You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Hi,  I'm new here, and hoping that this is the right place to post this.   I applied for pip and was awarded standard mobility (10 points).  I did an M.R. but got the same result. They acknowledge that I can't leave my house without having someone with me. They accept that I'm not completely housebound as I go out to appointments, which are not a regular occurrence, they also said that they can't award me enhanced because I'm not out most days.  Is this correct?  Surely it shouldn't matter how often I go out? 
    • The Legal Ombudsman has a wider remit than the SRA, and can always refer matters on to the SRA where they find a breach of the SRA's code.   I'd suggest writing to the solicitors, highlighting these issues, asking them to refund the money. If they don't then complain to the LO.
    • Good morning all,   I have an update for you all, shortly after my first hearing i was told i would need to have a rehearing with another company, Obviously i agreed but after the initial grievance hearing the person then asked me to enter into a private conversation, I have received the settlement offer and are disgusted as its not even half of my monthly  salary, I'm not sure what to do at this stage as i dont have the funds to finance a solicitor,so any advice would be appreciated.  
    • Sorry, but what does this mean?   Who are ARC? It would be helpful if you could be a little bit more clear about what happened. I don't understand why you are not simply proceeding against Amazon – because it is clearly their responsibility as it was their driver or courier company
    • I understand that you were involved in a contentious divorce in respect of which there was a bill for court costs – £850. You decided to challenge the costs in court and you lost and an order was made against you. We decided to appeal the order but before the appeal was heard, the solicitors made you a without prejudice offer of a 50-50 split – £425. You agree to this and you signed the document to that effect which you returned to the solicitors. Despite that the solicitors are now trying to impose the original £850 order. Is that the correct order of events? "Without prejudice" is certainly something that doesn't seem to be very well understood, including by solicitors. "Without prejudice" can protect an offer from being disclosed to the court where the offer has been refused so that it is not binding on anyone. However, without prejudice cannot be used to hide everything from the court – including wrongdoings, unethical behaviour et cetera. It seems to me that once you sign the agreement you effectively had a contract. I'd like to know a little bit more about the agreement that you signed but presumably it was intended to bring a halt to any further proceedings. I don't think there is any difficulty about disclosing a contract to the court in the circumstances. It is only the offer which was made without prejudice. Once the agreement was accepted and signed then the document acquired a wholly different character. It was no longer an offer open to be accepted or refused. It was a legally binding contract which imposed obligations upon both sides. In my view the solicitors have acted in a highly unethical way and I would begin by making a complaint to the SRA. I wonder whether the solicitors proposed the 50-50 split to you without consulting with their client and when they then contacted their client and told her what had been agreed, she refused to accept it and on that basis the solicitors recognised that they had made an error but rather than accept their responsibility and footing the £425 out of their own pockets, they preferred to get it from you. Of course this is just speculation but it seems to me to be quite a possible scenario. I'd like to see the agreement post up here please – that my sense is that you should complain to the SRA and you should tell the solicitors that this is what you're doing.
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
Flynn03

Threatened With Debt Collection

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3992 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello all. I am new here but I am desperate for advice. I got a phone call today from a courier company I sent a few parcels with last December. They said that the parcels were oversized and I now owe the £345. If I don't something by Monday they will get the Debt collecters involved. They also said that they have written to me about this a few months ago but I didn't get anything from them through the post.

Surely they can't be serious. This was over 8 months ago. I am really worried what to do about this.

Thanks in advance

Guest wino

Hi Flynn03 and welcome to Cag :)

How did you send the parcels did they collect them from you and invoice or did you pay in advance at their depot?

Hi Flynn

Have you signed any sort of contract with them?

Tosh1

Hi. They are an internet courier firm. I booked and paid for a collection online. The driver arrived the next day and took the parcels. The driver didn't mention anything. I know it was a while ago but i would have remembered if he had make a fuss. They all got delivered without a problem.

Guest wino
Hi Flynn03 and welcome to Cag :)

How did you send the parcels did they collect them from you and invoice or did you pay in advance at their depot?

What I was getting at was how was the original price decided?

I paid before the collection over the internet. You input the size and weight and it calculates it for you. They are now saying that the parcel was bigger than I stated. It may have been. Obviously i can't remember but can they really chase me up 8 months down the line and threaten me with Debt Collection if I don't pay within a few days?

Surely they need to provide you with proof that the parcels were over the weight you stated?

If they do send the debt to a DCA all that you will need to do is inform the DCA that the alledged debt is in dispute with the courier company.

The DCA should then contact the courier company and the nhand the debt back to them.

Edited by SURFBOY
add to.

hello all:-)

Send them a "prove it" letter. It should be interesting to see what they come up with, though I suspect they'll just go away if it looks like you'll put up a fight. I have a feeling that they are just chancers who, struggling with their courier business in the recession, are trying to screw more money out of ex-customers :mad: A call to Trading Standards might be in order here, if they can't come up with any kind of proof.

Guest wino

If you send a letter etc by Royal Mail with incorrect postage on it they won't deliver it so why would the couriers?

Surely they would of sent you an email or rang you to say it would cost more or sent the addressee a card asking for more money before delivery.

As far as you are aware you paid the correct postage and goods were delivered. End of story.

They sais that the parcels get checked at the depot after collection and before delivery. The driver doesn't check them at the collection address. If they were to big i would have thought they would contact me and not deliver them until paid the extra.

Not sure what to do. They are sending me a letter in the next day or so. From what is said above I am suggesting seeing if the letter has any proof of my oversized parcels. If not then I will write back asking for it. I could also say that if this case is esculated to a DCA then, as SURFBOY says, I will inform the DCA that I am currently indispute with the courier company.

Thanks again

There have been lots of scams recently where parcel companies have left cards with a premium rate number and there's actually no parcel. Are you sure this courier company isn't pulling a similar trick?

Hi. An update on the situation above. I asked the courier company to provide proof of the oversized parcels. They sent me the invoices from the company that they use to send the parcels (UPS). Basically I have been charged £45 (£30 from UPS and £15 admin fee) each for 7 different parcels(Total = £315) . When I looking at the UPS invoices they have charged the courier firm £29.37 each parcel. As I have already paid about £15 each when I booked the service I see this a a substantial amount of overcharging.

I have drafted a letter stating these reasons I am not going to pay the amount owed. 1. The overcharging 2. The length of time it took them to bring this to my attention 3. The £15 admin fee per parcel.

Still worried about this. Should I be?

Thanks

Report them to the OFT & trading standards.

Also use www.howtocomplain.com

They have no legal powers to money off you = end of, tell them to get stuffed.

I would write back and state that if the parcels were oversized as claimed then why were they picked up in the first place and why hs it taken 8 months for them to register on the system.

Also have you got their T&C's, if not or they dont have any then the £15 admin charge is a figment of their imagination

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

I have drafted this reply letter to them. Very inexperienced at this sort of this so any comments would be great:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you regarding our recent telephone conversation about the £315 you are requesting from me. This amount is due to alleged oversized parcels sent during November and December 2008.

I have just received the invoices from UPS to yourself and I am disgusted that you are heavily overcharging me for this situation. On average you have been invoiced £29.37 from UPS for each of the 7 parcels concerned. As I have already paid £10.05 for each of these parcels I can have worked out that you are overcharging me by £10.68 each parcel. Making the total overcharge £74.76.

In addition to this I feel you £15 “admin fee” is also excessive as I am sure this total claim for 7 invoices is being dealt with in one case and not 7 separate cases.

I have been given some legal advice on this situation and due to:

• The size of overcharging
  • The extortionate admin fee
  • The length of time you took to bring this matter to my attention

I am unprepared to pay the amount owed and will cooperate with any coarse of action you take next.

When we spoke on the phone you threatened me with the use of a debt collection agency. I have also taken legal advice on this subject and if this was to happen I will instruct the DCA and I am in dispute with yourself over any amount owned. By law the DCA must then send the claim back to yourself for resolution.

Please note that I am also away on holiday between the 8th and 22nd August so there will be a delay to my replies to any correspondence sent.

Dear Sir/Madam

I write to you regarding our recent telephone conversation about the £315 you are demanding from me.

This amount is due to alleged oversized parcels sent during November and December 2008.

I have received the invoices from UPS to yourself & i am concerned that you are overcharging me for this situation.

You have been invoiced £29.37 from UPS for each of the 7 parcels concerned.

I have paid £10.05 for each of these parcels & have worked out that you are overcharging me by £10.68 each parcel, thus making the total overcharge £74.76.

In addition to this, the £15 “admin fee” is also excessive as the total claim for 7 invoices is being dealt with in one case and not 7 separate cases.

I have saught legal advice on this situation & due to:

The size of overcharging

• The extortionate admin fee
  • The length of time you took to bring this matter to my attention

You have threatened me with the use of a debt collection agency.

I have taken legal advice on this subject & will not hesitate to report your company to the OFT,trading standards & any other such authority at my discretion.

I look forward to hearing from you to inform me that the matter is now closed.

Thank you

Try that ;)

I have drafted this reply letter to them. Very inexperienced at this sort of this so any comments would be great:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing in response to our recent telephone conversation about the alledged £315 you are requesting from me, in relation to alleged oversized parcels that were arranged to be couriered by your company during November and December 2008.

I have just received the invoices from UPS to yourself (Why were UPS involved if the contract was between myself and your company?) and I was dismayed to notice that you have applied what can only be described as penalty charges on to the excess charges applied by UPS. In resepct of this I require that you submit to me by return your Terms and Conditions that outline these charges.

Also note: When we spoke on the phone you threatened me with the use of a debt collection agency. May I point out that while this alledged debt is in dispute any attempts by you to pass my details onto a third party will result in me seeking legal advice, to seek redress for misuse of my personal data without my consent

Take Note: from now on all correspondence between myself and any representative of your comnpany wil be via written communications only, and any attempt to contact me by phone will be treated as harrassment

I also require by return your company official complaints procedure as I deem your conduct in this matter to have been unacceptable, in that:

a. If the parcels were deemed to be larger than stated why were they collected in the first place.

b. Why was this not brought to my attention at the time of the coolection and subsequent passing of these parcels to an outside firm.

c. Your threats to obtain this alledge amount by use of a debt collection agency

here ya go

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Thanks ever so my for the replies. I will amend my letter and get it sent off.

Hello again. Another development. Sent of the letter recorded delivery yesterday afternoon. However this morning I received a letter from a DCA (Thomas Higgins Partnership) asking me to pay the full amount. The main paragraph in the letter said:

"We must advise you that unless payment is received in settlement of this account within 7 days from the date of this letter proceedings will be commenced for the principle sum interest and court costs without further notice to you"

I have tried to call them but it just says "all operators are busy. Please call later".

Any advise on my next move would be great.

Thanks

Does is really say "will", or does it say "may"?

Don't ever call these people whatever you do. As the letters appear to have crossed in the post, I would send these new muppets a copy of the letter, and tell them that it is in dispute. It is unlawful for them to try and enforce a debt that is in dispute.

Hi. It says "will".

Just spoken to them....oops...Told them that I was in dispute for this payment.

I will post them a copy of the letter I sent yesterday. Should I get in touch with the courier firm again?

Nope, you have put the debt into dispute with the letter that you've sent, now you just sit back and wait to see what they reply.

Ok Thanks. Should I send a copy of the letter to the DCA though.

post the letter up and dont call them ever, unless you can record the call

also reply with this account is in dispute with the Originator and you will not deal with anyone else until the dispute is resolved

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------