA Warranty), she had agreed to 5 years of cover, and has effectively paid up front, since this had been added to her loan.

We'd like to cancel the GAP (for a start, if she really wanted it, she could get it cheaper by buying directly from the AA). Given that the dealership will almost certainly have made commission on the selling of it, there may be grounds to claim it has been missold; but at the moment I'm simply asking for the insurance to be cancelled, and the remaining 4 years to be refunded.

Naturally the dealership say we can't do this, and it's up to the AA anyway. The AA are trying to fob me off, saying that if I believe the policy was missold, I should speak to the dealership.

The AA have refused to either admit or deny the existance of any secret commission, and I've pointed out to them that - since there are grounds for considerting legal action - I would be entitled to use CPR 31.16 to get this information. I've also made it clear than I'll escalate the matter to the FOS if necessary.

They're still refusing to budge. Any thoughts please? Who should I be going after? The AA or the dealership?

Hi I have only just seen your question so i guess you have sorted it out by now.

I work for an insurance company and there are clear rules and regulations that the dealership must have followed. That said you friend will of had to sign to say that she understood all the rules and been given all the relevant documentation.

In this case it is not the AA's fault.Sorry It is the dealership that she bought the policy from. You are totally correct in what you say the AA or their underwriters acting in good faith would supply the dealership with the policy for a set price. The price that the dealership charges will vary I understand that the average is around £395. The difference is the dealerships profit ( less insurance premium tax) .

Ok so legally after 14 days your friend has no redemption on the policy but and it is a big but I would contact the dealership and make the prove that all the paper work is in complete order. Chances are it will not be and in it is not then you will be in a very strong position. They will not want the FSA involved so they should just settle.

Good Luck

Sorry its all a bit late.

Wow good for you! and well done for taking forward too many people just let it lie. Just a shame you had the stress of taking it that far. & No if in doubt the FSA will always air on the side of the customer after all if the dealership had done everything correctly then your freind would have know exactly what they where getting and for how much.

Well done