Nottingham LJA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all....

Just received a very threatening letter from somebody called Nottigham LJA, Carrington Street, Nottingham, NG2 1EE Tel :0115 9477523.

It looks like a really bad attempt at impersonating Nottigham City Council as the crest is very smudged etc....

However, am just a bit concerned it may have a slight chance of being genuine so thought I would post here.

The letter states that it is from

Division 119

Acc: 55096048M NT

Born : My Birthday

No Dear sir or anything just the following :

The amount you owe is £623.50

As you have failed to make payment as directed, you are hereby given notice that one or more of the following steps listed below will be taken against you.

Issue a warrant of distree for the purpose of levying the sum due

Register the account in the Register of Judgements, Orders and Fines, which could restrict furthur credit options available to you and make it difficult to get loans, mortgages and credit cards.

Make an attatchment of Earnings Order (for deductions to be made from your salary ) or an application for benefit deduction ( for deductions to be made from your benefits)

Make a vehicle clamping order

Refer your case to cort, which may decide to increase your fine by 50%, and take furthur action or commit you to prison.

Take any furthur steps permitted under provisions of fine collection regulations which apply to any other enforcement power of a magistrates court.

PAYMENT IN FULL WITHIN 10 WORKING DAYS OF THIS NOTICE WILL CANCEL ANY FURTHUR ACTION. PLEASE CONTACT THIS OFFICE IMMEDIATLY IF YOU CANNOT PAY AS DIRECTED.

APPEAL

You have the right to appeal to the court against a fine officers descision.Such appeal must be made in writing, stating the reasons for the appeal and supported by written evidence you have. it must be recieved by this office, at the above address, within 10 working days.

PLEASE MARK ALL CORROSPONDENCE FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE FINES OFFICER.

SERIAL NUMBER: 1537

Now...I was'nt aware I owed Nottingham Council any money, and the general quality of the letter and it being a PO Box and when you ring the number there's no Welcome to Nottingham Council...the number just rings and rings at 6.30pm....

Anyone come across this and any feedback before I ring?

Thanks

Furby

I'd ring the council in the morning and ask them if they know anything about it. Or better still, take a photocopy of it and take it into their offices. If they are using an outside agency to collect for them then they are responsible for how they behave.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

carrington street is near the magistrates court but not the actual address - I think it may be an external collection agency. I would follow the advice above and contact the court though to see if there is any outstanding liability orders etc

• 1 year later...