capital one - should I claim

wacko2k
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently have an issue with CapitalOne, and I'm looking for some advice on whether I should a) complain and b) if so what initial steps I should take

I made a payment into my CapitalOne account via bank trasnfer at the end of April 09. The payment reached my CO account on May 5th, one day late. I was charged a £12 late payment fee, I called and complained and as the payment was only one day late the late payment fee was dropped.

I then made second payment that reached the account on the 1st of June to clear the remaining balance. This left me with a balance of £0.00.

I therefore, wrongly, assumed that the account was clear and I would not need to make any further payments until I used the card again.

However I then recieved a letter from CO outlining a £12 charge for late payment. I checked my account and it appears that on the 8th of June I was charged £1 cash interest. I wasn't aware of this charge so I called up CO and they were only willing to half the charge to £6.

OK, we aren't talking about massive amounts here but the principle just seems wrong. To my knowledge the account was clear, if CO had contacted me to outline the £1 cash interest I would have paid straight away but instead they just slap you with a charge 12 times the amount you owe!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Did you not get a statement from them showing the £1.00 being or becoming due?

Surely you'd have to have a statement in the usual manner if there was an outstanding balance?

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

I cant remember from my specific crap one statements but I know barclaysharks put a paragraph attempting to explain that the balance on the statement isnt the total balance unless paid within x days of the statement as accrued interest will be added to the account after that date and the balance will therefore change.

Seems to me the only real way to pay off a credit card is to overpay and then claim back the difference :-(

They dont make it easy do they!

S.