British Telecom / Moorcroft £246 'admin fee'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning,

My ex-partner, more specifically her sons ran up my telephone bill to £1000 before I had to have the old bill remove them. I was paying BT back but the majority of monies was going to council tax arrears. BT passed the debt to Moorcroft in January. I continued paying Moorcroft until it became apparent that my complaints about a £263.46 'admin fee' which had immediately been added to the account were being ignored.

I have written to British Telecom and the meat of their response was;

"The Debt Collection Agency (DCA) admin charge is only applicable to those customers who. despite numerous reminders, do not pay their telephone bills and are then passed to an external debt collection agency to pursue. The administration cost is not a charge in respect of BT supplying a service, but is to compensate BT for the costs incurred as a result of referring the account to a Debt Collection Agency.

The pertcentages applied will represent the lowest DCA commission rates in place for these debt types. It was felt appropriate for BT to make a positive margin for these charges and so the design ensures the revenue generated does not exceed the total cost of collection"

I have sent Moorcroft an SAR request for a breakdown of fees, and have written to British Telecom again as they did not clarify whether they have sold the debt to Moorcroft or Moorcroft are acting as their agent.

Any ideas? CH

Naughty Moorcroft. They should not be adding fees to te account. It is clear in the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidelines below that they are not allowed to do this.

2.9 Charges should not be levied unfairly.

2.10 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

a. claiming collection costs from a debtor in the absence of express contractual or other legal provision

b. misleading debtors into believing they are legally liable to pay collection charges when this is not the case, for example, when there is no contractual provision

c. not giving an indication in credit agreements of the amount of any charges payable on default

d. applying unreasonable charges, for example, charges not based on actual and necessary costs

e. applying charges which are disproportionate to the main debt.

I would certainly be complaining to the OFT, Trading Standards and your MP.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

I have written to British Telecom and the meat of their response was;

"The Debt Collection Agency (DCA) admin charge is only applicable to those customers who. despite numerous reminders, do not pay their telephone bills and are then passed to an external debt collection agency to pursue. The administration cost is not a charge in respect of BT supplying a service, but is to compensate BT for the costs incurred as a result of referring the account to a Debt Collection Agency.

The pertcentages applied will represent the lowest DCA commission rates in place for these debt types. It was felt appropriate for BT to make a positive margin for these charges and so the design ensures the revenue generated does not exceed the total cost of collection"

So it looks like it is BT who is being naughty & not Moorcroft (or Moorcroft added it at BTs request)

thank you people...I have sent Moorcroft an SAR and will wait for that to appear....it was nice of BT to drop themselves in it...I have written to Moorcroft on 5 occasions asking them to explain their fees..all I get is evasion...I have sent BT copies of the correspondence I have had with Moorcroft so will be interesting to see their reply CH

section 1.9 of the oft guidelines on debt recovery.

At least i think it is that it is 1.9.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• 1 month later...

The latest.....I sent Moorcroft a Subject Access Request which they failed to respond to, to explain their fees, they failed to respond to the reminder, but wrote back to be saying that they are no longer handling the account..well there is a surprise. I have responded to BT/Moorcroft by saying that I will claim back my extra costs in court. I have asked BT to explain in writing why they have supported Moorcroft's action, twice, they have not responded, but keep ringing me.