Community care grants

frostypug
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5374 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently applied for a community care grant to pay for the repair of our sewerage system called a Bio Disc.

This was fitted into the garden of our isolated cottage 13years ago on a disability grant provided by the local council. Basically it is a mini sewerage system just for our cottage and when the waste matter is processed the water empties into the local river (suitably cleaned) and is tested by the Enviroment agency regularly.

Recently a part (through wear and tear) broke on it and I had to call the local repair people in to replace the part, as they are very expensive the total bill was over £600

The form for Community care grants clearly states one of the qualifying criteria is that (enableing you to stay in your own home) so I sent a covering letter explaining that if we had not had the repair done we would have had to leave our home due to the effluence emptying into the river and the enviroment people would without doubt have said we could not either use the toilet or flush waste water down the sink thus meaning we could not live in it

I then phoned the Social grant office to be told I had been refused as this was not one of the things they pay for.

I am going to appeal as I think the situation fitted there criteria exactly.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreicated before I appeal

Repairs or improvements falls under "excluded expense" with Community Care Grants. Whether or not you satisfy the qualifying conditions of claim, a grant cannot be awarded for an excluded item.

In regard to "enabling you to stay in your own home" - this only applies if the grant would help a person to remain in the community rather than enter institutional or residential accommodation in which the person would receive care, or to help someone establish themself in the community as part of a planned resettlement programme.

What you should be claiming under is "exceptional pressure", however if the item is excluded, you will not be awarded the grant regardless of eligibility to apply.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

frosty i just wrote a letter lastnite to the same people as we wer refused last week aswel,maybe they got no money lol..its worth appealing as it gets looked at again by a different person,apparently we wer not high priority so i wrote a snotty letter last nite...because if your single and pregnant you get one but if its genuine and it would really come in handy towards the costs you dont so dont know why they refused us really anyway we shall see what they say to my letter when i post it today.

if i was you its worth appealing and if refused again then you will know it has been looked at properly

Yes I will appeal but do not hold out much hope I sent a really detailed covering letter and I don't think they even read it.

Seems to me the more scrounging you are the more you get. I have only ever asked for help 3 times and each time been refused, but I know a lot of people that "work the system" and always get it.

Does anyone have a list of things you can apply for and what is "excluded" so I don't waste my time applying next time I need help

Here is a list of excluded items - though it isn't exhaustive:

a need that arises outside the UK;

· education and training needs including clothing and tools;

· school uniform, travel expenses to and from school, and school meals;

· expenses related to court proceedings;

· removal or storage charges if you are compulsorily re-housed;

· domestic help and respite care;

· medical, surgical, optical, aural or dental items or services;

· work-related expenses;

· debts to government departments;

· investments;

· telephone costs and charges;

· costs that local authorities must meet by law;

· fuel costs and standing charges;

· housing costs such as major repairs, rent, mortgage payments or water rates;

· council tax;

· daily living expenses.

If an item is excluded, it's excluded and there's no two ways about it unfortunately no matter how bad the situation is.

As an aside, being single and pregnant is certainly not in itself enough to qualify for a CCG.

Edited by ErikaPNP

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

It would fall under the umbrella of repairs - under housing costs.

Excluded by direction 29 (d).