• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Fraudulent Overpayment of Council Tax and JSA - Court Date Set

maureen123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help me, I'm worried to death.

At the end of 2007 I worked a month but didn;t declare it and continued to sign on for that month as it was with a temp agency and didn't know how long the job would last. Luckily I found a temp job over xmas and stopped claiming. After I signed on again.

Again at the end of Jan I found myself out of work again, so signed on. My temp agency contacted me again and said that I have a few hours work for you, but again I kept signing on as I didn't know when this would stop again. It started off a few hours a week and then went onto more hours. During this time I got mixed up with the wrong crowd and got myself into a drugs, so was working more hours and signing on to pay for my habit.

I did this for 4 months, working as many hours as I can, and also every fortnight was claiming housing, JSA and council tax.

I got to a point where I needed to sort my life out so went away for two weeks to clean up my act and sort my life out. Which I have now, and as soon as I got back, did the right thing and stopped claiming.

Six months later I got a letter frm DWP and I was invited to an interview and was under caution and being investigated for a fraudulent claim. I was completely honest in the interview also telling them about the drug habit I had at the time. In the interview I asked what was going to happen they said because I stopped claiming of my own accord and because it was a small amount, that it would not be taken to court and would have to pay the overpayment back.

I claimed just under £2k in total, and am currently repaying that back.

Until today I thought that was over, however, I recieved a summons with a court date. I've got no idea where to go for advice or where to get a solicitor to help me that would be free as I can't afford to pay for one.

Can you please help me? What is the most likely outcome of the court hearing?

Thanks

Maureen

Edited by maureen123

hi maureen when you go to court dont worry...u will get a duty solicitor if ur not workin you will get legal aid i did the same thing,never got a solicitor till i went to court...you are paying it back so the courts should see that and there shouldnt be no further action as what more can they do,,u admitted they excepted and you are paying it back so thats all therer is...if you are that worried please phone cab(citizen advice or ring round your local solicitors)dont panic its not the end off the world everyone has had nearly same prob on ere i think..

good luck

I'm surprised that you have been taken to court for an amount less than £2,000. It suggests that you might have been given a caution or an administrative penalty in the past - is that right?

i did have a conviction but that was for shop theft for a small item and it was not alot of money so had a fine . but that was over 14 years ago and has now been stepped down . I have paid some of the money back now too by birect debt each month i was also told when they cautioned me that it will be unlikely that it would go to court as i did stop doing it of my own acount before they found out and it was not that much money im very worrid in case i get a crimial conviction as for the work i do now i have to have a cbr check every year :-(

I know that you are going to court and the next bit might seem a bit strange----but everything is in your favour, you admitted it at the first opportunity and you are repaying the overpaid amount.

Unless you decide to ask for a trial - the likelyhood is that it will be dealt with in magistrates court and they have much less sentencing options than the higher court.

No-one can really say what they magistrates might do - they could give you a conditional discharge or a fine (but I have known them tag people for benefit offences)

You can ask for the duty solicitor when you get to the magistrates and they will represent you for free. But it might be worth going to a solicitor beforehand - even if you find one of those that do a free half hour (or thereabouts). If nothing else it might just put your mind at rest, even if its only a little bit

My case ids still ongoing nearly 2 years later every court date i go to gets put back , i was paying mine also and then 8 months later took to court procceds of crime against my home also so iv got 2 trials now , they say they will accept 17 thousand ? where my going to get that i dont care anymore i really dont i made my self ill well not any more if i was a killer a rapist a drug dealer id be scott free just now i dne wrong but because i was on my own with a sick child , i had to i got 35 pounds a week at one time to live on so i done it , and to be honest after what iv seen happen to this counrty the only thing i regret is getting stuck in for it

sorry folk but iv gave up now xxxxxxxxxx

• 4 weeks later...

The dreaded DWP - They are cunning you know!

Example (in my case) that in month 3 of Contribution based JSA I did for just over three weeks some part time training that I was paid for. I was paid I think £390 as I left just having ended the training. I was honest (under 15 hours per week) and gave my NI number. At the end of the 6 months of JSA I got the letter for an under caution interview. I in being honest was genuinely unaware I was supposed to tell the JC. Anyhow a few weeks later was the letter telling me I had to pay back £198.60 in overpaid JSA. Having been quite upset from the whole experience I thought that was that. As I'm still unemployed I had problems paying and they agreed some silly low monthly payment.

Two days later a letter telling me I owed the statutory 30% penalty as well and had to go to the JC to sign I agreed. You see not agreeing is heavily weighted in their favour and what they can do. I put the words 'Foced to sign under protest' to the smile of the officer there on each sheet.

Personally whilst I understand ignorance is not a reason for 'escaping' I find the whole business quite 'big brotherish'. In fact not once (and I still sign on) have I ever been sked if I have or intend to start any employment.

I did not even see a way of appealing anything. I believe you cannot win because the rules are without leniancy, discretion or the remotest bit of understanding!

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--