Jump to content

You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds


You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds



BankFodder BankFodder


BankFodder BankFodder

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Hi,  I'm new here, and hoping that this is the right place to post this.   I applied for pip and was awarded standard mobility (10 points).  I did an M.R. but got the same result. They acknowledge that I can't leave my house without having someone with me. They accept that I'm not completely housebound as I go out to appointments, which are not a regular occurrence, they also said that they can't award me enhanced because I'm not out most days.  Is this correct?  Surely it shouldn't matter how often I go out? 
    • The Legal Ombudsman has a wider remit than the SRA, and can always refer matters on to the SRA where they find a breach of the SRA's code.   I'd suggest writing to the solicitors, highlighting these issues, asking them to refund the money. If they don't then complain to the LO.
    • Good morning all,   I have an update for you all, shortly after my first hearing i was told i would need to have a rehearing with another company, Obviously i agreed but after the initial grievance hearing the person then asked me to enter into a private conversation, I have received the settlement offer and are disgusted as its not even half of my monthly  salary, I'm not sure what to do at this stage as i dont have the funds to finance a solicitor,so any advice would be appreciated.  
    • Sorry, but what does this mean?   Who are ARC? It would be helpful if you could be a little bit more clear about what happened. I don't understand why you are not simply proceeding against Amazon – because it is clearly their responsibility as it was their driver or courier company
    • I understand that you were involved in a contentious divorce in respect of which there was a bill for court costs – £850. You decided to challenge the costs in court and you lost and an order was made against you. We decided to appeal the order but before the appeal was heard, the solicitors made you a without prejudice offer of a 50-50 split – £425. You agree to this and you signed the document to that effect which you returned to the solicitors. Despite that the solicitors are now trying to impose the original £850 order. Is that the correct order of events? "Without prejudice" is certainly something that doesn't seem to be very well understood, including by solicitors. "Without prejudice" can protect an offer from being disclosed to the court where the offer has been refused so that it is not binding on anyone. However, without prejudice cannot be used to hide everything from the court – including wrongdoings, unethical behaviour et cetera. It seems to me that once you sign the agreement you effectively had a contract. I'd like to know a little bit more about the agreement that you signed but presumably it was intended to bring a halt to any further proceedings. I don't think there is any difficulty about disclosing a contract to the court in the circumstances. It is only the offer which was made without prejudice. Once the agreement was accepted and signed then the document acquired a wholly different character. It was no longer an offer open to be accepted or refused. It was a legally binding contract which imposed obligations upon both sides. In my view the solicitors have acted in a highly unethical way and I would begin by making a complaint to the SRA. I wonder whether the solicitors proposed the 50-50 split to you without consulting with their client and when they then contacted their client and told her what had been agreed, she refused to accept it and on that basis the solicitors recognised that they had made an error but rather than accept their responsibility and footing the £425 out of their own pockets, they preferred to get it from you. Of course this is just speculation but it seems to me to be quite a possible scenario. I'd like to see the agreement post up here please – that my sense is that you should complain to the SRA and you should tell the solicitors that this is what you're doing.
  • Our picks

    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies

Fraudulent Overpayment of Council Tax and JSA - Court Date Set

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3974 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Can anyone help me, I'm worried to death.

At the end of 2007 I worked a month but didn;t declare it and continued to sign on for that month as it was with a temp agency and didn't know how long the job would last. Luckily I found a temp job over xmas and stopped claiming. After I signed on again.

Again at the end of Jan I found myself out of work again, so signed on. My temp agency contacted me again and said that I have a few hours work for you, but again I kept signing on as I didn't know when this would stop again. It started off a few hours a week and then went onto more hours. During this time I got mixed up with the wrong crowd and got myself into a drugs, so was working more hours and signing on to pay for my habit.

I did this for 4 months, working as many hours as I can, and also every fortnight was claiming housing, JSA and council tax.

I got to a point where I needed to sort my life out so went away for two weeks to clean up my act and sort my life out. Which I have now, and as soon as I got back, did the right thing and stopped claiming.

Six months later I got a letter frm DWP and I was invited to an interview and was under caution and being investigated for a fraudulent claim. I was completely honest in the interview also telling them about the drug habit I had at the time. In the interview I asked what was going to happen they said because I stopped claiming of my own accord and because it was a small amount, that it would not be taken to court and would have to pay the overpayment back.

I claimed just under £2k in total, and am currently repaying that back.

Until today I thought that was over, however, I recieved a summons with a court date. I've got no idea where to go for advice or where to get a solicitor to help me that would be free as I can't afford to pay for one.

Can you please help me? What is the most likely outcome of the court hearing?



Edited by maureen123

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

hi maureen when you go to court dont worry...u will get a duty solicitor if ur not workin you will get legal aid i did the same thing,never got a solicitor till i went to court...you are paying it back so the courts should see that and there shouldnt be no further action as what more can they do,,u admitted they excepted and you are paying it back so thats all therer is...if you are that worried please phone cab(citizen advice or ring round your local solicitors)dont panic its not the end off the world everyone has had nearly same prob on ere i think..

good luck

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised that you have been taken to court for an amount less than £2,000. It suggests that you might have been given a caution or an administrative penalty in the past - is that right?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

i did have a conviction but that was for shop theft for a small item and it was not alot of money so had a fine . but that was over 14 years ago and has now been stepped down . I have paid some of the money back now too by birect debt each month i was also told when they cautioned me that it will be unlikely that it would go to court as i did stop doing it of my own acount before they found out and it was not that much money im very worrid in case i get a crimial conviction as for the work i do now i have to have a cbr check every year :-(

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your help :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that you are going to court and the next bit might seem a bit strange----but everything is in your favour, you admitted it at the first opportunity and you are repaying the overpaid amount.


Unless you decide to ask for a trial - the likelyhood is that it will be dealt with in magistrates court and they have much less sentencing options than the higher court.


No-one can really say what they magistrates might do - they could give you a conditional discharge or a fine (but I have known them tag people for benefit offences)


You can ask for the duty solicitor when you get to the magistrates and they will represent you for free. But it might be worth going to a solicitor beforehand - even if you find one of those that do a free half hour (or thereabouts). If nothing else it might just put your mind at rest, even if its only a little bit

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

My case ids still ongoing nearly 2 years later every court date i go to gets put back , i was paying mine also and then 8 months later took to court procceds of crime against my home also so iv got 2 trials now , they say they will accept 17 thousand ? where my going to get that i dont care anymore i really dont i made my self ill well not any more if i was a killer a rapist a drug dealer id be scott free just now i dne wrong but because i was on my own with a sick child , i had to i got 35 pounds a week at one time to live on so i done it , and to be honest after what iv seen happen to this counrty the only thing i regret is getting stuck in for it

sorry folk but iv gave up now xxxxxxxxxx

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The dreaded DWP - They are cunning you know!

Example (in my case) that in month 3 of Contribution based JSA I did for just over three weeks some part time training that I was paid for. I was paid I think £390 as I left just having ended the training. I was honest (under 15 hours per week) and gave my NI number. At the end of the 6 months of JSA I got the letter for an under caution interview. I in being honest was genuinely unaware I was supposed to tell the JC. Anyhow a few weeks later was the letter telling me I had to pay back £198.60 in overpaid JSA. Having been quite upset from the whole experience I thought that was that. As I'm still unemployed I had problems paying and they agreed some silly low monthly payment.

Two days later a letter telling me I owed the statutory 30% penalty as well and had to go to the JC to sign I agreed. You see not agreeing is heavily weighted in their favour and what they can do. I put the words 'Foced to sign under protest' to the smile of the officer there on each sheet.

Personally whilst I understand ignorance is not a reason for 'escaping' I find the whole business quite 'big brotherish'. In fact not once (and I still sign on) have I ever been sked if I have or intend to start any employment.

I did not even see a way of appealing anything. I believe you cannot win because the rules are without leniancy, discretion or the remotest bit of understanding!


When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...