I Don't Know What To Do!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a very long story so I apologise in advance, but I need some advice as to where I stand on certain things.

I have a lot of outstanding debt to several companies and each one has now been passed onto DCAs. I got myself into a situation where I wasn't paying anything when me and the ex split in 2006 and I was sleeping on a mate's sofa for 6 months. I wasn't earning enough to pay anything towards my debts. I estimate that I owe about 17-18k and my last payments were about 2007.

I have been contacted by various DCAs who were incredibly rude and harrassed me non-stop. As I've moved around a fair bit none of them have my home address, only my mobile number. I am currently unemployed and also pregnant so the chances of anyone employing me now is very slim. My OH knows all about my debts as I was honest with him from the start and as he's been through it all himself he understood the situation I was in.

I haven't responded to any of the phonecalls I have been receiving since 2007. I was once harrassed by a DCA who told me I was going to have to pay £500 a month to clear my account or go to prison! That scared me into avoiding them and I've just not responded to them since.

My question now is what should I do? I have had a couple of letters at current address fishing for info, but as I've not responded or confirmed anything they've stopped. The calls are coming in a few times a week and they're texting me as well now. Do you think I should deal with this debt or just carry on as I am?

I know this non-payment for 2 years is going to sound bad to the people that are paying their debts, but I really made some bad decisions with my life and it's been hard to come back from. Things just got out of hand.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

TranceAddict xxx

Hi tranceaddict, no one is here to judge you or the reasons for your predicament, so don't be apologetic!

Can you post more information regarding the debts - type af debt (credit card, loan etc.), who the lenders were and who the DCA's are? Are bailiffs involved?

What have you received to date? Default notices, court papers etc.

Do you have any of the original agreements?

If possible, post copies of relevant paperwork (minus all identifying information) via photobucket.

In the meantime, general advice is never speak to a DCA on the phone, only in writing.

This is a very long story so I apologise in advance, but I need some advice as to where I stand on certain things.

I have a lot of outstanding debt to several companies and each one has now been passed onto DCAs. I got myself into a situation where I wasn't paying anything when me and the ex split in 2006 and I was sleeping on a mate's sofa for 6 months. I wasn't earning enough to pay anything towards my debts. I estimate that I owe about 17-18k and my last payments were about 2007.

I have been contacted by various DCAs who were incredibly rude and harrassed me non-stop. As I've moved around a fair bit none of them have my home address, only my mobile number. I am currently unemployed and also pregnant so the chances of anyone employing me now is very slim. My OH knows all about my debts as I was honest with him from the start and as he's been through it all himself he understood the situation I was in.

I haven't responded to any of the phonecalls I have been receiving since 2007. I was once harrassed by a DCA who told me I was going to have to pay £500 a month to clear my account or go to prison! That scared me into avoiding them and I've just not responded to them since.

My question now is what should I do? I have had a couple of letters at current address fishing for info, but as I've not responded or confirmed anything they've stopped. The calls are coming in a few times a week and they're texting me as well now. Do you think I should deal with this debt or just carry on as I am?

I know this non-payment for 2 years is going to sound bad to the people that are paying their debts, but I really made some bad decisions with my life and it's been hard to come back from. Things just got out of hand.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

TranceAddict xxx

We're not going to judge you. Welcome to CAG :)

Do you remember the name of the company that the person who said you were going to get sent to prison for?

Only council tax arreas, fines and some other crown debts would finally lead to a short prison term for non payment but only after a very lengthy process.

Welcome TranceAddict!

Firstly - don't panic and don't feel guilty! They cannot send you to prison - debt is a civil NOT criminal issue. They are relying on your guilt and fear to make you cough up what you don't have.

There are plenty of knowledgeable Caggers who will walk you through exactly what you have to do.

We've all made mistakes - that's how we learn! A boy, the CAG is one of best teachers I've had! :D

Congratulations on finding CAG and facing up to your demons!

ftc

Thanks so much guys! I've had people judge me for it in the past as if being in debt and burying your head in the sand through fear makes you a bad person!

I owe:

£10.5k Nationwide Loan

£2k Lloyds TSB overdraft

£2.5k Capital One Credit Card

£900 Catalogue

£2k Black Horse Loan

I have been chased for Nationwide by KPR Debt Recovery, which I believe are the DCAs for them based in he same building? I only defaulted on Lloyds recently so not sre on the status of that. Capital One were chasing me under the name of Debitas with the same office address! They were the ones who told me to pay £500 a month or else. Now it's Lowell Portfolio chasing for that one. Black Horse were chasing me under the name of Nationwide Debt Collection who also seemed to be the same company.

None of these companies have my current address so are not in communication with me via letters, only calls on my mobile I'm ignoring all the time. The last letters I remember were telling me to pay the full amounts or my accounts may be passed onto their legal departments for further action. I never got threatened with anything more than that and the letters I get now at new address are just fishing to see if I do live there.

None of my debts are tied into the government, thank God!

I don't have any of my original paperwork as these debts were taken on years ago and I was paying them up until about 2007/early 2008 before I just gave up. One month I gave Nationwide £90 because they refused to accept any less and I didn't eat for the last 2 weeks of the month :mad: They didn't care that I had so many bills to pay.

I also owe water bill of £100ish and Virgin Media a couple of hundredish but nothing seems to have come back for those? I don't have access to old addresses and post at them so no idea if more letters arrived after I left.

I'm now being chased by AIC and Red Knight by phone asking me to call them, but I'm not going to...yet!

Thanks again xxx

What you need to do is firstly NEVER EVER let a DCA take your money that's for food!!! They should be ashamed of themselves. Report them!

Report the idiots who told you you'd go to prison to the OFT and TS.

The water bill is a priority.

You need to check your credit report to see if there are any CCJs. This will alert the DCAs as to your new address but that's an evil we can help you deal with as and when they rear their ugly heads.

Hello and Welcome, tranceaddict.

You will get all the help you require from all the superb people on this site :)

Best thing to do is start a new thread for each of your debts in this Forum, giving details of what the score is with them at the moment, makes it much easier for people to keep track of your progress and to advise you every step of the way.

Good luck with that.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I have looked at my Experian Credit Report today and no CCJs or anything showing up. The worst is a few of my accounts say "defaulted" in red and give the date I stopped paying. That's the thing, nothing seems to have come of all these debts I have. I'm really surprised and don't know if it's simply because they're sending letters to a really old address and I just don't know about them? The calls on my phone are only from 2 companies, but I don't know what they're chasing yet...

OK, look on the bright side - the situation could be a lot worse, ie. council tax, fines etc.

I would suggest letting the "fishers" go on fishing, don't do their job for them.

The DCA's who appear to have traced you can be handled.

You need to send the CCA request letter to each, unsigned, with a postal order for £1. This will get you (maybe...) copies of the original agreements. You may also want to include the parts about telephone harassment and door-step visits. The letters should sent recorded delivery, keep the receipts for the postage and the PO.

It's quite possible some will be unable to comply with the CCA (lowells spring to mind) - we can then move onto the next stage....

They will have 12+2 days to comply.

Do tell the CAGGERS which DCA said this to you, we'd all like to know? :mad:

Name and shame time then! It was Debitas Legal Services acting on behalf of Capital One, except they both have the same Nottingham office address? I explained my situation to the guy on the phone and it was my first dealing with a DCA. The guy was so rude to me and told they would not be prepared to accept monthly payments equivalent to my minimum payment I was paying on my credit card or less. He then said the account had to be settled over a period of 4-5 months and that they would only accept £500 a month. He even asked if anyone could lend me the money every month just to pay the debt off! I was at work when I took the call and ended up balling my eyes out and having to tell my boss what had happened :mad:

The golden rule as a starter here is to never speak to a DCA on the phone & refuse to answer security questions if they phone you.

Everything must be in writing only.

He sensed you were vunerable/unfamiliar with everything & just went for the kill so to speak.

I would consider reporting Debitas to the OFT & trading standards.

Dont worry...you'll be fine on here with all of us supporting you now ;)

Welcome to our forums, as you have already discovered, no one on here makes judgements, after all, debts are what brought us all onto this site, and I for one, feel it has saved my life.

First things first, concentrate on yourself and your 'little person' you are the two most important people in your life at the moment.

Would I be correct to assume you are in receipt of benefits? If so, and anyone actually issued Court proceeding against you (a long way off at this moment in time, and highly unlikely) you would only be order to pay around £1 per month as a maximum payment, so the future really does not look so bleak.

Keep us posted and we will be able to help at every step along the way.

I am not on any benefits at the moment at all because my other half works full time so I'm not entitled to anything. I literally have no income so if I contact these DCAs I couldn't afford to sort anything out anyway, that's my problem at the moment. I was just wondering where I stand if I have no money?