improving my credit file

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Don't mean to rain on the parade, and I may be well wrong with this, but don't the records get destroyed six years AFTER the final repayment has been made and the debt cleared?

Hopefully someone more in the know will confirm or deny this....just a thought.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm - now there's a job I never thought of trying - selling bulk shredders to the banks... Must be a hell of a market.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Don't mean to rain on the parade, and I may be well wrong with this, but don't the records get destroyed six years AFTER the final repayment has been made and the debt cleared?

Hopefully someone more in the know will confirm or deny this....just a thought.

Hi erikapnp

There is legislation in the finance act and anti-money laundering regulations that require certain documentation eg, credit agreements/applications etc to be kept for 6 years after the final accounting period for credit card, loan or whatever. You will find however, reading around the forums, that most financial institutions don't bother with the storage of original documents, copying/micro-fisching is the preferred method for document retention as it is considered more cost effective than paper storage using files etc like they did before computers took over the world.

So in a nutshell you are right with what you say but in reality it rarely happens.

Regards

Santos

Springfield

The appropriate legislation is to do with money-laundering.

Most banks do in fact keep the documents, however the quantity of them is so vast that the logistics of actually retrieving any one of them makes it prohibitive to do so. I know of one High St bank who use a very large aircraft hangar which is substantially full. Imagine looking for a document which is supposed to be in a box in a stack (about 20' high) 47 rows back...

It is many years since documents were photographed onto microfiche. Since the early nineties nearly all financial institutions have scanned documents to (mainly) tif files. There have been many problems emerging over the years, not least the quality of the original scan.

Another common problem is indexing, where the image file is matched to a specific account number so the image can be retrieved. In some cases this was done badly so the correct image is not retrievable.

From scenarios posted here you can deduce that there are often problems with the backs of forms (sometimes they were never scanned because they never varied), and with verifiable procedures.

Properly done the system can work very well. Most implementations weren't done properly.

(I once worked on a database of more than seven million records - with corresponding image files - for a small and long-since taken over building society. The error rate on the indexing was pretty appalling.)

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

• 8 months later...

This must have happened before!

I asked for my CCA and the creditor was unable to supply the documents, the account got defaulted in 2005 and is on my credit record along with the balance and my payment history.

Due to the lack of the CCA I’m no longer making payments. But the account still appears on my credit file. When will this account disappear? 6 years from the default (2011) or 6 years from my last payment? Or will the default be removed and the account jus sit there for ever!

The creditor has given up chasing payments, but has refused to give me a zero balance :(

I'll be watching out for that.... i have printed out my CRA every six months for that very reason.

If that happened all i would do is write to the CRA's and say look it the same debt and the defualt has run out, look at this photo copy. then they would have to remove it?

I have 3 some defaults on my credit report, which comes off in 2011. I know until the defaults go I’m going to get a pretty low score.

1 I have a credit card, is best to clear the amount in full or pay just more the minimum payment but always keep a blanbe on it

2 I have a contact phone that reports to me CCR, I have always paid on time. how good is this for my credit score. I’m think of getting rid of it and going on pay as you go as it’s cheaper . but the fact someone being nice about me on my credit files make me think I should keep it on.

3. how bad is an account reporting “ in agreement” for you credit score??? After all those defaults come off, there will be some accounts still reporting this. This must show I’ve been in trouble in the past? How bad is this?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If you're struggling to cope emotionally, the Samaritans can help: call on 08457 90 90 90. Don't think "it's money issues so I can't call", they're fully geared up to help.

Merry Christmass to all you CAG-ers

your not alone!

Edited by master woody

That's good advice Master Woody. I have been close to suicide because of debt but since I have found CAG I am more able to face my problems head on; and it works!

I'm sure creditors would love to know we are seriously ill mentally because of debt because it makes us more suseptible to paying more money. The B*******!

I spent about an hour experiencing panic attacks and suicidal thoughts after I received the threat of Stat Demand from Connaught Collections.

Then I did an internet search for help... today I received the date for my next tussle with Howard Cohen, and put it to one side as non urgent.

Thank you Cag!

Thanks MW. Great of you to think of others so kindly.

Never quite being there myself - too bloody-minded - but I do know the feelings that take you there.

To anyone tuning in, either post on CAG or get some help. DCAs can be bast*rds at Christmas - see my thread here. Know your enemy and how they work. CAG will help you. That is a copper-bottomed promise.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/238375-beware-sneaky-dca-tactics.html

Well done mate - let's keep this bumped all the way through to February.

Great advice for anyone suffering at the hands of these devious Ba****ds. Who use Christmas and worthless threats as a lever to try and scare anyone who has'nt learnt to deal with the cretins.

Being 4 years into this game now I enjoy the game and have,nt lost yet. But I can also remember the stress and worry at the beginning.

Anyone who is suffering please take MW's advice and give them a ring remember they are there to help not to judge.