You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Good morning all,   I have an update for you all, shortly after my first hearing i was told i would need to have a rehearing with another company, Obviously i agreed but after the initial grievance hearing the person then asked me to enter into a private conversation, I have received the settlement offer and are disgusted as its not even half of my monthly  salary, I'm not sure what to do at this stage as i dont have the funds to finance a solicitor,so any advice would be appreciated.  
    • Sorry, but what does this mean?   Who are ARC? It would be helpful if you could be a little bit more clear about what happened. I don't understand why you are not simply proceeding against Amazon – because it is clearly their responsibility as it was their driver or courier company
    • I understand that you were involved in a contentious divorce in respect of which there was a bill for court costs – £850. You decided to challenge the costs in court and you lost and an order was made against you. We decided to appeal the order but before the appeal was heard, the solicitors made you a without prejudice offer of a 50-50 split – £425. You agree to this and you signed the document to that effect which you returned to the solicitors. Despite that the solicitors are now trying to impose the original £850 order. Is that the correct order of events? "Without prejudice" is certainly something that doesn't seem to be very well understood, including by solicitors. "Without prejudice" can protect an offer from being disclosed to the court where the offer has been refused so that it is not binding on anyone. However, without prejudice cannot be used to hide everything from the court – including wrongdoings, unethical behaviour et cetera. It seems to me that once you sign the agreement you effectively had a contract. I'd like to know a little bit more about the agreement that you signed but presumably it was intended to bring a halt to any further proceedings. I don't think there is any difficulty about disclosing a contract to the court in the circumstances. It is only the offer which was made without prejudice. Once the agreement was accepted and signed then the document acquired a wholly different character. It was no longer an offer open to be accepted or refused. It was a legally binding contract which imposed obligations upon both sides. In my view the solicitors have acted in a highly unethical way and I would begin by making a complaint to the SRA. I wonder whether the solicitors proposed the 50-50 split to you without consulting with their client and when they then contacted their client and told her what had been agreed, she refused to accept it and on that basis the solicitors recognised that they had made an error but rather than accept their responsibility and footing the £425 out of their own pockets, they preferred to get it from you. Of course this is just speculation but it seems to me to be quite a possible scenario. I'd like to see the agreement post up here please – that my sense is that you should complain to the SRA and you should tell the solicitors that this is what you're doing.
    • What's the default date? It should be on your Credit File
    • i point you to two threads whereby you'll see an explanation by andy (post 22 here) https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/410486-lowell-interim-charging-order-from-credit-card-debt-2009/?tab=comments#comment-4912902   and   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406428-remortgage-issue/   if yours says:    written notice of the disposition was given to XX Council ( - disposition = sold vis: disposed of) ..... notice means letter telling them it's been sold -    doesn't say it must be paid or settled BEFORE disposition..   that's the way i read it.          
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
amoreo

Student Overdraft Gone Badly Wrong!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3999 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello, nice site!

I wanted to ask you guys for some help, I've just moved house and wanted to extend my overdraft so I went in to see the folks at Natwest in my local branch.

I wasn't allowed to extend my overdraft due to it being 'dormant', I was unaware you had to put money in within every six days or what not to keep it active, and treated it (foolishly in retrospect) as a loan of £1250 that I spent in the first year of study and snapped the card then and there.

Having moved frequently, I have had no correspondence with Natwest for around a year and a half (maybe a little shy of 2 years), so it came as quite a shock when they told me the money was now being handled by

'EXTERNAL DEBT COLLECTORS'

These three words brought fear to my soul, as I instantly imagined my house being raided by Ross Kemp lookalikes at any minute. So...

1. Why is it being handled by aforementioned debt collectors? The woman asked if I was still in education, which I am, going into a 3rd year, which is an optional top-up and therefore maybe some confusion arose as to my deadline of payment?

2. What charges/fees am I facing over a period of 18+ months?

3. Being a student and having moved house I have precisely £0 at the moment, but am anticipating another year of student loan through in September - what kind of repayment scheme will they allow me? Will I have to pay back the entire 1250 by a certain date or is there some kind of monthly rate of repayment (and how small can I get this to go?)

4. In the meantime, whilst I need to pay money for a deposit, what is the most forgiving loan for a student in my position? (throughout all banks)

Many thanks for any and all help offered, one thing growing up has taught me is that childhood was seriously underrated when I was young!! :p

Hello, nice site!

I wanted to ask you guys for some help, I've just moved house and wanted to extend my overdraft so I went in to see the folks at Natwest in my local branch.

Excellent this is where I do know my stuff very well.

Let's go back a step. You opened the student account, right? You used it as your main account, right? Student loan goes into it?

I wasn't allowed to extend my overdraft due to it being 'dormant', I was unaware you had to put money in within every six days or what not to keep it active, and treated it (foolishly in retrospect) as a loan of £1250 that I spent in the first year of study and snapped the card then and there.

Explain this bit, dormant would be 180 days or 6 months. Where was student loan going?

Having moved frequently, I have had no correspondence with Natwest for around a year and a half (maybe a little shy of 2 years), so it came as quite a shock when they told me the money was now being handled by

Was your address correct?

'EXTERNAL DEBT COLLECTORS'

These three words brought fear to my soul, as I instantly imagined my house being raided by Ross Kemp lookalikes at any minute. So...

Who were they from?

1. Why is it being handled by aforementioned debt collectors? The woman asked if I was still in education, which I am, going into a 3rd year, which is an optional top-up and therefore maybe some confusion arose as to my deadline of payment?

Not sure this is relevant really

2. What charges/fees am I facing over a period of 18+ months?

you what?

3. Being a student and having moved house I have precisely £0 at the moment, but am anticipating another year of student loan through in September - what kind of repayment scheme will they allow me? Will I have to pay back the entire 1250 by a certain date or is there some kind of monthly rate of repayment (and how small can I get this to go?)

Can you clarify stuff before external debt collectors bit.

4. In the meantime, whilst I need to pay money for a deposit, what is the most forgiving loan for a student in my position? (throughout all banks)

Many thanks for any and all help offered, one thing growing up has taught me is that childhood was seriously underrated when I was young!! :p

Can you clarify the bit before external debt collectors cos I work in student banking branches for 8 years up to Feb 2009.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Sorry! To clarify...

- I was unaware that I had to keep the account as a main account and therefore it went inactive for 18 months, I have an account with nationwide which deals with all of my current finance, student loan, job payments etc, my Natwest student account was used specifically for the overdraft (which I have later realised needed to have money going into it as opposed to being treated like a loan.

- My address was not correct as after frequent moves, I failed to send a notification of moving.

I can see I've made a huge error with it, but I was ill-informed and no-one rectified my perception of overdraft as a short term loan with no interest until education was complete.

Firstly I think you should briefly look at this from the Banks point of view. You have a loan/overdraft from them and then for 18 months they get no contact from you and no monies into the account. They are bound to think the loan has gone bad and hence pass it on to debt collectors. When you then appear asking for more money they are hardly going to be overjoyed and agree. However, from your post it is clear you had a different viewpoint. What I would do now is contact the debt collectors to discuss the matter. As until now it is unlikely they could even trace you it is likely they will be agreeable to almost any repayment proposals you put forward.

RBS and Natwest have a condition attached to their student accounts which requires it to be your main account. move away from them and it ceases to benefit from the student features, which are reasonably generous. This is primarily to prevent people from opening accounts with several banks and getting student freebies and discounts from all of them.

As Yourbank states your student loan should be going into the account, then it wouldn't be dormant. and Rhino's thinking mirrors my own - from the bank's veiwpoint you could have emigrated or died by now.

You have a clear choice to make here, either repay the outstanding balance (from your Nationwide account perhaps) and ask to reinstate the student status on your Natwest account. The bank may not agree given what's happened so you'll need to be prepared to do some explaining; Or ask Nationwide for the overdraft increase you need, but you'll still need to repay NatWest.

Rhino's right about te debt collectors, make their job easy and they'll be deighted to speak to you.

Sorry! To clarify...

- I was unaware that I had to keep the account as a main account and therefore it went inactive for 18 months, I have an account with nationwide which deals with all of my current finance, student loan, job payments etc, my Natwest student account was used specifically for the overdraft (which I have later realised needed to have money going into it as opposed to being treated like a loan.

- My address was not correct as after frequent moves, I failed to send a notification of moving.

I can see I've made a huge error with it, but I was ill-informed and no-one rectified my perception of overdraft as a short term loan with no interest until education was complete.

Apologies to Rhino and Rickyd but you guys can continue with your tete a tete ;)

What you need to do is to request copies of the account because no doubt there maybe one or two charges that you can reclaim albeit there is the overdraft that you cannot. I would then perhaps agree to what you can afford to repay the overdraft even if that is £10 a month explaining the fact you are a student still and have very limited income at the moment.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll contact them and let you know the results!

I will probably be back on to discuss any charges that I can appeal against.

Thanks again!

Edited by amoreo