Jump to content

You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds


You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds



BankFodder BankFodder


BankFodder BankFodder

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • EU deal replicated 'as far as possible' ... aka less than   "The British Government is continuing to work intensively on securing continuity with other countries. We have secured agreements – either signed or agreed in principle - that account for 64% of the UK’s trade with all the countries with which the UK is seeking continuity, should we leave the EU without a deal."   With what I've seen on that page I linked earlier, that would seem to be decidedly unambitious 'trade deals across the world larger than the EU
    • dx100uk - thank you for your advice.  I will send a SAR to Vanquis and really appreciate all the help on here.   I may have read your last sentence in the way that it was not intended but it has came across very judgmental and not helpful.  I have came on this site for some help, not to be judged.  If that was not your intention then I apologise as I realise text can be read in the way it was not intended.  
    • . I'm sorry but this is not correct. There is a very long established rule that you are required to exercise utmost good faith (uberrima fides) when becoming a party to any kind of insurance contract. This means that you have quite a strict duty to accept responsibility for disclosing any information which a reasonable person in your position might understand could materially affect the risk. I can imagine that the interpretation of this rule would not be applied quite so strictly to a very new and young driver – but the more that one has been driving and the more insurance policies one has held, then I think that the stricter  this rule becomes. It is also well established that one can misrepresent something simply by withholding information – by silence. I'm sorry to say that I think that this rule and the value of it is so self-evident that it is scarcely worth discussing. I wouldn't start raising this issue if I were you with insurers or the courts because you will come away with a bloody nose and loss of credibility
    • @unclebulgaria67 your point is particularly valid especially in regards to loss in the event of a claim. Irrespective of 2x SP30’s or not the vehicle is insured for its full market value. The insurers rating changes based on risk against those endorsements, where said risk calculation isn’t made available.    Also I question the validation of 22% in premium. Is that based on today’s risk profiling, or is that applied retrospectively to day 1 and can that be evidenced.    One thing that is very clear, is that to bring about any degree of misrepresentation the insurer has to have evidence that questions were asked in regards to the endorsements.   This was an auto renewal and when I’ve checked the Brokers electronic Copy on “My Policy’ at renewal, there is no section included relative to accidents in the last 5 yrs or Motoring convictions. Everything else relative to me and the named driver is listed. 
    • Here is what exposes Johnson & Co Commission document, makes for sober reading   Wonder if Snake Oil Singham has read and digested it?   https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/com_2020_324_2_communication_from_commission_to_inst_en_0.pdf
  • Our picks

    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3998 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hi there !


I got so many troubles with the landlady who rents the flat where I'm living. Indeed I gave her a deposit when I moved in, in cash exactly the same day she gave me the key and I want to leave at the end of august so I warned her about my moving out and she replied me that she'll give deposit back only via bank transfer on UK bank account ( I'm french and I don't have ). The problem is that she wants to do this transfer 14 days after I left the flat and give her back the key, but I don't trust her because she created a lot of troubles since I'm here and I know she's trying to find a way to keep my money. Moreover I signed a contract that she signed also and it's not written on it that only UK bank account transfer are allowed for deposit returns and that's non negociable. Please help me, I'm french I don't know my rights and I'm really scared that to never see my money again. I would like to meet someone from a kind of consumer association or Tenants protection association. Does someone can tell me a phone number, address or website please? Thank you in advance.





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The LL must put or insure the the deposit with a TDS scheme provider and she must give you details of this within 14 days of you paying the deposit. If she has not done this she liable to pay 3x the deposit amount to you.

Write to her and ask for details of the TDS scheme. The sheme pprtects you in case LL deducts unreasonable from the deposit for repairs etc. and non payment of the deposit back to you. I dont think you can insist on cash; check on draft is quite usual, unless put in the agreement in the first place. First thing to sort out if the deposit is protected.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you live with your landlady?


I believe theres a charge to pay money into a none UK bank account, could you offer to pay that? (I know one of the Tenancy Deposit Schemes Charges about £26).

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone!


Thanks for you answers. Concerning TDS csheme provider details I don't really know if I have it, I've a contract with a paragraph on the deposit written on it. I can show you if you're agree.

I don't live with her, fortunately ! I don't get this story of 26£ of charges, what does that mean ? I 've to pay 26£ cause I'm foreigner ? ( so unfair, I never gave her deposit or rental in euros...). The only problem I've is those 14 days of wait she asked to me. My deposit was expensive and I'll need my money when I'll leave the flat cause I'll move in another flat so I'll have to give another deposit and I'm not multimillionaire. Moreover I'm affraid that she makes opposition to a transfer or a cheque once I'll give her back the key. Is there a kind of association that I can meet?


Thanks again.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, if you are renting a flat and not sharing with the landlady, you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement.


When did you sign the agreement?


How long is the term of the tenancy?


Under the regulations, your deposit should be protected in one of 3 government schemes and you should be notified of the details within 14 days of paying the deposit. It seems you were not notified and I suspect that your deposit has not been protected.


To establish whether it has been, and under which scheme - telephone them. Here are the numbers.


DPS 0870 707 1 707

TDSL 0871 703 0552

TDS 0845 226 7837


They will want details - e.g. the address of the property, your name, maybe the Agent (if there was one) and the Landlord's name, so have them ready. If you find out which scheme, ask for the details of how you go about getting your deposit back. Your landlord cannot simply keep the deposit if it is in a scheme - she has to prove why she should keep it.


If you discover that the deposit was NOT protected, you write to your landlady and tell her that unless your deposit is returned to you, in full on the day you leave, you will sue her for the deposit, + 3 x deposit penalty for non compliance with the Deposit Protection legislation. This is not a difficult procedure, but hopefully it won't come to that as this can sometimes have an amazing effect on landlords and the deposit may suddenly appear!


If you are in any doubt about the above, contact your local CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau) or your nearest branch of Shelter. The adresses of both should be in your local telephone directory. Both of these organisations can advise you and will be very helpful.


Good luck.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't live with her, fortunately ! I don't get this story of 26£ of charges, what does that mean ? I 've to pay 26£ cause I'm foreigner ? ( so unfair, I ever gave her deposit or rental in euros...).


No. Not because your a 'foreigner', but because you want an amoutn of money paying to a none UK bank account. If I (being British) wanted to transfer money to or from a foreign bank account I would alo have to pay. I believe this is pretty standard for every bank in the world. The £26 that DPS charge is a good indication of what your Landladies bank might charge. You shouldnt expect this service for free.


hether or not you paid your deposit in Euros isnt relevant (apart from you might take a hit on the exchange rates).

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...