Barclays closed account without warning

fro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5383 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Not a big issue compared to what people have posted on here, but I need some advice.

On Friday my wife was trying to transfer some money to our joint account from an HSBC account and it said the beneficiary account is no longer available.

I didn't think much of it - on saturday I logged into my online banking and the account is no longer showing - I know barclays did some work on Internet banking over the weekend so I thought someone probably made a blunder and it will soon be fixed with a phone call.

The phone call produced nothing but a confused adviser who said there is no reason why it should be closed and nothing stated on the account - I told him i called on tuesday to complain about a bank charge and file a complain as it was not my fault (TalkTalk have since apologised and agreed to pay the bank charge in question)

He said to close an account I would have to have gone in the branch and can't be done over the phone, so he advise me to go to my local branch which I did -

To cut the long story short they couldn't help me either and the adviser said I will call you on Monday just to let you know why atleast.

Today is wednesday and nothing, I have had to pay all my bills manually - and still no letter from Barclays all I got yesterday was a statement.

Can they close our account just like that? and what and how can I get them to sort this quickly.

Saintly thanks for your quick response - No they haven't I am still waiting for the call that was meant to come on Monday - so I am basically in Limbo.

I am thinking of calling them but I shouldn't have to be chasing them to find out what is going on.

They said they closed the a\c because HSBC asked them to - my wife open an account with hsbc some months back and they wanted her to close her other account which she told them was a joint a\c. They made the request to barclays, and we have since told barclays not to action it and hsbc that it can't be closed as its a joint a\c

So it doesn't matter that I am on the account, they just closed it. They are now saying we have to go and open another account.

:evil::mad:

Barclays would only close the account if they had your written authority to do so. Such an authority would only need to be signed by one of you if as i presume there is a standard either to sign mandate. Does your wife remember signing such an authority at HSBC? It seems to me that HSBC were under the impression you wanted to transfer the account to them and then Barclays just responded to their request. I would not be surprised if Barclays were not too helpful after all they have only done as requested and no longer have an account. Why do you want accounts at two different Banks and one in joint names and one in sole names are you not making your life unnecessarily complicated?

Thanks Rhino,

I will have to ask her that when I get home, but I know we got a letter about 4 months ago from barclays and we asked that the request be cancelled.

I have a graduate a\c which I cannot add my wife to -and we just needed another a/c to manage all our out goings, she opened with hsbc for her own reasons.

I will have to try and open another a\c i guess.

Hi Fro,

Something's not right here !!

If Barclays are telling you they've closed the a/c because HSBC told them to, that sounds to me like utter nonsense.

I know we got a letter about 4 months ago from barclays and we asked that the request be cancelled
Can you confirm what request this was.

To close an a/c, B's would have to have instruction from one or possibly both a/c holders.

If the bank decided to close the a/c without your agreement, as Saintly says, they'd have to give you notice first.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)