Personal Finance: Can you go to prison over debt?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5327 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a trawl through some of those yesterday, and nowhere could I find that MT had suggested the reintroduction of debtor's prisons:???:

Getting confused now.

Are they bringing back debtors prisons.

Is Maggie on her way back.

Have we all got to cook breakfast for millionairs, then clean there teeth.

Do I need to worry about catering to a Royals whims.

Will there still be honey for tea?

Bear in mind though, Imprisonment for failing to attend oral examination is very rare, and it's NOT for the debt, it's imprisonment for contempt of Court.A little known fact is that Margaret Thatcher (may she rot in wherever she's going) wanted to bring debtors' prisons back

Getting confused now.

Are they bringing back debtors prisons.

Is Maggie on her way back.

Have we all got to cook breakfast for millionairs, then clean there teeth.

Do I need to worry about catering to a Royals whims.

Will there still be honey for tea?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Vint, rameses posted earlier that Maggie wanted to bring debtors prisons back.. I have been trying to find a report on this.:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Vint, rameses posted earlier that Maggie wanted to bring debtors prisons back.. I have been trying to find a report on this.:)

i am glad its not just me! CitB! :)

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think what was meant was in regards to the Poll Tax, or Community Charge as it was also known. Pay up or end up in prison.

It was said that she was going back to the old days of debtors prisons when the protests happened and people were convicted for not coughing up when they were disputing it.

Edited by Crapstone
I could say too young to remember but that would be a lie

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think what was meant was in regards to the Poll Tax, or Community Charge as it was also known. Pay up or end up in prison.

It was said that she was going back to the old days of debtors prisons when the protests happened and people were convicted for not coughing up when they were disputing it.

Aha, I see.. but then any form of tax be it local or government has always carried a hefty fine or prison sentence if not paid. Not just in the MT era.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D