Bank charges from benefits

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4133 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I want to help a very dear friend claim her charges back from her bank,the total at the moment stands at £89 in charges.

I have printed off the hardship letter template and the income and expenditure spreadsheet.

Having not done this before i could do with a little advice before i embark on this mission.I don't want to get anything wrong.

The charges have been taken from her child benefit,but she is also on JSA,after her and her husband lost their jobs earlier this year.

It's alot of money for them to lose under the circumstances.

Edited by bsj

I've moved you to the hardship forum, you should get some more help here.

Always happy to help where I can!

:lol:

Beware of legal advice given on a private forum - do you REALLY know who is posting? Are they REALLY accountable for their posts? What if you follow their advice and get something wrong?

It was Winston Churchill who said; "Democracy is the worst way to run a country except for all the others"

Advice and comments posted by car2403 are offered purely without prejudice. They reflect only my personal opinion and do not represent the opinion of this forum or it's management. You should always seek legal advice from a qualified legal advisor. As a member of the site team, I disable reputation - reputation points mean nothing, please check my posting credentials yourself and make an informed decision. You shouldn't PM me and await a reply - I may be too late with a response. No replies will be given in Private Messages - just as with getting advice from the forum, getting advice via Private Messages is dangerous. CAG is about sharing successes so others can follow your example, this is primarily why I'm here, so please don't be offended if I don't offer replies in PM that doesn't comply with this. Help CAG to help others by keeping your thread up to date.

USEFUL LINKS; New User Guide to CAG | Can't find what you're looking for? | Intro to Consumer Credit Litigation | Is My Agreement Enforceable | Default (Surleybonds) Template Letter | Defaults - background, removal methods, challenges and taking a claim to Court | Digital Signature Guide | Overdrafts and the CCA

I want to help a very dear friend claim her charges back from her bank,the total at the moment stands at £89 in charges.

I have printed off the hardship letter template and the income and expenditure spreadsheet.

Having not done this before i could do with a little advice before i embark on this mission.I don't want to get anything wrong.

The charges have been taken from her child benefit,but she is also on JSA,after her and her husband lost their jobs earlier this year.

It's alot of money for them to lose under the circumstances.

If you come back I can advise. Please come back and tell us which bank

• Haha 1

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I've moved you to the hardship forum, you should get some more help here.

Thank you,i did'nt realise i posted in the wrong forum:-?

Thank you,i did'nt realise i posted in the wrong forum:-?

NP - the hardship forum is well hidden ;)

Always happy to help where I can!

:lol:

Beware of legal advice given on a private forum - do you REALLY know who is posting? Are they REALLY accountable for their posts? What if you follow their advice and get something wrong?

It was Winston Churchill who said; "Democracy is the worst way to run a country except for all the others"

Advice and comments posted by car2403 are offered purely without prejudice. They reflect only my personal opinion and do not represent the opinion of this forum or it's management. You should always seek legal advice from a qualified legal advisor. As a member of the site team, I disable reputation - reputation points mean nothing, please check my posting credentials yourself and make an informed decision. You shouldn't PM me and await a reply - I may be too late with a response. No replies will be given in Private Messages - just as with getting advice from the forum, getting advice via Private Messages is dangerous. CAG is about sharing successes so others can follow your example, this is primarily why I'm here, so please don't be offended if I don't offer replies in PM that doesn't comply with this. Help CAG to help others by keeping your thread up to date.

USEFUL LINKS; New User Guide to CAG | Can't find what you're looking for? | Intro to Consumer Credit Litigation | Is My Agreement Enforceable | Default (Surleybonds) Template Letter | Defaults - background, removal methods, challenges and taking a claim to Court | Digital Signature Guide | Overdrafts and the CCA

If you come back I can advise. Please come back and tell us which bank

Hi yourbank,it's the abby national,they have an awful attitude in the bank.

I went in with my friend to speak to them,i took a copy of the right of appropriation with us,they just did'nt care that were actually taking money that would feed her child.

We did go to the CAB and they informed the bank should not be taking these charges.

I would be very grateful for any help.

I have given her the spreadsheet for income and expenditure to fill in,while i waited for some advice here,she also has the template letter so it's ready to go.

I just don't want to make a mistake any get anything wrong on her behalf.

NP - the hardship forum is well hidden ;)

I'll look harder next time,love your avitar,i feel like that most day's:)

Hi yourbank,it's the abby national,they have an awful attitude in the bank.

I went in with my friend to speak to them,i took a copy of the right of appropriation with us,they just did'nt care that were actually taking money that would feed her child.

We did go to the CAB and they informed the bank should not be taking these charges.

I would be very grateful for any help.

I have given her the spreadsheet for income and expenditure to fill in,while i waited for some advice here,she also has the template letter so it's ready to go.

I just don't want to make a mistake any get anything wrong on her behalf.

Ok firstly we need to take a step back first but you are very prepared, which is good.

Has the account been opened since 2001?

Are these the first charges you have incurred on the account?

The problem I have is that if the charges are merely £89 then it isn't a financial hardship claim to be honest.

However the bank should refuse to allow you to take some of the benefit from the amount even if the account was overdrawn because of the "treating customers fairly" which the FSA has instilled into the banks. In fact, I have it on good authority that the FOS would not look too kindly at the fact that they effectively said, you cannot have even 1p of the money.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Ok firstly we need to take a step back first but you are very prepared, which is good.

Has the account been opened since 2001?

Are these the first charges you have incurred on the account?

The problem I have is that if the charges are merely £89 then it isn't a financial hardship claim to be honest.

However the bank should refuse to allow you to take some of the benefit from the amount even if the account was overdrawn because of the "treating customers fairly" which the FSA has instilled into the banks. In fact, I have it on good authority that the FOS would not look too kindly at the fact that they effectively said, you cannot have even 1p of the money.

Thank you,it's the reason i came to ask for help,i don't want to run before i can walk.

The account was opened pre 2001.

Charges were incurred on the account for an returned DD in January.

The bank did send a letter telling her they would waive the charge as it was her first.

The second charge was the same circumstance but because they waived the charge in Jan they were not prepared to do waive this one.

She has stopped using the account and has opened a post office account to have her benefits paid.

There is no authorised overdraft on the account.

Doe's it have to be above a certain amount to be able to claim the monies back?.

Thank you,it's the reason i came to ask for help,i don't want to run before i can walk.

The account was opened pre 2001.

Charges were incurred on the account for an returned DD in January.

The bank did send a letter telling her they would waive the charge as it was her first.

The second charge was the same circumstance but because they waived the charge in Jan they were not prepared to do waive this one.

She has stopped using the account and has opened a post office account to have her benefits paid.

There is no authorised overdraft on the account.

Doe's it have to be above a certain amount to be able to claim the monies back?.

She can claim bank charges at any time but the case is not a financial hardship case since even by a definition within the FSA Waiver Annex 2 it states that £500.00 over a 12 month period could be indicative of financial hardship. From post 1 it isn't but if she gets the first letter in then her claim is acknowledged and will be settled on the conclusion of the OFT test case.

She can claim bank charges at any time but the case is not a financial hardship case since even by a definition within the FSA Waiver Annex 2 it states that £500.00 over a 12 month period could be indicative of financial hardship. From post 1 it isn't but if she gets the first letter in then her claim is acknowledged and will be settled on the conclusion of the OFT test case.

Thank you,Well i guess we'll put in the claim for the charges and at least she'll be in the queue so to speak.

The outcome of the bank charge case won't be known untill october,is that correct?

The above info is very interesting i'm grateful to you for providing it.

Something else i learnt today,and we all know what they say about a little knowledge;).

Thank you,Well i guess we'll put in the claim for the charges and at least she'll be in the queue so to speak.

The outcome of the bank charge case won't be known untill october,is that correct?

The above info is very interesting i'm grateful to you for providing it.

Something else i learnt today,and we all know what they say about a little knowledge;).

The current part of the law case is about whether the charges can be assessed for fairness and not if the charges terms themselves are fair so we are nearly 50% through.