Holding deposit put down & terms agreed, now agent saying they can't meet terms

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My housemates and I have put down a holding deposit on a property and we agreed with the agent that we would pay more than the asking price in rent in return for getting additional furniture in the property. The additional furniture requirements were all written down and the agent signed the piece of paper (we both have copies). At the time they said the landlady was happy and our offer was accepted.

The agent is now saying the landlady will not get all the furniture we agreed on, only some items. We are paying an extra £1,800 a year above asking price for the rent and we are being told the additional 2 x wardrobe and 2 x chest of drawers we agreed and signed on when we put the holding deposit down will not be put in the house. The agent has said we can pull out if we want.

As our offer was accepted and our deposit paid I was wondering if the agents can legally not fulfil the terms we signed on, and if not, if anyone has a specific reference to the part of the law we could quote to ensure we get the furniture we agreed on? I don't want things to get nasty, I just don't want to be taken advantage of when we are already paying more than the asking price on the condition of this extra furniture, and I'm not 100% sure on my rights.

Any help or pointers would be much, much appreciated. Loads of thanks in advance,

Soph

My suggestion would be to go back to the original asking price, and buy the items of furniture yourselves. I would have thought £1800 would cover this - you can then sell them (or keep them) at the end of your tenancy. Save a lot of bother. Not sure you have any other recourse, except to walk away.

Agent obviously signed in good faith, but LL has now rescinded this agreement. It probably isn't worth the hassle to threaten any kind of legal action.

You mention "deposit paid" - do you mean holding deposit, or the rental deposit?

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Thanks very much Kentish Lass. Sorry, I didn't explain that very clearly - we asked for other items as well (3 x double beds, some other items) but we clearly stated we needed all items of furniture if we were going to pay the extra rent. It is the four items above they are not providing, and I'm not sure if they legally have to if we want to go ahead.

Cheers,

Sophie